SASS Wire Forum

WILD BUNCH

How many pistol, rifle and shotgun rounds in a Wild Bunch match?  ;)

Semper Fi Cowboy asked me how many rounds are shot in a Wild Bunch match. Since I have never entered one, I asked the wire. That posting is the best answer I can find.

I was going to try it but gave my 1911A1 to my Captain son in Iraq to replace his pissant 9mm. I still have my NRA bulllseye Les Baer .45ACP but don't think it qualifies for Wild Bunch.

My TO weapon was a 1911A1 but I carried a S&W .44 Rem Mag. My MOS was so rare and so secret that no one could screw with me. That used to drive butterbars crazy!!!   :wub:

Emphasis in Wild Bunch is on the pistol.  Since we've gone to 7 rounds per mag, it's not uncommon for a stage to be 28 to 35 rounds of .45 acp with 7 to 10 rifle rounds and 6 shotgun.

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

.My MOS was so rare and so secret that no one could screw with me. That used to drive butterbars crazy!!!   :wub:

As a Ranger,  I got around quite a bit. Worked with every branch, especially folks in jsoc. Heard a lot of crazy stories in my time, but to date every single soldier, sailor, marine, or airman that ever uttered similar words turned out to be full of $h!t. But who knows? Maybe you’re the first person to ever have a double top secret extra special nonexistent mos

13 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Semper Fi Cowboy asked me how many rounds are shot in a Wild Bunch match. Since I have never entered one, I asked the wire. That posting is the best answer I can find.

I was going to try it but gave my 1911A1 to my Captain son in Iraq to replace his pissant 9mm. I still have my NRA bulllseye Les Baer .45ACP but don't think it qualifies for Wild Bunch.

My TO weapon was a 1911A1 but I carried a S&W .44 Rem Mag. My MOS was so rare and so secret that no one could screw with me. That used to drive butterbars crazy!!!   :wub:

Your Baer may be legal. Can you post a pic?

My Les Baer has a red dot mounted.

Scored a possible on the ANGCT. Only seven of us had the MOS. Spent my time in crappy little counrres or training. Wrote analyses for HQMC.  No hero!!! I had additional MOSs  inclluding 8654. Had six years of French in school. I WAS NOT FORCE RECON and had no idea to get into that s--t. I did alphabet work after graduation.

Rangers are cute, Seals were UDT during my day.  ;)

Where I shoot we don't get to set up our own target arrays, have to use the same setup as the cowboy shooters use. We limit the 1911 to 4 magazines per stage since most do not have more than 4 pouches. We run 5 stages and at least one of those will have no rifle. Ends up usually 80-90 rounds of 45ACP, 30-40 rounds for whatever rifle you shoot and never more than a full box of shotgun.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:18 PM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

It's been my experience that butterbars tend to be confused by doorways. 

:P

On 4/20/2020 at 9:54 AM, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Rangers are cute, Seals were UDT during my day.  ;)

You definitely don’t know many Rangers then. A group of uglier men you’d be hard pressed to find. 

2 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

What? He called us cute and I called us ugly. Just a spot of humor there, because I’m very pretty. 

Hit enter before I finished the post

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Definitely prettier than me. Though technically they aren’t Rangers. They are graduates of Ranger school. There’s a difference that most don’t understand. Either way, respect for them. We had 4 SEALS drop out of my class. 

Most of us were cute once.  How long that lasted varies. :)

As for round count, clubs around here have been between the extremes mentioned above.  A lot of difference between 5 stages with 3 mags per stage at one club, and 6 stages with  4 mags per stage at another.  When WB went to 7-round mags, I thought fine, the round count will stay about the same but less mag changes.  But NO!  Pistol round count went up by 40%.  Yeah, I know, shooting lots is fun, but just a little harder to keep up with reloading on a Turret press and limited time.  With all the ammo and mags (I bring ten), my guncart is a noticably heavier than CAS. :)

I met quite a few. Well trained but still Army. Some sad experiences I had over 60 years ago preclude my admiration for Army personnel.

As I mentioned, I scored a "Possible" on the ANGCT so my USMC "career" patch was foreordained. 

My hero is Commander Joseph Rochefort, USN. He was awesome. You might remember him from Midway. He was also screwed by the ring knockers. I knew that would have been my fate so I left to found an investment  banking house and serve an alphabet agency as a civilian contractor.

I served alone at all times.  We had VERY different roles in our services.  :D

I had every weird training you could imagine. I never used any of the physical stuff.

On 4/21/2020 at 3:29 PM, Hendo said:

Was it because they couldn't balance the ball on their nose?

Probably 'cause every time someone would toss them a tuna fish sandwich, they would clap.  I can see that would get annoying.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Probably 'cause every time someone would toss them a tuna fish sandwich, they would clap.  I can see that would get annoying.  :rolleyes:

Bwahahahaha! Thanks Amigo, I needed that laugh.

Now if y'all excuse me, I gotta go clean my phone. 

This thread has brightened my day considerably. Our boy joined Army just to jerk my chain and our whole family is military including my wife who was a crew chief on a  F something or other, I think it is a plane. We worked with Rangers on occasion plus Brits. Nothing but respect to both. 
tip of the spear 2nd Mar!

thanks for all your services (and many of your offspring as well)- i never served but worked with plenty who did in my previous job (SFFD).

over the hill at the Judge Roy Bean shoot, they run WB as just another category (except a couple stages go 14 as opposed to 10 pistol shots).  So a 1.5 box of pistol, 1 box rifle and 1 box shotgun is usually plenty.

Archived