SASS Wire Forum

Shooting Multiple Calibers

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Do what you like, just pay attention to what it is you are doing.

I'll mix 45 Colt, 44-40, and 44 Specials throughout the year. I generally mark the case heads with a marker to denote something different about the ammo. I've never had a problem with getting something wrong. I do however always follow the same routine at the load table so if I have different calibers of R and P my routine helps me observe caliber being loaded into which firearm if I am using different calibers.

Simply put, we're playing with firearms. Gotta pay attention.

10 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

^^^^ THIS!

Most are talking about beeing focused at the loading table where taking your time isn't a (big) issue. But grabing the proper cartridge for a reload on the stage on the clock is a different story. For me it could cause a problem two have different calibers as I use the same hand to reload pistol and rifle (through loading gate).

Equanimous

This is certainly an issue and is the reason why my gun belt loops have .44 Special on one side and .44-40 on the other, separated by three .45-70 in the middle.  Never had an issue confusing the latter with the first two :)

Seamus

The chances of needing to go to the belt for a pistol reload is so low that it would be of no consideration to me!  If I have one or two rifle reloads reachable I'm fine, and I have only needed that a couple of times in the last 10 years.

51 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The chances of needing to go to the belt for a pistol reload is so low that it would be of no consideration to me!  If I have one or two rifle reloads reachable I'm fine, and I have only needed that a couple of times in the last 10 years.

Right? Around here it’s usually your choice of rifle or pistol to finish a string (like 1776). I always choose pistol because I’m either using a schofield and I like watching the empties fly, or I’m doing my signature trademark of loading one and spinning the cylinder as fast as I can then getting it to fire first try just like “Joe” in fistful of dollars 

We have traded off and sold off all of our non-.44 caliber cowboy arms.i

Now all of our six-guns and rifles will shoot the same RNFP .44 S&W loads.

It really helps when there's so much other match stuff to deal with.

Something along those lines. 

I recently acquired a Colt SAA in 38WCF and got it up in shooting condition.   I shot up 100 rounds and reloaded them.  This gun with a Cimarron Model P in 38WCF and a Marlin 94 In 38WCF that I rebuilt,  I had a full set of guns 38WCF. But this morning I  decided to try the ammo in the Model P.  They wouldn't chamber.  Good thing I checked.

I have new brass I could load that would fix the problem. And the Dillon is set up.  But I had other things to do ourside.  So...  I fell back on on my Cattleman in 45Colt and my Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt.  

Next Saturday,  we will probably have a match at our home range.  I should be ready to bring out the 38WCF. 

I have 1 full set up each in 38 spl, 44/40, and 45. I bring a backup set and ammo to every match. If I have an issue with one gun the full set gets put away and I switch to a complete different set just to avoid the possible mix up. The last match I was at a veteran shooter thought he was having a feeding issue with his rifle. It was chambered in 44/40. Somehow he had 45's mixed up in his shell box and that's what was causing the rifle not to cycle/chamber correctly. I was running 45's but had my 44/40s on the cart in case of a malfunction so we got him the ammo he needed. 

53 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

... The last match I was at a veteran shooter thought he was having a feeding issue with his rifle. It was chambered in 44/40. Somehow he had 45's mixed up in his shell box and that's what was causing the rifle not to cycle/chamber correctly....

Couple years ago at Texas State Championship I was on same posse as Tex and Cat Ballou.  Cat was shooting .44-40's, and somehow a .45 got in there and caused her a number of misses on the rifle.  Tex (can't get much more "veteran shooter" than that!) is the one who loaded her ammo and boy was he in the doghouse the rest of that day!

I've been shooting .44 Mag in my Original Vaqueros for 22 years now and .45 LC in my Uberti M73 Carbine for 6 years. Open up my loading block, rifle ammo has a red stripe across the base of the cartridge case, .44 mag has a blue stripe across the base of the cartridge case. This means I can use my 3 most accurate firearms. KISS, I've NEVER had a problem mixing ammunition up at the loading table where the chatter gets silly at times.

Archived