SASS Wire Forum

Question about an 1851 revolver (replica

marten

I am asking this question as a guest.

I recently acquired this replica 1851 BP revolver and am trying to identify the manufacturer.  It resembles a Uberti 1851 Navy Arms Replica that I own but neither Uberti nor Pietta claim manufacture.  

It seems to be a quality manufacture.

I would be interested in finding out who made the gun.

martinwade@centurylink.net 

1851 Old Style .44 - 1.jpg

1851 Old Style .44 Barrel Inscription.jpg

Serial number.jpg

Somewhere on the gun will be proof marks. Those will aid the experts in identifying the maker.

Maybe one of these will help. If I were to guess I'd say Armi San Marco

http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458282

Can you get a better picture of the marks in front of the wedge?

Based upon what I have learned in the last few minutes, I do agree it is most likely an Armi San Marcos revolver.

It appears to have the ASM logo on the side.

I have ordered a trigger from GunParts.com but it won't arrive until after this silly lockdown is over.

I thank you all for your assistance and because of my interest in BP firearms, am considering joining the SASS.

Besides this "paperweight", I also own a Uberti Walker Colt .44, a Navy Arms .44, and a Hawken .50 cal rifle.

20200422_120259.jpg

I have fired both my 1851 Navy and my 1847 Walker.  Great experience.  The thing that really impressed me was when the Walker went off, all the .223s on the range went silent until they found out that it wasn't coming in their direction, whatever it was.

Thanks for the info and all of the help I received today from other members.

ive not shot either of mine or the 1860 army yet but good weather is coming and ranges are open , my life is a bit more open now so may get that done , enjoy yours , 

10 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

IIRC Uberti never made a brass 51 in 44 caliber. Maybe no brassers at all.

Uberti Brass 51 in 44 caliber:

po10HmLRj

pnNsETJJj

Very nice firearm.  I tell folks that because I'm an old guy, I have to use a Walker.   This is the Walker!

Walker Colt .44 Cal (2).jpeg

12 hours ago, marten said:

I have fired both my 1851 Navy and my 1847 Walker.  Great experience.  The thing that really impressed me was when the Walker went off, all the .223s on the range went silent until they found out that it wasn't coming in their direction, whatever it was.

Thanks for the info and all of the help I received today from other members.

Once shut down the indoor range at Hogdon Powder for about the same reason. 
They did ask me nicely to please shoot something else.   This was way back when Bruce worked the counter.

Something about the smell of BP in the morning...

I don't use indoor ranges anymore because the last time I was firing indoors with a .22 revolver, the guy in the next lane was firing a .454 Casull.  The noise was deafening and I had earplugs and muffs on.

The Walker is great to fire.  I use the pellets as opposed to the actual black powder.  When I fire it, I am using the full 60 grains backing up a .454 ball.

Needless to say, because of the weight of the gun, 4.5 lbs empty. there is very little recoil.

But it is impressive when it goes off.

9 hours ago, marten said:

The Walker is great to fire.  I use the pellets as opposed to the actual black powder.  When I fire it, I am using the full 60 grains backing up a .454 ball.

Needless to say, because of the weight of the gun, 4.5 lbs empty. there is very little recoil.

But it is impressive when it goes off.

You should shoot some nice coarse real BP in that Walker. In addidion to the boom you would get an impressive amount of flame. Fire two rounds. One to get their attention and a second to show them what shooting a Walker was really like in the old west.

For your viewing pleasure

Must admit that is spectacular!

Archived