SASS Wire Forum

New Winchester 405

Hells Comin

Winchester will once again start manufacturing the 1895 lever in 405. They will be available may/june this year. 

Do any of you have any experience with this caliber in a lever gun. I will be shooting jacked reloads.

Would like to know ease of reloading load data and opinion of the 405.

Thanks in advance.

Hells Comin 

A friend in Amarillo had one of the last batch of 405s.  Be prepared to get the stuffing kicked out of you.  This was the hardest kicking rifle I ever saw.

Duffield

29 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

A friend in Amarillo had one of the last batch of 405s.  Be prepared to get the stuffing kicked out of you.  This was the hardest kicking rifle I ever saw.

Duffield

Especially with a 400 grain pill.

The rifle was TR's favorite African big game rifle.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Especially with a 400 grain pill.

The rifle was TR's favorite African big game rifle.

I'm not ashamed to admit that TR was more of a man than I am. There's a reason Death came for him in his sleep.

18 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Winchester will once again start manufacturing the 1895 lever in 405. They will be available may/june this year. 

Do any of you have any experience with this caliber in a lever gun. I will be shooting jacked reloads.

Would like to know ease of reloading load data and opinion of the 405.

Thanks in advance.

Hells Comin 

Doin a little coyote huntin HC?

kR

A life long friend has an original 95 his Dad bought new. It is a 30-06 and it kicks like hell also. I think it has more to do with stock design than caliber. This 95 still has it's original steel butt cap. Off course thee heavier the bullet, the recoil increases accordingly.

The 405 is adequate for North American game although used in Africa it was considered a poor choice by John Taylor in his book ' African Rifles and Cartridges"  The reputation for punishing recoil is caused by the curved butt plate and stock design.  56.0 gains of 4895 will push a 300 gr. SP about 2230 fps with 3321 lbs of energy.  57.0 grs. of 3031 with the same bullet about 2250 fps with 3380 lbs. of energy.  Brass can be made from 30/40 Krag brass but it is short and should only be used with low pressure loads.  

Hope i didn't jump the gun.

There's no Winchester 405 brass anywhere,  so i ordered 2 boxes of ammo $$$$.

Figuring that once the rifle comes available I'll have some to shoot then reload them. Next i better order the dies because there are few available. 

Archived