SASS Wire Forum

Marlin lever rifle - older 39

J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526

Asking for help on my marlin 39. It is a * four digit serial number rifle. Has a 24" octagon barrel. The stock is different than any that I have seen. It has a cheek rest stock and the forearm is longer, 13 1/2" from receiver to the front of end cap. Steel grip cap and fancy inlaid steel butt plate. Did Marlin use left over 92 or 97 stocks on 39's? 

Thank you, JS Sooner

949842933_Annotation2020-04-2212.jpg.6c7f71eb1bdce1ccd4a6843d795e8955.jpg503596176_Annotation2020-04-2213.jpg.7525c864779b10d5950aba159a49548e.jpg

I would venture a guess that this is a deluxe, high-end model of a 39.    From the peep sight to the decorative grip cap and screw, extra effort was put into this gun.   But I'm not enough of a follower of high-end Marlins to know more than that.

Good luck, GJ

I suspect you have a Model 1891.  First Marlin lever-action for .22 S/L/LR or .32 rimfire and .32 centerfire.  According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, an octagonal blued 24-inch barrel was standard.  Buckhorn rear and blade front sight, case-colored hammer, lever, and buttplate,  Plain walnut stock.  "1891" might be stamped on the tang.  The peep sight in your picture was a factory option.  1st Variation was marked "Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New Haven, CT. U.S.A. Pat'd Nov. 19, 1878, April 2, 1889 Aug 12, 1890  The Model 1892 followed the 1891, with the tang marked "1892" or "Model 92"  Marlin offered the 1892 with "many options."  The .22 caliber 1892 is considered "rare."  Nice rifle!

16 minutes ago, Beans Ahgin said:

I suspect you have a Model 1891.  First Marlin lever-action for .22 S/L/LR or .32 rimfire and .32 centerfire.  According to the Standard Catalog of Firearms, an octagonal blued 24-inch barrel was standard.  Buckhorn rear and blade front sight, case-colored hammer, lever, and buttplate,  Plain walnut stock.  "1891" might be stamped on the tang.  The peep sight in your picture was a factory option.  1st Variation was marked "Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New Haven, CT. U.S.A. Pat'd Nov. 19, 1878, April 2, 1889 Aug 12, 1890  The Model 1892 followed the 1891, with the tang marked "1892" or "Model 92"  Marlin offered the 1892 with "many options."  The .22 caliber 1892 is considered "rare."  Nice rifle!

Thank you for this information, but this rifle is a Model 39.  Could Marlin have used up old stocks on early 39's or made some up with special stocks?

under tang.jpg

15 minutes ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

Thank you for this information, but this rifle is a Model 39.  Could Marlin have used up old stocks on early 39's or made some up with special stocks?

under tang.jpg

Here is a very informative thread concerning a similar gun.

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/i-have-an-original-marlin-model-39-takedown-with-a-six-pointed-star-on-th...-581751.html

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I don’t have the answers you’re seeking, but that’s a special rifle. ❤️

I agree Charlie.

Without being an expert on these older models, etc..... I will say that your rifle looks like a couple that I have seen

on a shelf in Kingston, TN that belongs to the owner.   He 'was' a collector of sorts and is now selling these for a

nice sum of $$$$.

If indeed, it is one of these rifles, be VERY cautious about under pricing it.   Its condition could make it

worth some serious money.

On the other hand, it could be only work a few hundred bucks..... and not a couple thousand.

..........Widder

Could they have fitted another older model stock on this gun?  Yeah.  

Would they have?  I don't think so.   Since the stocks AFAIK don't interchange, I can't see the factory hand working one over to fit a 39. 

I would guess you have a semi-custom stock with a fancy grip cap and inletted steel butt plate.

Goody's thread reference has great info in it, and points toward yours being a late 20's or early 30's production.  Is your serial number before or after the one in the reference article?

GJ

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Interesting site, I like what they have to say about these star 39's.  I'll have to check out some of their other links for additional information.

57 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I agree Charlie.

Without being an expert on these older models, etc..... I will say that your rifle looks like a couple that I have seen

on a shelf in Kingston, TN that belongs to the owner.   He 'was' a collector of sorts and is now selling these for a

nice sum of $$$$.

If indeed, it is one of these rifles, be VERY cautious about under pricing it.   Its condition could make it

worth some serious money.

On the other hand, it could be only work a few hundred bucks..... and not a couple thousand.

..........Widder

Well other than wanting to find out more about my rifle, you hit the nail on the head.  If I decide to sell, I certainly don't want to under price only to find out later it was resold for much more. 

Thank you,

JSS

15 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Could they have fitted another older model stock on this gun?  Yeah.  

Would they have?  I don't think so.   Since the stocks AFAIK don't interchange, I can't see the factory hand working one over to fit a 39. 

I would guess you have a semi-custom stock with a fancy grip cap and inletted steel butt plate.

Goody's thread reference has great info in it, and points toward yours being a late 20's or early 30's production.  Is your serial number before or after the one in the reference article?

GJ

Mine is a little later S 9602.  Not knowing what changes were made between the different models, I thought the stock may be compatible with minor adjustments.  A semi custom stock fitted later could effect the value. 

Thank you,

JSS

The link mentioned a book that is a common Marlin historical record - by Brophy, I believe.  He's a historian who was on Marlin payroll at one point.    I don't have that book, but you may want to try to at least check with a library when they open back up.

It can be pricy!  Here's Amazon's stock point:

https://www.amazon.com/Marlin-Firearms-History-Guns-Company/dp/0811708772

Good luck, GJ

Very nice Marlin you have there.  I would suggest that you become a member of www.marlinowners.com    They have lots of folks who know and collect Marlins.  I'm sure that if you ask them about your Marlin, they will be able to give you all the info you are looking for.

Buckeye Pete

3 hours ago, Buckeye Pete, SASS # 29941 said:

Very nice Marlin you have there.  I would suggest that you become a member of www.marlinowners.com    They have lots of folks who know and collect Marlins.  I'm sure that if you ask them about your Marlin, they will be able to give you all the info you are looking for.

Buckeye Pete

I may be a member there, I have looked at their site before.

Thank you

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

beautiful rifle , thanks for posting , have you asked here ? some really helpful and knowledgeable folks on this site - https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I'll check them out.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

The link mentioned a book that is a common Marlin historical record - by Brophy, I believe.  He's a historian who was on Marlin payroll at one point.    I don't have that book, but you may want to try to at least check with a library when they open back up.

It can be pricy!  Here's Amazon's stock point:

https://www.amazon.com/Marlin-Firearms-History-Guns-Company/dp/0811708772

Good luck, GJ

This book is too much for me to purchase, I'll look in the library sometime.   It is available, at least part of it is on Google Books.  I found some information on their 1892 but not on the 39.  It may be in the pages they don't show in preview mode. 

Captured this photo showing a 1892 with upgraded stock with cheek piece, checkering and nicer wood.  At least this shows that Marlin had the option on earlier rifles.  Hope that is a good sign that the stock on mine could be from the factory as an option.

504914274_92specialorderwithcheekpiece.jpg.27a9ce7403272387f3a57923b84db545.jpg

Archived