SASS Wire Forum

Reopening the Country. Reopening our sport.

I had a kidney transplant 2 Jan 2020. I'm on immune suppressant drugs. I had a virus two weeks before my surgery and another virus for five weeks after. I was on meds that cost $150/day (after insurance). The first virus I got was after surgery on my arm access for a dialysis access. A volunteer "greeter" at the hospital coughed in my face when I walked in the front door! I took three steps back instinctively, and assumed signing 10 pages of stupid waivers. No hand sanitizer in sight!   The second virus I got from my wife who got over it in 5 days (it took me five weeks)!

So after being on dialysis for 14 months and transplanted 4 1/2 months ago (giving the highest consideration for germs and infections) , I have given considerable thought about this Covid 19 thing. I was wearing a mask and carrying hand sanitizer before it as cool! So here is my perspective...

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I cut my drinking by more than half, dropped 5-6 lbs according to the scales, but probably more like 10 lbs since I know I’ve put on some muscle. Some lifting, calisthenics, and basketball and my BP is now running in the hundred and teens over 70s. Resting pulse in the 70s. I can do 20 strict pushups and a couple of pull-ups.

I’m not going to go looking for Covid, but if it finds me I’m not going to help it kill me by being in sorry shape with lots of co-morbidities.

I like all your posts on this Cpt Bill, but this one the best!

Doing what you said will do more for you than all the hand sanitizer everyone here has used this year!

Our piss poor lifestyle will kill you! I was roaming the halls the morning after my transplant without any drugs other than Tylenol. I recovered faster than any of my medical staff had seen. I was on the range again for the next match after my surgery (I only missed one). Besides my failing kidneys (hereditary), I have no health issues. I maintain a 100 acre horse ranch in the hills of Tn., and I heat my house with wood (in my spare time). I hike several miles a day in the process. I quit drinking when I went on dialysis. And most importantly, I survived two virus attacks while being immune suppressed. I even shook hands with Rough Cut at the range when he had the flue! I rode to two matches with Let's Go when he told me he had a cold (he wore a bandana) and we left a window cracked.

Now concerning my lack of Social Distancing, I didn't get sick from any of this range activity. Why? Because I didn't shake hands and pick my nose. My pard covered his mouth when needed. You know, the things we are all now doing (being ordered to do). How many of you stand down wind of a black powder shooter on purpose? The urban rulers have not talked about this, but if you don't want a deer to smell you, you stay down wind! Try staying up wind (for yourself) or cross wind and protect those your talking to. How bout that thought?

Concerns about picking up brass?! My hands get covered in burnt gun powder at the range, I sure ain't gonna pick my nose or wipe my eyes! If we really think about it (and I have for good reasons), the perception of Covid 19 that is being projected upon us is about like radioactive fallout which none of us could survive. No, Covid can not bore through your skin like a gama-ray! You can't get it by tailgating the car in front of you on the interstate! As for picking up brass, the lead is a bigger concern than Covid! No one wears PPE when being a brass picker!?

I believe some people (43% seems to be the number) need the crap scared out of them to change their lifestyle. If you rationally think about how a small unseen bug can travel around, you'd live in a bubble (and immediately die if your bubble sprung a leak). There is no way to avoid it! Worrying about it, being locked up at home, will suppress your immune system all by itself!

But you can stop intentionally spreading it through lifestyle changes and that does not include banning outdoor activities. How many of you Cops have been to a residence that makes your skin crawl? Can you imagine how much we have been exposed to, and are still alive? This would be associated with the Herd Immunity thing some are talking about.

A lot of us that play CAS are aged and are health compromised. We must protect ourselves. But the rest of us should do what we can to prevent exposing those who are compromised as well. That is what all this is about. Now you can't protect anyone if you don't know your a carrier, but locking ourselves away just in case is a death sentence in of itself. I didn't spend a year and a half sticking 15 gauge needles in my arm on dialysis to be locked away at home, away from distanced family. If the next virus takes me out, that is God's plan or the Law of Nature (however you look at it). I think I will keep my social distance from the outhouse at the range from now on though... 

BTW: My wife is a Registered Nurse and no, I don't make her live in the RV...

Think for yourself, while it's still legal!

13 hours ago, Beans Ahgin said:

Locally, we've been trying to figure out how we can reopen retail businesses, restaurants, and club functions.  Guidelines are very vague at this point.  Asymptomatic people may have the virus, but no one seems sure if they can spread it.  Face masks and social distancing seem to help, although the makeshift and surgical masks are a panacea, and the virus has been shown capable of being spread (cough, cough) from over 25 ft. away.

You must have quite a set of Lungs ,,, COVID 19 is Not an Airborne Virus , it can and is spread by liquid droplets expelled by a Cough or a Sneeze , the normally accepted distance for it to be expelled is 5 Feet ....  Perhaps this could be extended to 7 feet if you are standing Up-wind and really trying ....

My Wife a RN ( 35+Years ) and manager of Patient Care for a 100 bed center says Common sense good hygiene ( hand Washing /Sanitizer ) and keeping 6 or slightly more feet space is what is needed... Cover your mouth when you Cough or Sneeze with your elbow of wear a Bandanna ...

Let's not make more of this Virus than is necessary...

And If you are Coughing and Feeling Ill stay home ....

Jabez Cowboy   

42 minutes ago, Blast Masterson said:

I had a kidney transplant 2 Jan 2020. I'm on immune suppressant drugs. I had a virus two weeks before my surgery and another virus for five weeks after. I was on meds that cost $150/day (after insurance). The first virus I got was after surgery on my arm access for a dialysis access. A volunteer "greeter" at the hospital coughed in my face when I walked in the front door! I took three steps back instinctively, and assumed signing 10 pages of stupid waivers. No hand sanitizer in sight!   The second virus I got from my wife who got over it in 5 days (it took me five weeks)!

So after being on dialysis for 14 months and transplanted 4 1/2 months ago (giving the highest consideration for germs and infections) , I have given considerable thought about this Covid 19 thing. I was wearing a mask and carrying hand sanitizer before it as cool! So here is my perspective...

I like all your posts on this Cpt Bill, but this one the best!

Doing what you said will do more for you than all the hand sanitizer everyone here has used this year!

Our piss poor lifestyle will kill you! I was roaming the halls the morning after my transplant without any drugs other than Tylenol. I recovered faster than any of my medical staff had seen. I was on the range again for the next match after my surgery (I only missed one). Besides my failing kidneys (hereditary), I have no health issues. I maintain a 100 acre horse ranch in the hills of Tn., and I heat my house with wood (in my spare time). I hike several miles a day in the process. I quit drinking when I went on dialysis. And most importantly, I survived two virus attacks while being immune suppressed. I even shook hands with Rough Cut at the range when he had the flue! I rode to two matches with Let's Go when he told me he had a cold (he wore a bandana) and we left a window cracked.

Now concerning my lack of Social Distancing, I didn't get sick from any of this range activity. Why? Because I didn't shake hands and pick my nose. My pard covered his mouth when needed. You know, the things we are all now doing (being ordered to do). How many of you stand down wind of a black powder shooter on purpose? The urban rulers have not talked about this, but if you don't want a deer to smell you, you stay down wind! Try staying up wind (for yourself) or cross wind and protect those your talking to. How bout that thought?

Concerns about picking up brass?! My hands get covered in burnt gun powder at the range, I sure ain't gonna pick my nose or wipe my eyes! If we really think about it (and I have for good reasons), the perception of Covid 19 that is being projected upon us is about like radioactive fallout which none of us could survive. No, Covid can not bore through your skin like a gama-ray! You can't get it by tailgating the car in front of you on the interstate! As for picking up brass, the lead is a bigger concern than Covid! No one wears PPE when being a brass picker!?

I believe some people (43% seems to be the number) need the crap scared out of them to change their lifestyle. If you rationally think about how a small unseen bug can travel around, you'd live in a bubble (and immediately die if your bubble sprung a leak). There is no way to avoid it! Worrying about it, being locked up at home, will suppress your immune system all by itself!

But you can stop intentionally spreading it through lifestyle changes and that does not include banning outdoor activities. How many of you Cops have been to a residence that makes your skin crawl? Can you imagine how much we have been exposed to, and are still alive? This would be associated with the Herd Immunity thing some are talking about.

A lot of us that play CAS are aged and are health compromised. We must protect ourselves. But the rest of us should do what we can to prevent exposing those who are compromised as well. That is what all this is about. Now you can't protect anyone if you don't know your a carrier, but locking ourselves away just in case is a death sentence in of itself. I didn't spend a year and a half sticking 15 gauge needles in my arm on dialysis to be locked away at home, away from distanced family. If the next virus takes me out, that is God's plan or the Law of Nature (however you look at it). I think I will keep my social distance from the outhouse at the range from now on though... 

BTW: My wife is a Registered Nurse and no, I don't make her live in the RV...

Think for yourself, while it's still legal!

Thank you. I was wondering how you were making it through this insanity.

Maybe this will help me finally get off my lazy but and lose some weight. Doc says I'll likely always be on blood pressure meds even if I lose weight, but I sure do need to.

I am a little disappointed to learn that everyone doesn't stand downwind when I'm shooting(this is a joke people).

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This thread got me to thinking, always a dangerous thing, so I scheduled an appointment for an antibody blood test tomorrow at 3 pm.  Who knows, perhaps I've already been exposed to this thing. 

But to play devil's advocate, can you not still spread a bug without being sick yourself (based upon News Media opinion)?

You touch something contaminated and pass it on to the steering wheel of your truck, and someone else drives your truck...?

I neglected to discuss the testing thing yet, so...

How much virus does it take to infect you? Answer: One.

Why do we need to test?

You can not kill a virus if your sick with it.

Immunization is to prevent you from getting sick, or as sick. It will not kill the infection you currently have.

If you have antibodies from Covid, how long is that good for? When will it become Covid 20?

If you take the Covid test, you may be good at the time of the test, but you may have been infected before the test results comes back.

What are we doing to combat Covid after you have it? Well all the old drugs we already have, which seem to be helpful for many to recover, is rejected by the powers that be! Would money and drug patents have something to do with this?

Why does Covid kill you?

Because you literally suffocate! Or, your in such bad shape, your about to die anyway.

Covid blocks the ability of your red blood cells to carry O2 throughout your body. One analogy I heard what it's like a tractor trailer driving around in your blood stream without it's trailer. So what are we doing about that? I talked with my transplant Doctors about that they would do with me if I get Covid. They said they would saturate my O2 levels and hope it would give me time to recover. No one has discussed anything except immunization. Well that's great for those who haven't contracted Covid yet, but they are talking "years" here...

I was talking with an Army buddy about this and got on the subject of our past NBC Training.

Some agents attack the ability of your blood to carry O2. Atropine is the treatment we all carried. It slowed breathing rate, lowered heart rate, and promoted O2 absorption. Atropine is used during surgery to prevent the pneumonia effect of fluid in the lungs (same as how Covid effects your lungs). Hummmm...

Atropine is a medication used to treat certain types of nerve agent and pesticide poisonings as well as some types of slow heart rate and to decrease saliva production during surgery. It is typically given intravenously or by injection into a muscle.

I have more questions than answers I receive...

As you said; Thinking is a dangerous thing sometimes!!!:wacko:

19 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Doc says I'll likely always be on blood pressure meds even if I lose weight, but I sure do need to.

Well don't believe it Tyrel!

If this Covid thing (and politicians like the VA Governor) goes away, anything is possible! ;)

I was on blood pressure meds (didn't work very well).

Now I'm on nothing!

I have the BP of a 22 yr old (but then my kidney came from a 22yr old)! My wife keeps telling me to keep my social distance from her now! :P

I recommend you slow down more, you shoot way too fast as it is!

Quarantine is when you restrict the movements of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movements of healthy people. This will not go on much longer…

If people are watching this, I discussed this with some people from other sports here in Louisiana. Mississippi, with its Republican Governor, just opened its Gulf Coast beaches today. The IDPA shooters are telling me that matches are expected to start west of Houston this weekend.

Word is social distancing is required unless you are shopping at a Walmart or Lowes ;-} . So I gather the pressure will be on to open.

Some towns in Washington state have allowed construction workers to start working again, with the encouragement to maintain social distancing.

My personal belief is that it should be possible to do many of the things suggested and still enjoy our sport. Limiting posses to 10. You could use your kerchief as a mask, as this has been suggested by a number of sources. Timer operator could use disposable gloves.

I suspect once a few states open it will prove difficult indeed to the other states locked down. So far protests have started in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Kentucky to name a few. 

8 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Keeping the loading table down to one or two shooters might help in some cases, and keeping the line spaced out. As for timing, If the stage were written so as to start and stop at the same location, the Timer could be put on delay and left at the start/stop location to sound the starting beep, and to pickup the final shot. If the shooter were unable to hear the timer's beep, the T.O. could stand back at a safe distance and shoot the Shooter in the ass with a bean flip when the timer went off.  Naw... I'll just wait until it's safe, then go back to playing the game. 

Snakebite

Or pinch them with the brass picker.  That an a full arm length puts you about right.  Maybe get the "opera" singers to shout "ready".

Fellow respondents, after reading both pages, so far, of this post I conclude that we should resume shooting this weekend.   As an 82 year old, in good

health I don't have any reservations about shooting a match. 

Regards

48 minutes ago, Blaze Kinkaid, SASS #253 Life/Reg said:

Fellow respondents, after reading both pages, so far, of this post I conclude that we should resume shooting this weekend.   As an 82 year old, in good

health I don't have any reservations about shooting a match. 

Regards

Well said Blaze!

Any microbe (virus or bacteria or fungus) that is capable of killing people deserves attention and respect.  I don’t think it deserves panic.

The early data made isolation a good strategy.  More recent and more trustworthy data contradicts the isolation strategy.  

Who among us think that a congressional committee or panel of scientists can manage a business better than the business owner?  Cancel the lockdown now, endure a few weeks of inefficiency while supply and demand re-establish themselves, and consult your doctor if you feel ill.

More people, mostly old people like me, are going to die, whether businesses reopen or not.  I do not want to be responsible for killing America’s economy.

My dad went to Germany in WWII not knowing if he would survive combat.  If I have to take a similar risk to ensure America stays strong, OK.  Let the young folks work and support their families.  My missus and I will take our chances.

Thank you Blaze Kinkaid for your courage.

I'm ready to go. As an El Rey, I sure as H--- don't want to waste what time I have left!!!   :D

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I cut my drinking by more than half, dropped 5-6 lbs according to the scales, but probably more like 10 lbs since I know I’ve put on some muscle. Some lifting, calisthenics, and basketball and my BP is now running in the hundred and teens over 70s. Resting pulse in the 70s. I can do 20 strict pushups and a couple of pull-ups.

Lost weight, gained muscle. Did you get a bottle of those pills from Frank Thomas? And did she like it, too.:P

13 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Keeping the loading table down to one or two shooters might help in some cases, and keeping the line spaced out. As for timing, If the stage were written so as to start and stop at the same location, the Timer could be put on delay and left at the start/stop location to sound the starting beep, and to pickup the final shot. If the shooter were unable to hear the timer's beep, the T.O. could stand back at a safe distance and shoot the Shooter in the ass with a bean flip when the timer went off.  Naw... I'll just wait until it's safe, then go back to playing the game. 

Snakebite

Does the bean flip count as the first shot and will you get a P?

im ready - im not thinking this should continue at all , i think there have been mistakes made mostly by the media for the mass hysteria  , some by medical for the supply shortages , but im looking at past political maneuvers that put pharmaceuticals off shore , our rush to globalism has been forced rather than market driven , time to take back our country and ur lives --- if im sick ill not be at the shoot , 

:ph34r:  Those Media offerings aren't mistakes....... they're purposeful.   Cultivating a populace which, as the old song title says,  has "20/20 Vision, and Walking Round Blind".

As a member of the target demographic of this virus, I favor shooting right away.  Holding CAS events and matches. too. 

So here are some of the new (tongue in cheek) SASS rules for Post-Phase-1 Pandemic.

A.  INHALATION, EXHALATION, SNEEZING AND COUGHING COVENANTS:

1.  To discourage the contagion of  disease agents, while on the firing line, no shooter or match official may exhale with a velocity exceeding 1 foot per second, as measured (when required) using a windage gaging device.  

2.  Inhaling may be done by shooters at will, however the permission of the TO must be affirmatively secured prior to any shooter exhaling while on the firing line.  

3.  At no time may a shooter rotate his face more than ten degrees in either direction from directly downrange. 

4.  Sneezing or coughing is expressly prohibited (SDQ), but in cases where it cannot be positively determined that a shooter coughed or sneezed, match officials shall err on the side of the shooter.  If the TO/CRO or any TWO Spotters positively hear AND see a shooter sneeze/cough, then it is a (SDQ) sneeze/cough penalty.  If the TO/CRO or Spotters THINK  they heard/saw a sneeze/cough, it is a "No Call".   If spotters either hear but do not see, or see but do not hear a sneeze/cough, then it is also a "No Call".   

5.  Clearing of the throat shall be assessed a Minor Safety Penalty, SDQ on second occurrence. 

B.  SOCIAL DISTANCING CONVENTIONS:

1.  TO must never be within SIX FEET of the Shooter and must face 90 degrees, at minimum, away from the Shooter and from all Spotters at all times.  Spotters must also face at least 90 degrees away from shooters, watching hits, and misses through mirrors, wherever needed.   

Exception:  Spotters may face directly downrange if they hold up a 1/4 inch minimum  polycarbonate shield between themsves and any person within six (6) feet. 

2.  No one may approach a Score Keeper within a distance of fifteen (15) linear feet.  LT and ULT Officers may not stand or sit within six (6) feet of Loading or Unloading Tables. 

C.  REQUIRED COSTUMING AND SAFETY ACOUTREMENTS:

1. All shooters, and officials on the firing line must wear respiratory masks.   B Western Category  shooters' masks must be of leather, buckskin, or western print fabric.  No external modification of masks, such as addition of teeth, mustaches, or other artwork is permitted, except in B Western Category. 

2.  All shooters, officials, score keepers and spectators within ten (10) feet of the stage are required to wear eye and ear protection, cloths pins tightly on their noses and blue nitrile gloves of at least 7 mil thickness on both hands.  Gloves shall be filled with 70% alcohol hand sanitizer.  

D.  COVID-19 AMMUNITION COVENANTS:

1.  Every other round fired by all shooters must be black powder, to enable officials and spectators to detect wind direction and avoid standing directly downwind. 

Welcome to the next new Era of CAS shooting.   

(Sorry-boredom overtook me) 

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So here are some of the new (tongue in cheek) SASS rules for Post-Phase-1 Pandemic.

A.  INHALATION, EXHALATION, SNEEZING AND COUGHING COVENANTS:

1.  To discourage the contagion of  disease agents, while on the firing line, no shooter or match official may exhale with a velocity exceeding 1 foot per second, as measured (when required) using a windage gaging device.  

2.  Inhaling may be done by shooters at will, however the permission of the TO must be affirmatively secured prior to any shooter exhaling while on the firing line.  

3.  At no time may a shooter rotate his face more than ten degrees in either direction from directly downrange. 

4.  Sneezing or coughing is expressly prohibited (SDQ), but in cases where it cannot be positively determined that a shooter coughed or sneezed, match officials shall err on the side of the shooter.  If the TO/CRO or any TWO Spotters positively hear AND see a shooter sneeze/cough, then it is a (SDQ) sneeze/cough penalty.  If the TO/CRO or Spotters THINK  they heard/saw a sneeze/cough, it is a "No Call".   If spotters either hear but do not see, or see but do not hear a sneeze/cough, then it is also a "No Call".   

5.  Clearing of the throat shall be assessed a Minor Safety Penalty, SDQ on second occurrence. 

B.  SOCIAL DISTANCING CONVENTIONS:

1.  TO must never be within SIX FEET of the Shooter and must face 90 degrees, at minimum, away from the Shooter and from all Spotters at all times.  Spotters must also face at least 90 degrees away from shooters, watching hits, and misses through mirrors, wherever needed.   

Exception:  Spotters may face directly downrange if they hold up a 1/4 inch minimum  polycarbonate shield between themsves and any person within six (6) feet. 

2.  No one may approach a Score Keeper within a distance of fifteen (15) linear feet.  LT and ULT Officers may not stand or sit within six (6) feet of Loading or Unloading Tables. 

C.  REQUIRED COSTUMING AND SAFETY ACOUTREMENTS:

1. All shooters, and officials on the firing line must wear respiratory masks.   B Western Category  shooters' masks must be of leather, buckskin, or western print fabric.  No external modification of masks, such as addition of teeth, mustaches, or other artwork is permitted, except in B Western Category. 

2.  All shooters, officials, score keepers and spectators within ten (10) feet of the stage are required to wear eye and ear protection, cloths pins tightly on their noses and blue nitrile gloves of at least 7 mil thickness on both hands.  Gloves shall be filled with 70% alcohol hand sanitizer.  

D.  COVID-19 AMMUNITION COVENANTS:

1.  Every other round fired by all shooters must be black powder, to enable officials and spectators to detect wind direction and avoid standing directly downwind. 

Welcome to the next new Era of CAS shooting.   

(Sorry-boredom overtook me) 

#5..What if I clear my throat on the way to the firing line, but no one hears it? If the TO then sees that I have spittle on my lips, does it count as haveing been a throat clearing with a SDQ, or does the shooter just need to prove his kerchief is clean?

1 hour ago, Lunger Dan said:

#5..What if I clear my throat on the way to the firing line, but no one hears it? If the TO then sees that I have spittle on my lips, does it count as haveing been a throat clearing with a SDQ, or does the shooter just need to prove his kerchief is clean?

You'll be instructed to face downrange, inhale lungs to full volume and then exhale. If no flem is expelled, no call. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Lunger Dan said:

Is that a formal WTC already? 

I am at the point where I am ready to get back to normal.  They were saying 6 weeks ago that cases would DOUBLE every day.  Hasn't happened in AZ.  Hospitals not even close to being overrun as they were saying.  Also, reports are saying the infected numbers way more than originally stated which brings death toll down to less than the flu.  I am more worried about losing job, home, etc because of unnecessary panic that the media thrives on, than catching the virus.  Just MY opinion.  Let's move on before it's too late.  Most likely is for some sadly....

I should add that I don't know anybody who has it and on social media I am not seeing people complaining of being sick etc.... Thankfully.  Yes it's very serious but panic is being media driven.  Wonder if it will clear up around election time?

1 hour ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

I am at the point where I am ready to get back to normal.  They were saying 6 weeks ago that cases would DOUBLE every day.  Hasn't happened in AZ.  Hospitals not even close to being overrun as they were saying.  Also, reports are saying the infected numbers way more than originally stated which brings death toll down to less than the flu.  I am more worried about losing job, home, etc because of unnecessary panic that the media thrives on, than catching the virus.  Just MY opinion.  Let's move on before it's too late.  Most likely is for some sadly....

I should add that I don't know anybody who has it and on social media I am not seeing people complaining of being sick etc.... Thankfully.  Yes it's very serious but panic is being media driven.  Wonder if it will clear up around election time?

The media is definitely a big part of the problem.  Contrary to media message confusion, the pandemic is extremely serious.  Never since 1918 have we seen this number of people killed by a disease in just a couple months, and remember that it has occurred with much of the country locked down.  And never have we seen so many medical workers themselves  become mortally infected by an epidemic. 

The simple fact is that if the chain of human contact could have been entirely broken for just three weeks (the incubation time required for symptoms to show) and all infected persons sequestered at home or hospitalized during that period,  the virus could not have continued replicating itself until today and could have been contained.   

But rather than support the President's Medical Council's early advice, too many people ignored it or protested it (fed by media confusion).   Rather than comply, they just continued with their normal activities and even continued their group gatherings  throughout the period of needed separation.  Consequently the chain of contact was never broken, and so the period needed for us to remain "socially distanced" has never ended, as planned.   

The public ignored the guidance given by the CDC,  largely because the media failed to support the message.  Liberal media people searched in every university for PhD medical statisticians (Monday morning quarterbacks) willing to challenge the President's messaging.  They have daily printed confusing statistical information, austensibly from "scientific medical studies"  intended to complicate and obscure the simple policy truth and implicate President Trump as incompetent (their real objective).  Their crossed messaging has created a morass of confusion over every aspect of COVID-19, at a time when we needed unified support of the CDC and President's policy. 

The media hatred of Trump and their focus on the election, rather than the problem at hand has had the end result of diluting and weakening  the messages (like "shelter at home" or wearing of masks) that the public really needed to be following.  As a result  the chain of viral contact was never completely broken, so the time of human separation has needed to become hugely extended beyond the originally needed three weeks.  That time extension is the root of all of the economic and employment impacts.   The media's attempt to confuse the medical and economic issues and make Trump appear incompetent has cost many more lives and financial impacts than otherwise needed to occur.  

The statistical approach to mass medicine might work OK for a university professor who doesn't have to treat any patients.   But to the practicing hospital staff doctors and nurses all over the country, the statistics don't describe the losses of INDIVIDUAL PATIENTS that they are experiencing and working through every day.  Those loss numbers are great enough to cause setting up of temporary morgues (refrigeration trucks) in cities throughout the country to haul away bodies.  We have not experienced that kind of one-source instantaneous human disease mortality since 1918.  

My first post on this topic was ten days ago.  A lot has changed since then.  Texas/Gov. Abbott has begun "reopening" measures.  To date, San Antonio/Bexar County (with a  "Metro" population of 1.2 Million) has roughly 1,300 COVID cases, with 43 deaths.  574 people are listed as "recovered.  Just under half of the deaths occurred in nursing homes.  As testing became more widely available, the number of asymptomatic people who had/have the COVID-19 virus rose.  No one is complaining about the low fatality/illness counts.  The "tourist" and "service" economy has been wrecked.  Hotels empty.  Streets and River Walk deserted.  Electric Scooter plague gone for now.

"Outdoor Activity" had a limit of four people, with reports that say 5 people will be the new limit.  Hoss Roonwright figured-out how to hold an upcoming "practice match" for a maximum of 24 shooters spread over six stages.  Shooter, TO, two Spotters per posse.  Way to go, Hoss!

We're all going to get the virus...eventually.  It may come in waves, as is the case with "flu season," or it may steadily percolate through the population for years until it mutates into COVID-2-something.  You may "test clear" on Tuesday, and be deathly sick by Friday.  You could remain "asymptomatic."  What we do in the coming months, from shooting CAS, to visiting family and grand-kids in other states, will have an some risk to all involved.  Personally, Maid Jalaff and I are going to see if Hoss is still shooting in June:P...and then see if our cartridge belts still fit!

Archived