SASS Wire Forum

Schofield question

Trigger Mike

I have never got the opportunity to shoot a Schofield in 45lc.  I am wondering how they compare to a uberti saa ?  I am also curious why they are more expensive than a saa?  A uberti saa can be had for less.than 600 but a Schofield,  even used, is over 800.

If you get a chance to buy an ASM Schofield, stay far away from that one.

Uberti or S&W are gooder.

As OLG says, more complicated to make.

Many tons of discussions over the years here about Scofields and the other S&W/clones top-break revolvers. I have an Uberti .44 Russian, which I really like.

They are all cool to look at and fun to shoot. The Russian is very accurate. But for various reasons, concrete ones and intangible ones, they overall  just aren't as easy and handy as a SAA. There's just a certain subtle awkwardness to them. That's just how I would put it personally.

I wanted a couple until I tried one.

Didn't care for the grip.

Try before ya buy.

Been shooting Schofields for 16 years. But I also shoot an '87 and an assortment of odd rifles so speed is not an issue.

As for being competitive, you make up the time loading and unloading!:P

I have both Colt SAA and Schofields in 44-40. I shoot dualist. The colt is great for that, hammer is in good location and action is better. The Schofields the grip is weird and the hammer is much higher. You really have to reach for it as a dualist. They are also heavier. The Uberti Schofields have a safety block in them. If your touching the trigger it won't cock. I had mine modified so I can. But the guy who did that is no longer in business.  They also do not like black powder. A few have gotten them to work with synthetic BP. Colts for speed Schofields for points....that don't exist.

Ike

I had one for a few years and it was useful when matches had reload stages.  Beyond that, the grip on the Schofield is very different than a Colt SAA and, therefore, takes some getting used to.  I haven't seen one being used for a while, although I have heard of some shooters still using them, more for variety than being competitive.  There was a shooter, back in the day, who shot two and was very competitive.  I can't remember his name, but if I recall correctly, he won some major matches with them.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If you get a chance to buy an ASM Schofield, stay far away from that one.

Uberti or S&W are gooder.

You are busted by the Grammar Police!!!!

That's "MORE gooder." 

By golly.

I sit correckted.

Schofield a are a lot of fun. For those that say the hammer is further than a colt don’t understand the proper way to grip

a schofield. It’s different than a colt grip and takes some getting used to. Put a schofield grip on you hand and let it sit high up to where your thumb rises along that top groove. That’s what it was meant for. Then the hammer reach is much easier. Even easier than a colt and I have small hands with short thumbs (one of the reasons I like hard recoiling bp loads) Heck, the schofield was designed specifically to be used one handed while riding a horse. So basically, if you can’t reach the hammer then you ain’t doing it right. 

38 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Schofield a are a lot of fun. For those that say the hammer is further than a colt don’t understand the proper way to grip

a schofield. It’s different than a colt grip and takes some getting used to. Put a schofield grip on you hand and let it sit high up to where your thumb rises along that top groove. That’s what it was meant for. Then the hammer reach is much easier. Even easier than a colt and I have small hands with short thumbs (one of the reasons I like hard recoiling bp loads) Heck, the schofield was designed specifically to be used one handed while riding a horse. So basically, if you can’t reach the hammer then you ain’t doing it right. 

Can you post a couple pics for those of us that can't envision this concept?

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Well, I don’t know if the Schofield was designed to be used one-handed while riding a horse, but I doubt that.  At the same time, I don’t know if it is any easier than a Colt to shoot from a saddle.  However, I do know for sure that the Schofield is, very much easier than a Colt to reload while riding horseback.  Break it open, and the empties automatically eject.  The cylinder is then wide-open, all six chambers in your face, ready to accept a reload.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

You are busted by the Grammar Police!!!!

That's "MORE gooder." 

By golly.

Good to know.  I thought it was betterer.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You both ain't 'rite'. :o

It's 'more-better'. :P

No need to thank me..... :ph34r:

OLG 

More-better...

Back in the early nineties I bought a bunch of cowboy shirts by the brand name of Mo Betta. They were awfully nice. Wish I still had them. Wish I still fit in them…

:o

A few years ago, my wife gave me a pair of  Schofields in .44-40 with 7 inch barrels.   I've never been as fast with them as I am with my Ruger NMVs, but the Schofields are so much classier.  

I have one of the Ubertis and my hands are small so the reach for the hammer is quite a stretch for my stubby thumb, I have Been thinking  I would  trade it off for a pair of Remington outlaws and try those. It does have some style points and when I watch Smith and Jones I smile when Smith pulls his out. 

1 hour ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

I have one of the Ubertis and my hands are small so the reach for the hammer is quite a stretch for my stubby thumb, I have Been thinking  I would  trade it off for a pair of Remington outlaws and try those. It does have some style points and when I watch Smith and Jones I smile when Smith pulls his out. 

Try the Remington Outlaws before you do so. With stock hammers most people would not consider them to be duellist friendly. The hammers can be turned down and that helps but it is still a reach.

The grip and feel is WAY different than a SAA clone. It's not something you want to switch back & forth between from match to match. ;)

I had a couple Uberti Wells Fargo .44-40's that I picked up in '04 (new) and '06 (used), but just couldn't get the hang of 'em, and they only made it maybe three or four matches in all those years. So... I sold them in November on the spur of the moment to Dallas McPewPew on here, then came across two Uberti #3 Russians in .44 Russian in separate Gunbroker auctions in January at prices to good to pass up, one new-in-box, and the other in very good used condition... and they're even worse to get a grip on! But damn, do I look cool shootin' 'em. :lol:

1875 Wells Fargos on top, #3 Russians on bottom.

schofield01.JPG

Russians.jpg

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You both ain't 'rite'. :o

It's 'more-better'. :P

No need to thank me..... :ph34r:

OLG 

Being as how is 'R' is the most expensive piece of the alphabet, is "mo betta" acceptable fuh those on a tight budget? 

14 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Outlaws are also really sexy, but if you think a schofield or colt is hard to reach, the shape of outlaw grips makes it even longer. For once I’ll agree with Lumpy and say try before you buy. I didn’t. 

20 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Can you post a couple pics for those of us that can't envision this concept?

I’ll see if I can take some pictures later. For a cameraman I’m a hell of a gunfighter. 

18 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Col. or General Schofield created the pistol for the cavalry. One handed shooting, one handed getting rid of empties, but it still took two hands to reload. So not such a win.

Having at least a little experience on horseback, it’s a lot easier to load a schofield while holding the reins one handed than a colt. So I’d say a pretty big win 

Archived