SASS Wire Forum

Coyotes

Sawyer

I used to hear them all the time.........then I went deaf.   I don't hear nothing anymore.

I wear aids to help but I take them out at night.   Often times, the Bunkhouse Boss says.... 'those coyotes are 

going crazy tonight out in the field'.   Sometimes, but not often, I will see one drifting thru the farm area or

back yard.

..........Widder

I think they howl for a while, then shut up, get serious, split up and go looking for something to eat.

My neighbor has several sheep.  I don’t know why....contrary to some people’s’ belief, coyotes will go after them.  They also have a very large Great Pyranese Sheepdog that herds them together and looks after them.  Great to see that.  The dog is something to see.

There's a pack that like to hold midnight and early morning sing-songs across the creek from my place.

They're pretty considerate though.

Once they hear me crank open the upstairs window they shut up and run off.

Might have been something I said.

Sterling01.jpg

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I can't tell the difference in a Red Wolf and a Coyote.

Is there a visual difference?

..........Widder

Wolf is more robust looking. Coyotes have long legs.

In my opinion, Wolves move deliberately, like they’re looking for something to kill.

Coyotes move sneaky and nervous, like they’re gonna steal something. ;)

https://dickinsoncountyconservationboard.com/2018/10/22/five-differences-between-coyotes-and-wolves/

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

This one stopped at 200 yards. That used to be a safe distance! 

IMG_20181117_091356210.jpg

Now that's a good coyote.

Duffield

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

58d954989b9f4_coyote3.jpg.8872b53c243e7c4a6a033f1137dc7683.jpg

Ol'Lucky caught on Candid Camera.  We hear and see them all the time. 

The top picture shows what is going on with coyotes today. This one is pretty sickly, probably has mange and a parasite or 2. We see quite a few in this condition. The bottom one is in prime condition.

42 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The top picture shows what is going on with coyotes today. This one is pretty sickly, probably has mange and a parasite or 2. We see quite a few in this condition. The bottom one is in prime condition.

One eye is missing and it's carrying one leg.  Other than that..,

58d928a028707_coyote2.jpg.21484dd5ad3de65029d3b62d98c9b1b5.jpg

Probably the same coyote earlier in the year. 

I see coyotes behind my back fence almost every day.  The singing dog choir sure do their thing here at night.  Just the other night they sounded like they were serenading right under my bedroom window.

aR1lOZ.jpg

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

There's a pack that like to hold midnight and early morning sing-songs across the creek from my place.

They're pretty considerate though.

Once they hear me crank open the upstairs window they shut up and run off.

Might have been something I said.

Sterling01.jpg

Ah! the old SMG, I carried one of those for three years back in the mid 60's along with a Browning 9mm when I was stationed at RCAF Stn Val d'Or, QC guarding nuclear weapons.

Usually at night they are going at it around here. Daytime you'll catch them running around at times.

I hear them howling most nights. I looked out the back window of the house  about 20 minutes ago and this guy was in the yard. I saw him come up out of the back field and I got these pictures before he headed in to the north field.

Back Window.JPG

Back window 2.JPG

They were watching me and Cooper (cow dog) today when I was out in the pasture splitting firewood.  Fox has a fresh litter of kits and the coyotes could take them if they get hungry enough. I'm keeping a close watch, Belle enjoys the fox and her babies. 

Coyotes are getting too aggressive around here.  They are watching for cows to go into labor and attack when giving birth or just as the calf is on the ground.   The farmers that rent our pasture have lost several calves and foiled several in the act. 

Back in the late 60's and early 70's the state of Kansas would pay you to shoot coyotes. I think it was $2.50 per ear submitted. You could leave the carcasses out on the prairie too.  My buddy and I would head out early when it was still dark and settle in near a watering spot in an open area as dawn came. He had a .222 Rem. in a 14" Thompson Contender and I had my 30/30 Winchester. He usually out did me since he had a 4x scope but we still had some great times.  I think the most we ever cashed in was around $20 but the near by ranchers appreciated us since they had new born calves in the pastures. 

17 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I used to hear cougars at night but I stopped going to bars and got old.:ph34r:

I used to chase them kind of cougars too. And I let more than a couple catch me. ;)

Now days, I am considerably older than them cougars ever were.

Where DOES the time go?

47 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Coyotes are getting too aggressive around here.  They are watching for cows to go into labor and attack when giving birth or just as the calf is on the ground.   The farmers that rent our pasture have lost several calves and foiled several in the act. 

Made me remember.   Some years ago, shortly after we purchased the ranch, a “neighbor” asked if they could keep some cows on our place, and I ignorantly agreed.  They didn’t tell us, and we didn’t know, the cows were all pregnant.

About 1 1/2 months later, one of the cows went into labor (I was home for about ten days at the time) and I sat down there with my light and Win94 and counted 7 pairs of eyes barking and howling, wanting to get in and take the calf.   The cow was bellowing while the calf was coming out.  I got a lariat on it behind its legs, but wound up taking hold of it and pulling it out.  The cow got up, left the calf with me and staggered up the hill to the trough to drink (“Hey GD it!  Get back here and look after this calf!”)  Nope, the coyotes started moving in.  I turned on my light, levered a round into the chamber and fired off the slug between the front feet of the nearest coyote.  They backed up a bit but wouldn’t leave.  They meant to take the calf, but kept busy fighting amongst themselves for the afterbirth.  I cranked out the empty, chambering a new round, picked it up, slipped it in a pocket, and then pushed 2 more rounds into the magazine.  No, I didn’t want to shoot the coyotes.

i put the rifle in the “truck bed” of the golf cart, slipped the hammer thong off my SAA and stared wrestling the calf into the golf cart.  I was a bloody mess.  One of the coyotes came right up and grabbed the calf’s hind leg.  I drew the SAA and hit the coyote alongside the face and skull with the barrel, then fired a round into the ground amongst the group of them.  They backed off some and I finally got the calf into the golf cart and drove up to the upper corral to get the cow.  She was still drinking water.  I wrestled the bloody calf out of the golf cart and the cow began nuzzling the calf.  I called it good, turned the hose on my Win94  and the SAA, then drove out the gate and closed them up in there.  Then, I went back and threw out a couple flakes of alfalfa.  Next morning I called the cows’ owners and told them to get their cattle off my place, that they didn’t tell me they were all pregnant and they weren’t safe here.  BUT, when I let mother and calf out, the calf ran over to the golf cart and started bawling.  The calf had bonded to the damn golf cart!!  I had to get a rope on the calf and take it to the mother.  It was two days of doing that before the calf figured out where the tit was and how to get the milk out!  And, to leave the golf cart alone!  I think it would have starved otherwise.  Good grief.  

My wife thought this whole thing was hilarious, especially the part where she had to hose me down so I could get out of my clothes and into the shower.  I didn’t know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ babies!!  I unloaded my weapons and washed them down with water and dish soap, then drenched them in WD40.  Later, I partially dismantled them and got some real oil into them and laid them on an old towel.  None the worse for wear. 

A few days later the owners showed up with a cattle trailer, loaded up all the cows and got them out.  I asked them how many calves they lost each year to the coyotes.  They said it never happened.  I asked them why they would want to lie about something like that, and to never ask to keep their animals on my place again.

This was a long time ago.  The coyotes were out there all the time, and still are to a lesser extent, but never came in so close like that again....ever. 

Live and learn, I guess.

Cat Brules

I used to hear 'em at night on the ridge across the creek from the house. Then our illustrious fish and wildlife department let us know that the neighborhood wolves were about. A couple days later the coyotes when silent...

I watched a pair work together to try to sucker a dog away from the house one morning. The way they did it was too smooth for it to have been random -- they had to have had an idea of our morning routine and when they would have the opportunity. I'm convinced that if I hadn't changed up the routine (still not sure why I did), I'd have lost the dog that day.

If I can get a clean shot, I won't hesitate to put a coyote down and count it a day with a win. They'll take calves, fawns, pets, any chance they get.

10 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Made me remember.   Some years ago, shortly after we purchased the ranch, a “neighbor” asked if they could keep some cows on our place, and I ignorantly agreed.  They didn’t tell us, and we didn’t know, the cows were all pregnant.

About 1 1/2 months later, one of the cows went into labor (I was home for about ten days at the time) and I sat down there with my light and Win94 and counted 7 pairs of eyes barking and howling, wanting to get in and take the calf.   The cow was bellowing while the calf was coming out.  I got a lariat on it behind its legs, but wound up taking hold of it and pulling it out.  The cow got up, left the calf with me and staggered up the hill to the trough to drink (“Hey GD it!  Get back here and look after this calf!”)  Nope, the coyotes started moving in.  I turned on my light, levered a round into the chamber and fired off the slug between the front feet of the nearest coyote.  They backed up a bit but wouldn’t leave.  They meant to take the calf, but kept busy fighting amongst themselves for the afterbirth.  I cranked out the empty, chambering a new round, picked it up, slipped it in a pocket, and then pushed 2 more rounds into the magazine.  No, I didn’t want to shoot the coyotes.

i put the rifle in the “truck bed” of the golf cart, slipped the hammer thong off my SAA and stared wrestling the calf into the golf cart.  I was a bloody mess.  One of the coyotes came right up and grabbed the calf’s hind leg.  I drew the SAA and hit the coyote alongside the face and skull with the barrel, then fired a round into the ground amongst the group of them.  They backed off some and I finally got the calf into the golf cart and drove up to the upper corral to get the cow.  She was still drinking water.  I wrestled the bloody calf out of the golf cart and the cow began nuzzling the calf.  I called it good, turned the hose on my Win94  and the SAA, then drove out the gate and closed them up in there.  Then, I went back and threw out a couple flakes of alfalfa.  Next morning I called the cows’ owners and told them to get their cattle off my place, that they didn’t tell me they were all pregnant and they weren’t safe here.  BUT, when I let mother and calf out, the calf ran over to the golf cart and started bawling.  The calf had bonded to the damn golf cart!!  I had to get a rope on the calf and take it to the mother.  It was two days of doing that before the calf figured out where the tit was and how to get the milk out!  And, to leave the golf cart alone!  I think it would have starved otherwise.  Good grief.  

My wife thought this whole thing was hilarious, especially the part where she had to hose me down so I could get out of my clothes and into the shower.  I didn’t know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ babies!!  I unloaded my weapons and washed them down with water and dish soap, then drenched them in WD40.  Later, I partially dismantled them and got some real oil into them and laid them on an old towel.  None the worse for wear. 

A few days later the owners showed up with a cattle trailer, loaded up all the cows and got them out.  I asked them how many calves they lost each year to the coyotes.  They said it never happened.  I asked them why they would want to lie about something like that, and to never ask to keep their animals on my place again.

This was a long time ago.  The coyotes were out there all the time, and still are to a lesser extent, but never came in so close like that again....ever. 

Live and learn, I guess.

Cat Brules

I've never heard anything like this kind of aggressive behavior in coyotes.  They have always cowered away from humans and then to press on after being shot at.  

I wouldn't have fired a warning shot. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've never heard anything like this kind of aggressive behavior in coyotes.  They have always cowered away from humans and then to press on after being shot at.  

I wouldn't have fired a warning shot. 

Had some very aggressive coyotes in California.  Heard of several hikers being followed and one being attacked all within a mile of downtown Ontario.

Archived