SASS Wire Forum

I have to stop reading Hillerman books

Utah Bob #35998

They’re making me seriously homesick. :(

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Is his daughter's stuff as good as his?

I think they pretty much are. I enjoyed them.

I know I was quite disappointed with Bart Skelton's stuff. If I had never heard the name, and just started reading him, maybe it would have been okay. But I bought his book on name recognition - expecting him to be as good as Skeeter. He's not.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I know I was quite disappointed with Bart Skelton's stuff. If I had never heard the name, and just started reading him, maybe it would have been okay. But I bought his book on name recognition - expecting him to be as good as Skeeter. He's not.

Anne Hillerman seems to have remained very much in keeping with Tony's style. Great descriptions of the terrain in the Nation and the Navajo customs. She has 4 books out. I've read three.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They’re making me seriously homesick. :(

That is one of the reasons I read them! I worked on the Navajo reservation for a number of years and lived on it for a couple of those. I think of Arizona as my home state and I miss the landscape and the people on and around the reservation.

I recently read a Leaphorn book written by his daughter. She did a good job and I will read any others she writes.

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Anne Hillerman seems to have remained very much in keeping with Tony's style. Great descriptions of the terrain in the Nation and the Navajo customs. She has 4 books out. I've read three.

That is good to know. I am reading The Sinister Pig right now and only have two more of her father's books to read.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Big shoes to fill and no one can do that.  However, Bart hasn't had the vast experience of being around really old-style border lawmen and I doubt that he got in near as much mischief as a youngun on the Texas High Plains.  Thus, his stories lack the flair....maybe thats a shortcoming of Barts but I read his stories anyway.

I have enjoyed all of the Hillerman books that I have read , and I think I am up to date with all of them , unless Anne Hillerman has one newer than 3 or 4 months ago.

I didn't read any of the books when I lived in Farmington. After I retired and moved to Texas , started reading them , and being familiar with the area made them much more enjoyable. 

Rex :D

Archived