SASS Wire Forum

A Great Cowboy lost, Itasca Bill

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

Many of us Sass shooters in the upper Midwest had the pleasure of knowing and shooting with a true gentleman Bill Picht "Itasca Bill" of northern Minnesota. It is with sadness that I learned that Bill lost his short fight with cancer. I first met  Itasca Bill and his family when I started SASS shooting over twenty years ago. He was a hard worker, a good Father /Grandfather, Husband and one to always be the first to extend a helping hand. Over the years we have enjoyed being around Bill and his family of shooters.

Bill was a great shooter one who always worked to shoot a match clean. So many times he was successful at the clean match award as well as placing in his class at a match. Bill and his wife "Anita Nugun" frequently traveled over the country making new friends and taking in SASS matches. I like so many others will miss his smile, hardy laugh and quiet encouragement. Below is a photo from a match that his wife provided.

image.png Bill.png

So sad, Itasca Bill was a great guy. Everyone always looked forward to seeing and shooting with him. Bill was a real cowboy, the picture shows Bill riding a Bull in 1964.

AB7A224D-2F93-4CFD-8015-6312F9850700.jpeg

Really sad news. Gambler's Gal and I shot many matches with Bill and his wife. I always looked up to Bill as my personal match competitor as someone to beat. In all the years I shot with him, the clean match was his first challenge and goal and I did my best to keep up with him. The only time in 20 years of shooting, I got a clean match pin at Gunsmoke, Bill got one also.  It was a real hoot when all of his family came to the matches and shot with their Mom and Dad. Too many friends leaving. Condolences to his wife and family. RIP Itasca Bill.

Words cannot adequately express the sense of loss felt by all who knew Bill.  He took me into his shooting family, and he taught me how not only to be a better shooter, but a better person as well.  It was always a pleasure to meet up with Bill and his family, they showed us all how to look after each other on the range and in life.  The very first time I shot a clean match was at a state shoot we attended together.  He made a big deal about my achievement, and when no recognition was given to the clean shooters, Bill and Anita made a certificate and mailed it to me.  Itasca Bill was my friend, teacher, and mentor.  The hole he has left will never be filled.  My condolences go out to his wife Anita Nugun, his sons, grandchildren, and family and many friends.  Rest in peace Bill, you were truly a man to ride the rough country with, posses will not be the same without you.

• 4 weeks later...

I probably won't be shooting anymore but I have good memories of all the fun times and good friends we've had.  I will still be at Squinty Eye, setting up posses, taking entries, and helping where I can.  If you ever make it up there, look for me. Hugs!  Anita

Archived