SASS Wire Forum

Since we got this Social Distancing thing down pat now how about we try it while driving??

GET OFF MY REAR END!!!!

Good luck!

Too many drivers seem to think that by staying close enough to the car in front of them, if it hits something solid there will not be enough velocity differential tp damage their car when they hit him.

Duffield

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Since we got this Social Distancing thing down pat now how about we try it while driving??

GET OFF MY REAR END!!!!

I won’t tailgate those who have sense enough to get on or get over!!!

I move over for those who drive faster than I do and I expect the same courtesy from those who drive slower!!!

Had a state trooper pull me and the two cars in front of me over.  They had driven side by side for eight miles, preventing anyone from passing them.  I and others had tried to get by and on more than one occasion had gotten pretty close to the back of each of them!

The trooper wrote each of them a ticket for obstructing traffic and improper use of lanes! He gave me an oral warning for tailgating.  He berated both of them, saying that it was not their job to slow other drivers down and to refrain from tying up traffic on the interstate!!

He said, “Slowing people down is MY job!! NOT YOURS!!!”

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with left lane bandits.   

FYI it's not the 'fast lane' it's the 'passing lane'.  Even if I'm doing 90 mph I'm going to be in the right lane unless I'm passing.   For you LEOs out there, just pretend you didn't see that number.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

If we would all just drive with the same rules as the Autobahn... STAY RIGHT UNLESS TO PASS!

Good luck getting self-absorbed self-entitled morons to follow the rules.

This is exactly why freeway shootings were a regular occurrence on Los Angeles freeways years ago. I think the only reason freeway shootings diminished is due to so many people having cameras i  their cars now.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

GET OFF MY REAR END!!!!

LOL.  If I'm tailgating you it's because you're in the passing lane and not passing!  You'll know me by the 'pull me over' red Camaro and the loud exhaust (and perhaps the middle finger). 

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with left lane bandits.   

FYI it's not the 'fast lane' it's the 'passing lane'.  Even if I'm doing 90 mph I'm going to be in the right lane unless I'm passing.   For you LEOs out there, just pretend you didn't see that number.

I disagree. It is the "Fast Lane"...Go fast or get out! :D

47 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Around the north, here, we have a lot of two lane highways with the occasional third lane built to allow safe passing, (Usually on a downgrade)

The problem up here is the (*&%$ (*(^%$* )&!#$%^ mental midgets, who, after dawdling along 15 to 20 below the speed limit, arrive at a passing lane and put their foot to the floor to prevent other drivers from getting by them.

When the passing lane ends, they're back to 15 to 20 below the limit.

Hence our nick-name for the 3rd land is "The Racing Lane"

6 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Around the north, here, we have a lot of two lane highways with the occasional third lane built to allow safe passing, (Usually on a downgrade)

The problem up here is the (*&%$ (*(^%$* )&!#$%^ mental midgets, who, after dawdling along 15 to 20 below the speed limit, arrive at a passing lane and put their foot to the floor to prevent other drivers from getting by them.

When the passing lane ends, they're back to 15 to 20 below the limit.

Hence our nick-name for the 3rd land is "The Racing Lane"

We have a few of those around here.  It's nice knowing that when I encounter those well named 'mental midgets' I can get by them whether they put their little feet to the floor or not.  455 horsepower will do that for you.

I'm talking about going the speed limit or more, most of the time more, and in the right lane and they're still on your tail! Highways, side streets no matter where, you need to maintain a couple of car lengths between you and the person in front. I've been on a 4 lane highway in the right lane going 5-10 over the speed limit and here comes the $%##@&*^ behind me all the way up to my rear end! There's 3 other lanes for &^%$# sakes!

I try and maintain 300 yards from the car in front of me so I can look at my phone and glance up periodically.

In Florida if you are retired you are expected to drive on the left lane while doing 10 MPH below the posted speed limit, unless you are going to make a LEFT turn in which case you use the RIGHT lane, and remember to give every other driver a dirty look!

Also, sudden moves are expected if you're going to miss your exit to Walmart!

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I try and maintain 300 yards from the car in front of me so I can look at my phone and glance up periodically.

I do 400 yards so I can text then too!!

25 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

In Florida if you are retired you are expected to drive on the left lane while doing 10 MPH below the posted speed limit, unless you are going to make a LEFT turn in which case you use the RIGHT lane, and remember to give every other driver a dirty look!

Also, sudden moves are expected if you're going to miss your exit to Walmart!

Don't you need to have your blinker on for a few miles also??

29 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Or they'll ram into your tail end.  That'll slow 'em down. ;)

I never slow down.  The foot on the accelerator never moves.  I use my left foot to touch the brake pedal just enough to light up the brake lights.

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Don't you need to have your blinker on for a few miles also??

That's a requirement in Florida for anyone over 75 and all Canadians. You MUST have it on for at least 2 miles to indicate that you are going to turn the opposite direction that the turn signal indicates and you must be in the wrong lane.

Another Florida requirement is that Interstate 4, when you get within 20 miles of Disney, you MUST reduce your speed to 10 mph to avoid missing the exit(s) for Disney.

As far as brake checking someone, you don't have to stomp on the brakes.....just use your left foot to tap it and be ready to hit the gas with your right foot.

That's why they had to cancel NASCAR.

No one was willing to stay 6 feet apart from each other.

NASCAR, IndyCar turning to esports for virtual races | Fort Worth ...

Just now, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

That's why they had to cancel NASCAR.

No one was willing to stay 6 feet apart from each other.

NASCAR, IndyCar turning to esports for virtual races | Fort Worth ...

You couldn't walk between those cars if they were parked as close as they are running over 200 mph on tracks like Talladega.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm talking about going the speed limit or more, most of the time more, and in the right lane and they're still on your tail! Highways, side streets no matter where, you need to maintain a couple of car lengths between you and the person in front. I've been on a 4 lane highway in the right lane going 5-10 over the speed limit and here comes the $%##@&*^ behind me all the way up to my rear end! There's 3 other lanes for &^%$# sakes!

I agree with that totally!  

If I'm stuck behind a left lane bandit, yeah I'll tailgate, but if they're in the right lane, or they're stuck behind someone else who's blocking things, what's the point of tailgating?   It's just plain rude.   

Under normal circumstances I want at least three car lengths.

I have a simple solution for tailgaters.

Slow down.

It has been a long time - as in years and years and years - since I was ever in enough of a hurry that I could not slow down on the road. If the speed limit is 70, and I'm driving 70 (because I do not speed) and someone is riding my bumper, I just pick my foot up a little. 65. 60. 55. Eventually he will get tired of this and pass me. Then I go back up to 70.

Alpo,

+100

I had a woman follow my small SUV with a BIG PU. Lots of chrome. We got down to 15 MPH before she backed off and passed me. We had middle finger duet going there for a while. She won't learn though, to self important!

CJ

5 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Or they'll ram into your tail end.  That'll slow 'em down. ;)

I've probably wore off more brake pads this way than normal braking. Lol. ALWAYS have the receiver hitch in. 

I would love to have a Brick Ejector that would drop a brick from the back of my truck onto the highway in front of those *&##$%s.

I know that it is not really practicable for several reasons, but I do like to think  about watching that brick bounce along through their grille and radiator, or under the length of their vehicle..

Duffield

37 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I would love to have a Brick Ejector that would drop a brick from the back of my truck onto the highway in front of those *&##$%s.

I know that it is not really practicable for several reasons, but I do like to think  about watching that brick bounce along through their grille and radiator, or under the length of their vehicle..

Duffield

A soda container full of paint lobbed just right would have a gratifying effect.  Not that I would know or anything, just saying. 

Archived