SASS Wire Forum

Coyotes

Sawyer

I saw a couple antelope bucks acting weird. They had a coyote cornered against a stack of railroad ties and were kicking the crap out of him.

I've seen a group of antelope circle coyotes and kick at them also. 

One or two coyotes will hang around birthing cattle, they will wait for hours to get the afterbirth. Never seen coyotes attack a calf. Other cattle will defend calves. 

Their numbers are on the rise around here. They were scarce for several years due to the mange.

Around here,  feral dows are more dangerous and cause more livestock and wildlife damage. 

Four years ago we came home to see a pack of dogs on a fresh deer kill.  I went down with a gun and they scattered.  Except for one that stopped and turned broadside.  

I set up a trail cam and got pictures of 20 some different dowgs without collars. Around here, any dowg without a collar is assumed to be feral. 

I got a picture of one big dog with a collar.  The owner came around looking for it.  He had let it out and it didn't return before he had to go to work. Then days past and it hadn't returned.  I showed him the slide show. Yeap, that was his dowg.   I gave him permission to go around our farm to look for his dowg. I didn't know if he ever found it.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:07 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I can't tell the difference in a Red Wolf and a Coyote.

Is there a visual difference?

..........Widder

It's actually much easier than you might think.  There are no red wolves in the wild, so if you see it in the wild, it's a coyote.  If you see it in captivity, read the placard on the cage. 

Every time they try to reintroduce them into the wild, local coyotes out compete and interbreed with them.  Any place where they used to be likely have coyotes that are part Red Wolf.  So even though they're on the endangered species list, you won't get in trouble if you accidentally shoot one.  They might actually be pleased to find one in the wild.  If I'm not mistaken, the experts can only tell the difference with a DNA test.  Every once in a while someone thinks they've killed a wild red wolf, but every time the experts determine it's a coyote. 

I read that back in the day, they would try to exterminate all the coyotes in the area they were going to reintroduce, but more coyotes would just move in.  Then they tried to spay and neuter all the coyotes in an area and the coyotes STILL out competed and outbred them. 

• 3 months later...

I live in a small town in Kansas, population of around 10,000. The wife and I noticed something was eating our green tomatoes in the pots on our deck. We suspected it was a possum so I placed my trail camera out there focused on the plants. Next day we were surprised to find it was a coyote! How it got through or over our 6 ft. cedar fence  is  still puzzling but the video is true evidence.

On 4/19/2020 at 6:54 AM, Warden Callaway said:

I've never heard anything like this kind of aggressive behavior in coyotes.  They have always cowered away from humans and then to press on after being shot at.  

I wouldn't have fired a warning shot. 

I live on the Central Coast here in California on my ranch, about 6 miles into the County from the Village. This is a cattle and farming area generally; i have pure bred horses here.  A lone coyote is generally timid, but when they show up in a group of three or more, they are aggressive and unafraid, and they’ll often size you up as pray.  I don’t shoot coyotes if I can help it, and I am always armed and always aware.  They don’t howl or make noise when they’re skulking around.

There are also other aggressive “coyotes,” (illegal alien gang-thug types) who just come through the wire looking for something to steal. They’re usually unafraid as well, and travel in pairs. Often they are armed. There have been a couple of times that they reached inside their untucked long shirts, and act surprised when they’re looking down the barrel of a single action Army, or a 1911, or a Beretta 9mm.  IF they’re armed, the pistol stay here.  They leave quick enough when the story’s over, so the Sheriff doesn’t get them.  They always have a car cruising back and forth on the road in front.

I don’t sleep well, and I often go outside at all times of the night, to listen carefully to see if anything is going on with the horses. When I leave the house and walk across the pasture to the fenced area where I keep the horses, I carry a 10 inch knife, a side arm, and a 12 gauge shotgun. I am not so much afraid of coyotes, but I am afraid of mountain lions. They are usually too careful to go after a horse, but they will. They hardly er do it, but they’re less careful about attacking a human in the dark like that. I carry a strong flashlight and as I walk I walk turning in circles shining the light looking for eye reflections from big cats. I see those eyes often enough out there, but I don’t shoot.  As long as they keep their distance I leave them alone.  Once you’ve spotted them, the threat is minimized.  A couple of weeks ago one of my neighbor’s sheep was taken by a big mountain lion.  There wasn’t much left.  I figure if one of them jumped me before I can swing the shotgun around, I’ll be face down on my stomach unable to use the shotgun.  I would have to either pull the SAA revolver or grab the ten-inch knife and get it into him before he kills me.  The problem is, they try to take you from behind and break your neck.  It doesn’t bother me much; I am just stay very aware and very careful.  So far, so good.

Cat Brules

Yodel dogs are moved East as well.
Thirty years ago, my best friend (rest his soul) was fire chief.
He had lights and siren on his pickup truck -- he'd newly installed a Federal 28, the coffee grinder version of the famous Q, it's uglier and does not have the long roll air bearings -- anyway this is about coyotes not siren, sorry about that -- he got the siren mounted and wired up to a foot switch.

I am six two and Brother Beymer was half a head taller and half again broader at the shoulder.

He could walk up to, pick up and walk off with pretty much anything he darn well pleased.

He climbed his long tall carcass in that pickup truck and planted his hind hoof on the foot switch (completely by accident) and wound up that mechanical siren, just sitting in his rural Guernsey County driveway.

He swore and brought his boot off the button, but as the siren wound down, we heard the first 'yotes we'd either one heard in all our young lives.

There was a yodel dog on the hill to the north, on the rise to the south, on a point to our east, and in the woods off to the west.

Guernsey County, Ohio.

Saw a brindle 'yote twenty years ago here in Lorain County, halfway between the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point, and one of our plant operators was scared the 'yotes are going to eat him alive on midnight shift. He's transferred to days so we have no more breathless reports of coyote song.

Regarding how aggressive some coyotes have become, I think it has a lot to do with becoming "urbanized" and used to being around humans.

We're seeing that around here in Ottawa, (Canada's Capital) especially where new subdivisions are built in formerly rural and bush areas.

The error made by newcomers, (coming from the core of the city), is thinking they can let their small or medium size dog run around and explore the still forested areas surrounding us, where they become a snack or the main course. 

Until I got the Community Association to add a notice to their website, the Fishers around here were making a buffet of peoples cats.

The coyotes have recently killed and eaten the fox kits behind my house. My wife enjoys watching the baby foxes. Now I'm going into kill mode on coyotes,

they are very wary and don't come around during daylight hours. There might be one baby left out of five. 

Archived