SASS Wire Forum

Hexagonal Bullets in 1860

Sedalia Dave

37 minutes ago, blazeafar SASS # 6750 said:

Yep some day I'll have the money and time to get and enjoy one.

Maybe this is the "Hexagon barreled" Winchester from another thread.

Whitworth-Winchester?  They both begin with "W"! I could see where that would confuse a lot of the "experts".

The guy just forgot it was inside the barrel instead of outside.

I think a breech loader like the 63 Sharps fitted with a Whitworth hex barrel using paper cartridges would just about be a really good design. Or carry it a little further and develop a Rolling Block style action that uses a cartridge with an over powder card like a lot of Creedmoor shooters use.

Would love to take one to a long range competition. 

Breech loading should get rid of a lot of the issues caused by fouling and muzzle loading bullets.

52 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I think a breech loader like the 63 Sharps fitted with a Whitworth hex barrel using paper cartridges would just about be a really good design. Or carry it a little further and develop a Rolling Block style action that uses a cartridge with an over powder card like a lot of Creedmoor shooters use.

Would love to take one to a long range competition. 

Breech loading should get rid of a lot of the issues caused by fouling and muzzle loading bullets.

Breech loading a hexagonal bullet would fiddly.  Gotta line up the angles on the bullet with the angles on the bore- but without being able to see them.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

BTW

Owning a Whitworth and a mould that casts a properly sized bullet for it is on my bucket list.

Dixie used to have some repros.  Try them and see if they still do.  The mould cost extra.

5 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Breech loading a hexagonal bullet would fiddly.  Gotta line up the angles on the bullet with the angles on the bore- but without being able to see them.

I think the chamber could be cut in such a way as to guide the bullet into the rifling. Think a hexagon shaped funnel.

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I think the chamber could be cut in such a way as to guide the bullet into the rifling. Think a hexagon shaped funnel.

That would suck for a metallic cartridge gun.

The brass is going to expand to conform to the chamber wall and a set of creases like that aren't coming out if it on resizing.

So what kind of projectiles do whitworth rifles use?  I've been thinking of getting a parker-hale-whitworth from dixie gun works with whitworth rifling.  Does it need something pre-shaped, or do you use a regular pure lead projectile and let the rifling form it as you ram it home?  I'm assuming that SDJ posted cannon rounds, though it was hard to tell. 

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9182/category_id/316/product_name/PR1370+PARKER+HALE+WHITWORTH+RIFLE

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

So what kind of projectiles do whitworth rifles use?  I've been thinking of getting a parker-hale-whitworth from dixie gun works with whitworth rifling.  Does it need something pre-shaped, or do you use a regular pure lead projectile and let the rifling form it as you ram it home?  I'm assuming that SDJ posted cannon rounds, though it was hard to tell. 

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/9182/category_id/316/product_name/PR1370+PARKER+HALE+WHITWORTH+RIFLE

Yes, I did post images of artillery rounds.

The rifle used hexagonal cast lead.

https://images.app.goo.gl/AdjbYc3KXWemzBdx7 

bulletdiagram.png

On 4/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

That is a BIG HOKE, Joe. 

Archived