SASS Wire Forum

the way things go

Highwall

I need to combine two topics here to give the message.....

So as it goes I ordered a metal stamp set of the alphabet and numbers from ebay. I wanted to stamp the name "Quatrefoil" into the leather sleeve. 

Turns out in the set I get has two 'P's" and no "Q!" What are the chances? 

I sent a message to the seller, he apologized and offered me a 20% discount on my next order.

:angry:

unnamed (5).jpg

Box up the set and send it back....whether he wants it or not.  F he refuses to refund your payment there’s a way to get repaid through eBay.

Split suede does not stamp well at all. Youll end up banging holes in that material trying to get it to stamp.You are better off using acrylic paint, or getting a square of veg tan leather, stamping it, then sewing it on to the suede. There is a reason split suede was used to build and sell that sleeve-its cheap. Split suede is a by product of "thinning" veg tan leather down to a smaller weight (thickness)..it is a slice of the flesh side of the animal..similar to the thin slices of wood that result from planing a board. The grain side (outer skin) is what is needed to stamp.

3 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Split suede does not stamp well at all. Youll end up banging holes in that material trying to get it to stamp.You are better off using acrylic paint, or getting a square of veg tan leather, stamping it, then sewing it on to the suede. There is a reason split suede was used to build and sell that sleeve-its cheap. Split suede is a by product of "thinning" veg tan leather down to a smaller weight (thickness)..it is a slice of the flesh side of the animal..similar to the thin slices of wood that result from planing a board. The grain side (outer skin) is what is needed to stamp.

He is correct, it will not stamp well! There is the option to brand the lettering on the suede in lieu of paint! There is are branding tool on the market.

6 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Nice.  My very first car alllllllll those years ago was a '66 Triumph Spitfire.  I doubt I could get one leg an it or an MG or the above these days. 

I had an Alfa (a regular Spider Veloce, not the Quadrifoglio) in 1986.  No way would I fit now.  Saying that I "outgrew it" doesn't quite tell the story.

LL

Well the leather was plenty thick enough so the stamps worked just fine. Only paid $14 for the set so no big deal.

i learned to drive in a triumph TR3  i miss that car but i doubt i could get in and out of it these days either , funny how i still wake up in the morning thinking i might tho .......and i would love to try one more time , 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 9:02 AM, blazeafar SASS # 6750 said:

He is correct, it will not stamp well! There is the option to brand the lettering on the suede in lieu of paint! There is are branding tool on the market.

Actually after applying some olive oil to the leather the stamping worked quite well. I placed a 2x4 under it and didn't hammer it too hard. I'm happy with the results.

Used an "O" and a small screwdriver tip. :)

Archived