SASS Wire Forum

1872 vs ruger vaquero bisley

Grim Reaper

Looking for opinions on which would be a better set and easier to tune and mess with. Also are the rugers worth the extra cost.  Already have a set of alchemistas just wanting another set. Thanks 

F673C8C4-F870-4A87-A349-C4FDC5DFE404.jpeg

FB8E89BE-8B43-46AF-96A7-4D11E8E67C89.jpeg

I have a set of both. The Rugers are built like a tank and are going to be easier to self-tune. And if you decide to shoot Classic Cowboy the hammer spur is much easier/quicker to reach compared to the 1872s. Don't get me wrong. There are days that I just want to go for the Old West feel and I use the 1872s and my 1860 Henry and love every minute of it.

IMG_3042.JPG

Or, you can go with the Cimarron Bisley, which is a close copy of the original Colt Bisley made between 1894 and 1912-ish. I put is side by side with a Ruger to show the difference.

Cimarron Bisley (2).jpg

Cimarron - Ruger.JPG

If you go with Open Tops , be aware they are NOT good to go out of the box. I’ve been shooting a pair that I had Boomstick Jay work on  for five years with no issues. .He hand fitted the internals on these guns and they are awesome. I would say if you’d rather not send them out, go with Rugers.

Cholla:

What's with the different grips on the two photos of the Bisley?

One has what looks like actual Colt Hard Rubber grips like on this Colt Bisley that left the factory in 1909.

Do you have two, or did you manage to find some original Colt grips to put on the Uberti (Cimarron) version? Or maybe some replica grips?

I just checked the Cimarron web site and they show smooth varnished grips like in your second photo.

Inquiring minds want to know.

pnqXSFGEj

I have both, the 1872’s for when I shoot black powder as they are easier to clean and Rugers  the rest of the time.   The rugers are smoother and better built.  A spring change if you want and they are good to go.   The 1872’s needed mandrels built up and could use some slicking up as well.  

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Cholla:

What's with the different grips on the two photos of the Bisley?

One has what looks like actual Colt Hard Rubber grips like on this Colt Bisley that left the factory in 1909.

Do you have two, or did you manage to find some original Colt grips to put on the Uberti (Cimarron) version? Or maybe some replica grips?

I just checked the Cimarron web site and they show smooth varnished grips like in your second photo.

Inquiring minds want to know.

pnqXSFGEj

I bought a pair of grips off eBay on a lark to see if they fit. They fit well enough that folks ask if it's the real deal. I did no alterations but I have no idea what the previous owners of the grips did before I got them. And the "Colt" grips are easier to hold on too.

Just be careful with those grips. They are probably over 100 years old, and the Hard Rubber dries out over time. They become very brittle and break easily. I have some original Hard Rubber grips on a S&W Top Break that were obviously repaired with some dark, black stuff at some point. I have another Bisley that has a chunk chipped out of the bottom of one of the grips. Be especially careful if you remove them, don't pry them off or something may break or crack. I actually have quite a few old revolvers with Hard Rubber grips on them and most of them are in very good condition, with the checkering still very strong.

I started with the Ruger Bisely, it took a bit to find the right grip but once I did they pointed very naturally. Then I went to '72's because I love the look. Found them to be natural pointers right off. I worked my 72's over quite a bit, firing pins and triggers and converted the hand springs to Ruger plunger springs, main springs and bolt springs, and removed the "safety" off the hammers. My daughter just got a pair of '72's and they were much better out of the box than mine. I shoot the '72's exclusively but I still fondle my bisleys and will one day pull them out for matches. BTW, my bisleys have half-cocks and that moved the triggers back to more like the clones.

If you like to tinker, I love the '72's, but it is hard to beat the utter dependability of a Ruger. I just love both.

Doc Nelson

If'n you're patient and/or just lucky you can buy Ruger Bisleys for $450 to $500 price range. Over the years I have purchased a number of Rugers NMVs and original sized Vaqueros at no where near prices listed on Ruger's website. Check Gun Broker, The SASS classifieds and your local pawn shops.

Open Tops from Cimarron can also be purchased used from $350 ish to $425 a piece.

I've seen new Cimarron Open Tops sell for great prices online too. Just hafta watch for the bargains.

4 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

The answer then is to make the '72s  "utterly dependable" !  

Mike

That's what Ruger did.........they improved the weak points and just modernized the design. 

57 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

That's what Ruger did.........they improved the weak points and just modernized the design. 

Understood but if you want an actual/close copy of a "period" revolver (or just don't want a 2 pin Ruger),  you can make them as tough if not more so and as reliable as a Ruger!  No slap at Ruger though,  just a "mark" to achieve.  The plus you get is a  Colt type action, correct timing an no "beauty rîng" on the cylinder!   It's all good!!

Mike

On 4/19/2020 at 12:15 PM, Cholla said:

I have a set of both. The Rugers are built like a tank and are going to be easier to self-tune. And if you decide to shoot Classic Cowboy the hammer spur is much easier/quicker to reach compared to the 1872s. Don't get me wrong. There are days that I just want to go for the Old West feel and I use the 1872s and my 1860 Henry and love every minute of it.

IMG_3042.JPG

You can always have the spurs turned down for easier reach! I have a bad thumb so I had ol#4 turn the spurs down.  I heard boomstick does it also.  

Rafe 

Such a great picture! Well done!

IMG_3042.thumb.JPG.0f278130adfae67913be72849b599e7b.JPG

Archived