SASS Wire Forum

Remember and celebrate Patriots Day today

Trooper Ozzy

Today was the start of our 8 year war against tyranny. Lexington and Concord; The Shot Heard Round The World. After shooting Americans in the back, the British were forced to retreat under fire. What started it?  The search and attempted seizure of citizen militia firearms, powder, and shot by an over reaching central government. Sound familiar?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/03/31/the-american-war-of-independence-begins-iii/

Well, it's a virtual Patriot's Day this year.  Usually, a company of Minutemen from my town join the march to the Concord Bridge, and then on to Lexington.  Ceremonies at various points along the route.  Not so this year.

https://www.nps.gov/mima/patriots-day.htm

LL

At least two of my ancestors took part.  Both were Massachusetts militia men (one in a "Minute Man" company -- those were NOT all militia units).  Neither was on Lexington Green, but had been "mobilized" [modern word] prior to the British arrival in Concord, and took part in the fighting all day.  One of them remained on active duty through Bunker Hill.  The other one remained on active duty until 1784, a year after the war ended.

Although the  battles were on the 19th, the day will be officially celebrated on the 3rd Monday which is tomorrow.

Of course the stoners will also be celebrating because it’s 4/20. :blink:

F82857D6-DDAF-416B-BCCB-CBF4CBB812DB.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Although the  battles were on the 19th, the day will be officially celebrated on the 3rd Monday which is tomorrow.

Of course the stoners will also be celebrating because it’s 4/20. :blink:

F82857D6-DDAF-416B-BCCB-CBF4CBB812DB.jpeg

Stoners know that 4/20 is important, they just cannot remember why...bless their hearts. (;) to BGQ)

That minuteman statue is a moving thing, at least to me. :FlagAm:

Ironic the things that pop into a body's mind at times. EVERYTIME I see it in a picture,

it takes me back many years to when I was in elementary school. We purchased War Stamps to paste

in a little book, and  when filled, we could turn it into the bank and get a War bond. Those stamps had 

the Minute Man image on them. IIRC the stamps  were a dime. We bought one each week, on Tuesday, I believe. 

54 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

That minuteman statue is a moving thing, at least to me. :FlagAm:

Ironic the things that pop into a body's mind at times. EVERYTIME I see it in a picture,

it takes me back many years to when I was in elementary school. We purchased War Stamps to paste

in a little book, and  when filled, we could turn it into the bank and get a War bond. Those stamps had 

the Minute Man image on them. IIRC the stamps  were a dime. We bought one each week, on Tuesday, I believe. 

Absolutely.  I have stood at the bridge, imagining what the Colonials must have felt as they did the same.  It is deeply stirring.  Men from my town died at Lexington; this time of year is so much more than a day off from work.

The orange cylinder on the base of the statute is a cigar tube.  A few years back, Utah Bob was collecting soil samples from all 50 states for his VFW project.  I collected some soil from the area near the monument, and sent it along.

LL

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

What's the 4/20 thing?

JHC

It's the California penal code for illegal drugs, so the stoners use it to refer to marijuana.  "4/20 duuuuuuuuude!"  So every April 20th they all get high.

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Absolutely.  I have stood at the bridge, imagining what the Colonials must have felt as they did the same.  It is deeply stirring.  Men from my town died at Lexington; this time of year is so much more than a day off from work.

The orange cylinder on the base of the statute is a cigar tube.  A few years back, Utah Bob was collecting soil samples from all 50 states for his VFW project.  I collected some soil from the area near the monument, and sent it along.

LL

Pard, what town, and would you mind PM'ing me your real last name?  As a genealogist, I can't help but wonder if we're related, or if our ancestors were in the same unit.

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Pard, what town, and would you mind PM'ing me your real last name?  As a genealogist, I can't help but wonder if we're related, or if our ancestors were in the same unit.

CC:

"Men from my town", not ancestors.  My folks didn't get here until just before the Civil War.  But they did fight in that one.

The town is Boxborough, MA - right next to Acton.  Luther Blanchard was one of 21 men from Boxborough who served with companies from neighboring towns (Littleton and Acton).  He was reportedly the first man shot at the Concord Bridge.  He was 19 yrs old.

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

CC:

"Men from my town", not ancestors.  My folks didn't get here until just before the Civil War.  But they did fight in that one.

The town is Boxborough, MA - right next to Acton.  Luther Blanchard was one of 21 men from Boxborough who served with companies from neighboring towns (Littleton and Acton).  He was reportedly the first man shot at the Concord Bridge.  He was 19 yrs old.

LL

My two ancestors who were there lived in towns near Concord (the names slip me right now).  Their last names were Danforth and Brintnal.

Archived