SASS Wire Forum

Dillon XL650 after-market lamp

Dusty Devil Dale

I just added two things to a Dillon XL650.  The first was a center mounted 22 led light, which makes it possible to visually (roughly) check for powder before inserting bullets.  It will help avoid squibs caused by no powder.  (It's a fail safe after the usual Powder Check stage, which has worked for me preventing double or overcharges, but has not always caught failed powder drops.)

The second fix is very low tech and cheap.  After dumping a couple hundred rounds of .38 brass into the case loader on top of a handful of remaining .32 H&R mag cases, and spending a half hour sorting them out, I installed a couple 12" x12" mirror tiles on the ceiling, directly over my unit.  At a glance I can now verify if the case loader is empty, or know when I need to add brass.   Previously, I used a short ladder, which always seemed to team up with my laziness and procrastination, to cause problems. 

Just thought I'd pass these on for those who may have interest. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I bet that light makes a big difference. I put a UFO light on my Lee Turret and can't help but wonder how I ever managed without it.

That goes triple for my old eyes watching through trifocals.  The new light was like the sun coming out after a storm.  

Hendo,

What is a “UFO light”?

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Hendo,

What is a “UFO light”?

Cat Brules

It is what my tired old eyes needed. I tried the Inline Fabrication light first, but I wasn't satisfied with the placement of the light and the softer glow of the LEDs. 

The KMS Squared light mounts directly to the underside of the turret with a brighter line of LEDs which illuminate straight down into the shell.

20200123_173827.thumb.jpg.812647508ec52cb69e7efccb65a4fd9e.jpg

https://shop.kmssquared.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fufo-lt

Archived