SASS Wire Forum

Since you brought up tractors

Rain got in one of my tractor hydraulic systems, So I drained and changed it and put a new filter on. There must be air in the system somewhere or something. I try to operate the rear lift and every few seconds the pump will make a noise and it will lift an inch or so. Same thing happens when I operate the loader. 

On a separate but may be related issue the pto doesn't want to run either now. This is a massey ferguson 1250. It has a gear lever that has to be shifted from the off to the 540 position and then you flip a toggle switch to the on position to operate it. This has happened before and it was a low battery that just didn't have enough umph to make it turn on. Since that pto clutch would be in that hydraulic system could that be the problem?

Also, any good way to bleed that system? I've unhooked all the hoses on the loader a bit at a time.

I don't know nuthin bout hydraulic systems or a pto. I do think that Widder can help you though and if he won't, I think a big ol' nanner split would be the answer. ;)

Going back almost fifty years to my 63b20 mos days water will not compress so it will work in a hydraulic system in an emergency but it will require draining the entire system to get it out. It sure isn’t good for the system.

It sounds like there’s air in the system somewhere and air does compress

Agree with Henry. When I changed out a system once, got air in it. Had to drain and while doing so some air showed up. Once a good flow hooked it back up. Still took a while, but once going it ran just as it once did. But, did not have water in it, was just changing the fluid and filters. I sent this question to a friend that may know a little more and see what he has to say. Can't recall if it was on the John Deere or the Kubota. Think it was the Kubota, tho I have also changed on the Deere.

Air in a hydralic system that has been left sitting will rust cylinder walls and the inside of the pump.

If there is air in the system, when it reaches the pump, the pump will cavitate and stop pumping oil.

Or it will pump in jumps as air is passed through.

All the oil and all the air needs to be purge from the system.

THe hoses, the cylinders, the pump.

Basically it means disconnecting all hose fittings.

I might add that just draining, changing the filter and adding fresh hydraulic fluid might not be enough - as sad as this sounds (hydro fluid tends to be pricey), you might want to repeat that process and call it a "flush."

Sassparilla Kid has a Kubota 8030 "split" right now; he and a buddy have been working on it in their spare time for a couple weeks.  Seems it got water in the transmission, and the owner kept on working it.  When the guys drained it, the transmission oil looked like chocolate milk.  Wouldn't shift; when the opened it up they found bearings froze, they've had to cut one gear off the shaft, splines on the shaft ended up mushroomed over...  it's a mess.  

Flush that puppy - and like Cliff suggests, burp it.  And mebbe pray a mite.  

In some systems you have to bleed the pump. Usually by loosening a bleeder bolt. Procedure may be in the owners manual but most likely you will need a service manual.

When bleeding the system be sure the fluid doesn't get too low and put more air into the system.

I operated a veterinary housecall practice from 1982 to 2002.  One of my clients was an expert mechanic whose hobby was was restoring antique tractors in his barn/ workshop.  He had a soft spot for stray cats, fed a dozen or so in his shop, and named every one of them after tractors.  I vaccinated Massy and Ferguson and Case and Farmall and International and Harvester and John and Deere...you get the idea.  One day a new tom cat showed up and was obviously not well.  I examined the newcomer on a workbench and diagnosed a urinary obstruction.  Tom cats have small pipes and frequently can’t empty their bladders.  I sedated my patient, catheterized him, emptied his bladder and started him on antibiotics.  As I filled out his record I asked what his name was.  After a moment my client said “Cockshutt”, and it stuck.

Cocky lived a long life in that barn.

And I learned there used to be a Cockshutt tractor company.

...now back to regular programming....

On 4/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I might add that just draining, changing the filter and adding fresh hydraulic fluid might not be enough - as sad as this sounds (hydro fluid tends to be pricey), you might want to repeat that process and call it a "flush."

Sassparilla Kid has a Kubota 8030 "split" right now; he and a buddy have been working on it in their spare time for a couple weeks.  Seems it got water in the transmission, and the owner kept on working it.  When the guys drained it, the transmission oil looked like chocolate milk.  Wouldn't shift; when the opened it up they found bearings froze, they've had to cut one gear off the shaft, splines on the shaft ended up mushroomed over...  it's a mess.  

Flush that puppy - and like Cliff suggests, burp it.  And mebbe pray a mite.  

yep. The hyd fluid in one of mine looked like chocolate milk and the system  quit working. Change of filter and fluid fixed it. Air goes to the top of the system so when that happens I open whatever valve is highest.

Back when I was just a young newbie at Hoover's, I drove one of those 8BN's every once in a while. Might not have been as old as that one, but looked very similar. Was on a Kubota 2320 today as we put the repaired mower deck back on it. Put it on and took it off three times before my associate called the game and we loaded it back on the pickup to go back to the tractor shop. Had a noise in it that we couldn't find the cause. Blades were tight and not hitting anything even though the deck wall is cracked. We suspect the new blade mount's bearings are not good, or, the belt is hitting/rubbing somewhere. That thing is heavy and I'm feeling it tonight for sure. We were discussing the hydro system our selves this afternoon:rolleyes::blink::blush:

On 4/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Rain got in one of my tractor hydraulic systems, So I drained and changed it and put a new filter on. There must be air in the system somewhere or something. I try to operate the rear lift and every few seconds the pump will make a noise and it will lift an inch or so. Same thing happens when I operate the loader. 

On a separate but may be related issue the pto doesn't want to run either now. This is a massey ferguson 1250. It has a gear lever that has to be shifted from the off to the 540 position and then you flip a toggle switch to the on position to operate it. This has happened before and it was a low battery that just didn't have enough umph to make it turn on. Since that pto clutch would be in that hydraulic system could that be the problem?

Also, any good way to bleed that system? I've unhooked all the hoses on the loader a bit at a time.

You might contact Two Step Net, she probably has a service manual.  They had a Massy dealership at one time.

Cockshutt ended up being a Canadian Oliver. The later ones looked exactly like an oliver...except the name plate and the color.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I need one bad.

Tennessee, you can get a service manual (covers all but engine - that's a separate manual) from Amazon for about $75 - $80:

Amazon

Or, you can download one from these folks for fifteen bucks:

https://www.equipmanuals.com/dl/massey-ferguson-1125-1140-1145-1240-1250-1260-tractor-service-repair-manual/

Dangit... Now ya got me in the mood to go work on my old MF 135.  Poor thing's been languishing outside a buddy's barn for years.  :(

Archived