SASS Wire Forum

Cast iron creations

I love cooking and baking with Dutch ovens and cast iron in general.  Some folks don't believe me that you can bake a pie in a cast iron skillet, but here is the proof!  I prefer cherry, but we're all out of cherries.  I had some blueberries, so that's what I made.  I need to get a little more artistic in how I cut those vent holes, but this particular crust recipe is SWEET and FLAKY!  I've used it on numerous pies, and it's become my go-to.  

IMG_2276.JPG

I got a charcoal cooking table for use with my cast iron and Dutch Ovens. It has been a long time since I did anything with my ovens. It’s close to time to remedy that. 

That is one good looking pie. I haven’t been that adventurous yet but I love making biscuits, stews, roasts and chickens in my ovens. I have tried baking bread in a Dutch Oven but it really didn’t work for me but I am sure with practice I could figure it out. 

There are supposed to be three. I remember that from Mr. Nightlinger.

"Three slits in the crust. One to let the steam out, and the other two because that's the way your mama did it."

Were you planning on sharing that "sweet and flaky" crust recipe with us?

Those vent holes ~ did ya use a bayonet...?   :rolleyes:

Love Dutch Oven cooking!  

Slim, that reminds me of a Scout trip to the Pinnacles National Park about 12 - 13 years ago.  Campfires and charcoal cooking banned because of the typical California fire danger, so the only use we got out of the DO's was a big ol' batch of stew cooked atop a Coleman stove.

But we still had pie!  ^_^

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I love cooking and baking with Dutch ovens and cast iron in general.  Some folks don't believe me that you can bake a pie in a cast iron skillet, but here is the proof!  I prefer cherry, but we're all out of cherries.  I had some blueberries, so that's what I made.  I need to get a little more artistic in how I cut those vent holes, but this particular crust recipe is SWEET and FLAKY!  I've used it on numerous pies, and it's become my go-to.  

Can you share this blueberry pie recipe?

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Henry, not only do I own his first book, but I've made everything in it and half the stuff on his YouTube channel :)

I have both of them and I’m working my way through them. They are never out of arms reach 

I wish I had a way to use my cast iron.  I have a glass cooktop so I don't dare use it on that.  There is no possibility of getting gas plumbed into the house due to the expense so I'm kinda stuck. 

I would love your recipes though......  :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I have a glass cooktop as well, and I use my cast iron on it all the time. It works out great, just don't drop it on the glass, or slide it across the glass from one burner to the other.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

I wish I had a way to use my cast iron.  I have a glass cooktop so I don't dare use it on that.  There is no possibility of getting gas plumbed into the house due to the expense so I'm kinda stuck. 

I would love your recipes though......  :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Do you have an outdoor grill? Cast iron pans work fine on them and Dutch ovens work quite well in the oven 

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I have a glass cooktop as well, and I use my cast iron on it all the time. It works out great, just don't drop it on the glass, or slide it across the glass from one burner to the other.

Pard, I use my cast iron both indoors and outdoors.  Our indoor stove is a glass top!  It works fine, just don't slide it around.  Pick it straight up and then put it straight down.   I'd prefer to have a gas stove, but the electric glass top was in the house when we bought it.  When it poops out someday I'm going to replace it with gas, but in the meantime, my cast iron has touched it every day for the past nine years we've lived in the house with no problem.

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I use cast iron a lot.  Need to do some dutch oven camp cooking again.  

Hahaha :)  I use them camping and at home.  I love camping, but I don't have to go camping to break out one of my four Dutch ovens :)  

10 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Hahaha :)  I use them camping and at home.  I love camping, but I don't have to go camping to break out one of my four Dutch ovens :)  

Me either.  In fact, I'm more likely to cook in dutch ovens in the back yard than I am with the camper.  We camp so I can do other things than hang around the camper.  

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Everyone keeps asking for my recipes.  They come from a book that is currently in print and copyrighted.  Is it ok to post a picture of the pages, or does that violate a copyright law?

How about the name of the book? We may be able to find where to get a copy. Amazon anyone?

Anyone here ever use a potjie....?   By the way ~ it's pronounced "poy-kee."   :)

A scoutmaster brought one along on a camp trip once, and I've been wanting one since.  One of these days...   :rolleyes:

potjie pot, potjie pot Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

2 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

How about the name of the book? We may be able to find where to get a copy. Amazon anyone?

Here's the book I'm using for cast iron pies:  https://smile.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Pies-Cookbook-Delicious-Cookware/dp/1604336951/ref=sr_1_3?crid=233F7JQZ0DCUK&dchild=1&keywords=cast+iron+pies+cookbook&qid=1587335544&sprefix=cast+iron+pies+coo%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-3

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Anyone here ever use a potjie....?   By the way ~ it's pronounced "poy-kee."   :)

A scoutmaster brought one along on a camp trip once, and I've been wanting one since.  One of these days...   :rolleyes:

potjie pot, potjie pot Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

I don't use one.  James Townsend and Son (sells stuff for re-enacting the 18th century) sells them, and they are VERY EXPENSIVE!  Then if you want a lid it costs more!

Google it, you can find them on eBay for around $70.00, complete with a lid.

But since they are an African descendent of a Dutch Oven, I will just stick with them.

8 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I don't use one.  James Townsend and Son (sells stuff for re-enacting the 18th century) sells them, and they are VERY EXPENSIVE!  Then if you want a lid it costs more!

Wow... I just looked it up on Mister Townsend's site ~ he's quite proud of his products indeed!

I really enjoy the videos... but that same pot can be had from Amazon for a hundred bucks.  Lid included.  Every time I'm tempted to pop for one, something else takes priority.:(

It had been kinda fun over the years spotting 'em in Western movies, usually hanging from a hook over a fire.  ^_^

45 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Wow... I just looked it up on Mister Townsend's site ~ he's quite proud of his products indeed!

I really enjoy the videos... but that same pot can be had from Amazon for a hundred bucks.  Lid included.  Every time I'm tempted to pop for one, something else takes priority.:(

It had been kinda fun over the years spotting 'em in Western movies, usually hanging from a hook over a fire.  ^_^

There's a guy on eBay. Has three of them in different sizes. $60 each. Give you a discount if you buy two, and a bigger discount if you buy all three.

Only problem is he is in Huntington Beach, and will not ship. You must come fetch.

Archived