Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

A 1,000,000,000 candle power spotlight pointed behind you at night works great...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I was younger, I'd brake-check tailgaters. Sometimes they'd back off, but most times they wouldn't, and the way people are anymore, brake-checking just about guarantees that whoever is tailgating is going to cop an attitude and get even closer. On top of that, more people have dash cams now, and brake-checking that causes an accident can wind up being the at-fault party in an accident. Even if not, who needs the hassle of an accident, no matter who's at fault? I'm not anxious to take on that kind of problem, just to try to give someone a driving lesson.


Probably the most creative solution to tailgating I've heard of was a guy who tack welded a big wrench .on his work truck's rear bumper so it looked as if it had been accidentally left laying there.

 

For myself, nowadays I just slow down -- even more so if there's traffic in front of me because I'll need extra time to react so the Beavis behind me doesn't run up my rear if I have to make an unexpected stop. If he or she passes me, fine. If not, then we're going to have a nice leisurely drive to wherever we're going.

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

When I was younger, I'd brake-check tailgaters. Sometimes they'd back off, but most times they wouldn't, and the way people are anymore, brake-checking just about guarantees that whoever is tailgating is going to cop an attitude and get even closer. On top of that, more people have dash cams now, and brake-checking that causes an accident can wind up being the at-fault party in an accident. Even if not, who needs the hassle of an accident, no matter who's at fault? I'm not anxious to take on that kind of problem, just to try to give someone a driving lesson.


Probably the most creative solution to tailgating I've heard of was a guy who tack welded a big wrench .on his work truck's rear bumper so it looked as if it had been accidentally left laying there.

 

For myself, nowadays I just slow down -- even more so if there's traffic in front of me because I'll need extra time to react so the Beavis behind me doesn't run up my rear if I have to make an unexpected stop. If he or she passes me, fine. If not, then we're going to have a nice leisurely drive to wherever we're going.

This is a concern for me too.  My Camaro will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.  60-0 in 93 feet.  Brembro dual rotor brakes will do that.  I have to remember that just because I can stop before I hit the guy in front of me doesn't mean the car behind me can.

 

Coming back from our last cowboy match before Covid I had to brake quickly (not unusual in Atlanta traffic), which I did no problem.  The guy behind me missed my bumper by a few inches, but unfortunately for him the guy behind him couldn't stop in time.  I felt kind of bad looking at the 10-15 foot gap between me and the guy in front.  If I had braked a little slower perhaps the guy behind me wouldn't have been rear ended. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This is a concern for me too.  My Camaro will stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.  60-0 in 93 feet.  Brembro dual rotor brakes will do that.  I have to remember that just because I can stop before I hit the guy in front of me doesn't mean the car behind me can.

 

Coming back from our last cowboy match before Covid I had to brake quickly (not unusual in Atlanta traffic), which I did no problem.  The guy behind me missed my bumper by a few inches, but unfortunately for him the guy behind him couldn't stop in time.  I felt kind of bad looking at the 10-15 foot gap between me and the guy in front.  If I had braked a little slower perhaps the guy behind me wouldn't have been rear ended. 

 

HELL! Bill!! How do you go fast enough in Atlanta traffic to need to brake quickly??  Everybody in Atlanta tailgates!! If they don't, they wind up backed up all the way to Dalton or Macon!! :angry: :o :lol:

 

If you're tailgating me, you're probably doing some SERIOUS speeding or we're sitting in downtown traffic!!:ph34r: B)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m never under the speed limit. Right lane two to five above. If someone is slowing me but doing the speed limit I back down. Get distance and wait for a chance to turn. It’s a headache trying to pass because of the Ricky Racers in the left lane. Not going to join them as it’s not safe. They make the roads unsafe. They run up my arse like I’m the problem. Even though I have twenty cars in front of me. BTW fast lane changers who have a broken right arm or no installed turn signal are a problem. Blaming law abiding citizens for their problem. 

 It’s amazing to me going to town the number of zippers. ( people that think the road belongs to them in their fast autos). Get to town after. A 30 minute ride and they are next to me at the light in town. Hope. They got an orgasm slowing everybody down to get their jollies. Lane jumpers ugh. 

 

 if I want to press the peddle, I do it on an open road, then back off at traffic. Want respect, give it .

 

in Europe they flash their headlights well before your bumper. ( citizens typically respond)

 

We’re all in this together. I’m getting older, reaction times are slower. Glad that after 38 years of riding, I got off the road, truck and hot rod only.  

 

My wife is worse then I am with speed. She’ll wait til the last moment to leave for work, then Ricky racers it to work. Aggravates the hell out of me. I have to change her brakes well before normal wear. Leave early, brake less and get to work on time.

 

its your freedom to speed as much as you want but don’t blame others for adhering to the law.  You’re in the same category as poachers. F#&$ everybody else. You’re joy is more important than the safety of others. 

 

Im quite sure I’ll get beat up for this post.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I’m never under the speed limit. Right lane two to five above. If someone is slowing me but doing the speed limit I back down. Get distance and wait for a chance to turn. It’s a headache trying to pass because of the Ricky Racers in the left lane. Not going to join them as it’s not safe. They make the roads unsafe. They run up my arse like I’m the problem. Even though I have twenty cars in front of me. BTW fast lane changers who have a broken right arm or no installed turn signal are a problem. Blaming law abiding citizens for their problem. 

 It’s amazing to me going to town the number of zippers. ( people that think the road belongs to them in their fast autos). Get to town after. A 30 minute ride and they are next to me at the light in town. Hope. They got an orgasm slowing everybody down to get their jollies. Lane jumpers ugh. 

 

 if I want to press the peddle, I do it on an open road, then back off at traffic. Want respect, give it .

 

in Europe they flash their headlights well before your bumper. ( citizens typically respond)

 

We’re all in this together. I’m getting older, reaction times are slower. Glad that after 38 years of riding, I got off the road, truck and hot rod only.  

 

My wife is worse then I am with speed. She’ll wait til the last moment to leave for work, then Ricky racers it to work. Aggravates the hell out of me. I have to change her brakes well before normal wear. Leave early, brake less and get to work on time.

 

its your freedom to speed as much as you want but don’t blame others for adhering to the law.  You’re in the same category as poachers. F#&$ everybody else. You’re joy is more important than the safety of others. 

 

Im quite sure I’ll get beat up for this post.

 

 

I'm not trying to beat you up Tom, but I am having trouble reconciling those two statements.  The first one says you always speed ('never under the speed limit') but the other one I bolded says not to blame others for adhering to the law. 

 

Which is it, do you always break the law by speeding, or do you always adhere to the law by staying at or under the limit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I’m never under the speed limit. Right lane two to five above. If someone is slowing me but doing the speed limit I back down. Get distance and wait for a chance to turn. It’s a headache trying to pass because of the Ricky Racers in the left lane. Not going to join them as it’s not safe. They make the roads unsafe. They run up my arse like I’m the problem. Even though I have twenty cars in front of me. BTW fast lane changers who have a broken right arm or no installed turn signal are a problem. Blaming law abiding citizens for their problem. 

 It’s amazing to me going to town the number of zippers. ( people that think the road belongs to them in their fast autos). Get to town after. A 30 minute ride and they are next to me at the light in town. Hope. They got an orgasm slowing everybody down to get their jollies. Lane jumpers ugh. 

 

 if I want to press the peddle, I do it on an open road, then back off at traffic. Want respect, give it .

 

in Europe they flash their headlights well before your bumper. ( citizens typically respond)

 

We’re all in this together. I’m getting older, reaction times are slower. Glad that after 38 years of riding, I got off the road, truck and hot rod only.  

 

My wife is worse then I am with speed. She’ll wait til the last moment to leave for work, then Ricky racers it to work. Aggravates the hell out of me. I have to change her brakes well before normal wear. Leave early, brake less and get to work on time.

 

its your freedom to speed as much as you want but don’t blame others for adhering to the law.  You’re in the same category as poachers. F#&$ everybody else. You’re joy is more important than the safety of others. 

 

Im quite sure I’ll get beat up for this post.

 

 

 

I won't beat you up!! I'll just pass you!!!  If you don't want to own a gun, DON'T!!  If you don't want to go as fast as I do, DON'T!!  But DON'T try to force me to abide by YOUR decisions!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

 

HELL! Bill!! How do you go fast enough in Atlanta traffic to need to brake quickly??  Everybody in Atlanta tailgates!! If they don't, they wind up backed up all the way to Dalton or Macon!! :angry: :o :lol:

 

If you're tailgating me, you're probably doing some SERIOUS speeding or we're sitting in downtown traffic!!:ph34r: B)

You would be surprised, sometimes the traffic isn't that bad.  The problem is there is no predictability about it.  You could be driving to work at 8 am and the roads are wide open, you could be driving home at 9 pm and it's bumper to bumper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the confusion. Good point. Our four lane going into town is 55. Most drive about 57 to 58. I keep my distance and drive with them. My brother in law is a law officer in San Antonio. He says that driving with traffic is safer than being to slow or to fast. If traffic is moving at 70 in a 55 but flowing smoothly they don’t stop, as their stop can create more problems. Most traffic around here moves about 57 in a 55 except for the speedster that ultimately slows everyone down  I try not to cause problems 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

 

I won't beat you up!! I'll just pass you!!!  If you don't want to own a gun, DON'T!!  If you don't want to go as fast as I do, DON'T!!  But DON'T try to force me to abide by YOUR decisions!!

Not stepping on your rights. Go as fast as you want Blackwater. I have meet and shot with you. I know that you are respectful of others and know you would never endanger others for your own desires. I wouldn’t either. I wouldn’t never force my opinions on you. Please don’t paint me that way

Edited by Tennessee Trapper Tom
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Sorry for the confusion. Good point. Our four lane going into town is 55. Most drive about 57 to 58. I keep my distance and drive with them. My brother in law is a law officer in San Antonio. He says that driving with traffic is safer than being to slow or to fast. If traffic is moving at 70 in a 55 but flowing smoothly they don’t stop, as their stop can create more problems. Most traffic around here moves about 57 in a 55 except for the speedster that ultimately slows everyone down  I try not to cause problems 

I happen to agree with your conclusion that moving with the flow of traffic is safer than sticking to the speed limit and being the obstruction in the stream.

 

Having said that, you're still breaking the law when you exceed the speed limit.  I may be breaking it to a greater degree, but we're both breaking it.  What we have in common is that both of us feel that what we're doing is safe.  I'm not going to judge you when you're doing 57 in the 55, that's your decision.  I would like my decisions to be respected too.  The only people whose opinion on my driving matters to me are the people in the car with me and people who wear a badge, everyone else will just have to deal with it. 

 

With respect to your statement to not blame other who are adhering to the law, if you're over the speed limit, you're not adhering to the law.  If you're in the passing lane, and not passing, then you're not adhering to the law, irrespective of how fast you may be going. 

 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your statement about speedsters slowing everyone down.  Yeah, if they wreck that will be true, but otherwise probably not.  If you see my red Camaro blow by you at 90 mph I can assure you you'll never see it again unless I'm on the side of the road getting a ticket, at a gas station fueling up, or stuck in traffic.   I certainly won't be slowing you down, nor will I be tailgating you if you're in the right lane, no matter how fast or slow you're going. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I happen to agree with your conclusion that moving with the flow of traffic is safer than sticking to the speed limit and being the obstruction in the stream.

 

Having said that, you're still breaking the law when you exceed the speed limit.  I may be breaking it to a greater degree, but we're both breaking it.  What we have in common is that both of us feel that what we're doing is safe.  I'm not going to judge you when you're doing 57 in the 55, that's your decision.  I would like my decisions to be respected too.  The only people whose opinion on my driving matters to me are the people in the car with me and people who wear a badge, everyone else will just have to deal with it. 

 

With respect to your statement to not blame other who are adhering to the law, if you're over the speed limit, you're not adhering to the law.  If you're in the passing lane, and not passing, then you're not adhering to the law, irrespective of how fast you may be going. 

 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your statement about speedsters slowing everyone down.  Yeah, if they wreck that will be true, but otherwise probably not.  If you see my red Camaro blow by you at 90 mph I can assure you you'll never see it again unless I'm on the side of the road getting a ticket, at a gas station fueling up, or stuck in traffic.   I certainly won't be slowing you down, nor will I be tailgating you if you're in the right lane, no matter how fast or slow you're going. 

Point taken. I don’t disagree with you. I stay in the right lane unless I’m passing. I just want to be safe and respect others. Sorry that I’m not clear in my post. Conversation is good. I hope we can someday meet on the cowboy trail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

Point taken. I don’t disagree with you. I stay in the right lane unless I’m passing. I just want to be safe and respect others. Sorry that I’m not clear in my post. Conversation is good. I hope we can someday meet on the cowboy trail 

I hope we can meet on the trail too!  It's nice to be able to agreeably disagree!


When I come up on an elderly person driving slow (in my view) I try to think of my mother, who also drives pretty slowly.  How would I want people to treat her when she's cruising down the interstate?  Then act that way towards the people I encounter.  Of course mom stays out of the left lane!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mostly thinking back to my post on being stopped and continuing from there.  Your post just highlighted two problems that I have. The people who accelerate when you're passing them and those who go fast until they change lanes then slam on the brakes and end up slowing EVERYONE down. 

 

 I usually SPEED UP to change lanes, passing the car that I'm going to merge in front of, thus allowing that driver to maintain their speed!  I plan ahead and get into the lane I should be in to make an exit or take a fork in the road. The nitwit who flies down the express or HOV lane and then practically STOPS to change lanes slows everyone down. He forces those who are behind him to slow or stop AND he causes those in the lane he desires to be in to slow or stop as well!!  

 

Slow or stalled traffic would be reduced by a large amount if those idiots would just blend smoothly and plan ahead!!  Too many times, I've watched an idiot driving down a five lane wide section of highway in the HOV or express lane, get within a few hundred feet of the exit he's planning to take, slow dramatically or stop in the inside lane and start swapping lanes to get over to the exit.  By the time that driver gets to the ramp, he has stopped or radically slowed FIVE LANES OF TRAFFIC!!!  In a mile long line of traffic, you'll invariably see half a dozen drivers do this and a dozen more who do it to at least three lanes!!

 

Those who speed up to prevent you from passing and merging safely are more of a potential accident causer!!  I'm driving along in my lane, moving faster than the driver in the other lane. There's a nice big gap between that driver and the car in front of him and I want to safely merge into that lane, so I flip on my turn signal and this rectal orifice immediately speeds up to try to prevent me from merging!!  Most of what I drive is capable of accelerating really well!!  If there is room, I'll out accelerate that turd and take the lane anyway.  If not, I wait until he/she has caught up with the vehicle in front of them and pass both of them, since my lane was moving faster in the first place, I can then likely merge safely.

 

And Capt. Bill!!  My mom has repeatedly been stopped and warned about excessive speed!!  She's 86 years old and most badge toters just bawl her out and let her go!! :o :lol:

 

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.