SASS Wire Forum

ANOTHER military question

Alpo

32 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m kinda dense. Still don’t understand the purpose of the lanyards if they’re not going to hung on anything?

Think of the "lanyard," as just some 550 cord taped to run under the base of the magazine. Now, imagine the magazine in pouch (or pocket) with the base and cord up. All you need to do is hook a finger under the cord and tug the mag out, often easier than pushing fingers or hand into the pouch / pocket. Then, as was previously mentioned, you can always hook them to a carabiner until put away.

It's more for retrieval from however it is being carried than it is for securing it.

27 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Think of the "lanyard," as just some 550 cord taped to run under the base of the magazine. Now, imagine the magazine in pouch (or pocket) with the base and cord up. All you need to do is hook a finger under the cord and tug the mag out, often easier than pushing fingers or hand into the pouch / pocket. Then, as was previously mentioned, you can always hook them to a carabiner until put away.

It's more for retrieval from however it is being carried than it is for securing it.

Now I got it. Thx Doc!

I wish I had a dollar for every “Magazine vs Clip” discussion, dispute, argument I have ever encountered. I would have enough to buy some nice magazine fed toys. ;)

I recently overheard 2 guys arguing over the terms “Mag vs Magazine”. One guy very snottily told another guy at my favorite LGS that “the term ‘mag’ is unacceptable in the military and it’s not permitted to be used and that anyone that calls a magazine a ‘mag’ is ignorant.”

I could not help myself. I had to say something, as I am pretty sick of smarmy buttholes these days. 
I said “Lighten up Francis (my favorite line from Stripes - which dates myself and neither of these two seemed to recognize because the big mouth said “My name’s not Francis” which caused the guys that work at the store to laugh because they knew the reference)...
Anyway, I said “Lighten up Francis! Different people use different terms that may or may not be exact but you know what they mean. And when I was in the Navy it was frowned on to call a rifle or pistol magazine a ‘Mag’ but it was perfectly acceptable to call a magazine where ordnance was stored ‘a mag’. Different branches of the service use different terms. What branch were you in?”

Bigmouth responds “My name is not Francis. It’s John. I wasn’t in the military...”

He said a few other things but I really didn’t hear them as I was fantasizing about marching him around while tugging in his ear and putting a boot in his arse as I showed him the door...

Okay, I said all that to say this:

Lighten up Francis! Arguing over inane crap like this is stupid and in the end, who  &$@#ing cares?!

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wish I had a dollar for every “Magazine vs Clip” discussion, dispute, argument I have ever encountered. I would have enough to buy some nice magazine fed toys. ;)

I recently overheard 2 guys arguing over the terms “Mag vs Magazine”. One guy very snottily told another guy at my favorite LGS that “the term ‘mag’ is unacceptable in the military and it’s not permitted to be used and that anyone that calls a magazine a ‘mag’ is ignorant.”

I could not help myself. I had to say something, as I am pretty sick of smarmy buttholes these days. 
I said “Lighten up Francis (my favorite line from Stripes - which dates myself and neither of these two seemed to recognize because the big mouth said “My name’s not Francis” which caused the guys that work at the store to laugh because they knew the reference)...
Anyway, I said “Lighten up Francis! Different people use different terms that may or may not be exact but you know what they mean. And when I was in the Navy it was frowned on to call a rifle or pistol magazine a ‘Mag’ but it was perfectly acceptable to call a magazine where ordnance was stored ‘a mag’. Different branches of the service use different terms. What branch were you in?”

Bigmouth responds “My name is not Francis. It’s John. I wasn’t in the military...”

He said a few other things but I really didn’t hear them as I was fantasizing about marching him around while tugging in his ear and putting a boot in his arse as I showed him the door...

Okay, I said all that to say this:

Lighten up Francis! Arguing over inane crap like this is stupid and in the end, who  &$@#ing cares?!

I would have been laughing so hard Francis... I mean John... would have wanted to take a swing at me. Stripes is one of my favorite quotable movies, ever.  It was very common in the units I served in to refer to "thirty round mags."

When I was growing up, clip and magazine were used pretty much interchangeably. I was in a particularly foul mood one day and trying to be polite when a guy corrected an older gentleman who used the word clip. I asked him what he put into the magazine to shoot and he said "bullets" I said "No, you put cartridges in. The bullet is the part that is fired out the muzzle." He didn't get my point.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My favorite time was at a gun show. I had taken a gun in to look for a swap, and was haggling with a guy.

I told him I had a half-dozen clips to go with it, at which time a helpful and quite knowledgeable bystander offered his wisdom about clips vs. mags and his opinion of people who didn't know the difference.

After enduring a few tiresome moments of trying to ignore him, I explained how reloading a Broomhandle worked.

The Mauser Model 1896 Broomhandle

Around here at gun shows the biggest (only) seller of magazines can be found under a huge sign that just says CLIPS. 

I'll take the pedantic argument seriously when everyone stops going to the clip booth to buy spare magazines for their new guns. 

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

I would have been laughing so hard Francis... I mean John... would have wanted to take a swing at me. Stripes is one of my favorite quotable movies, ever.  

That’s a fact, Jack! :D

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

My favorite time was at a gun show. I had taken a gun in to look for a swap, and was haggling with a guy.

I told him I had a half-dozen clips to go with it, at which time a helpful and quite knowledgeable bystander offered his wisdom about clips vs. mags and his opinion of people who didn't know the difference.

After enduring a few tiresome moments of trying to ignore him, I explained how reloading a Broomhandle worked.

The Mauser Model 1896 Broomhandle

That's not a clip. It's a bullet holder thingee. And by the way, it's too tall for the gun. ^_^

On 4/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, Alpo said:

Pretty sure that was the original thought with the 1911. That's why the magazines made pre-war have a loop on the bottom.

One of the complaints made during the "I don't care what you want to do - we are going to have an automatic pistol and join the 20th century" trials was that magazines were too expensive and the soldiers would lose them.

Those that promulgated "the soldiers will loose them" probably denied they ever said it after revolvers in 45ACP were issued when not enough 1911's could be made to satisfy the need during WWI.  Well half moon clips are cheaper than mags.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Soooooooo, S/SGT Buxton was correct, yet again. I cannot load my M1Garand  from a MAGAZINE.  

I suppose they don't make ENBLOC MAGAZINES!  HUH!

Not if you have a very rare armory prototype magazine feed Garand.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

When I was growing up, clip and magazine were used pretty much interchangeably.

Same here.   My dad,  Fleet Marine 1940 to 1947, always said clip.

Unless he was talking about the magazine release.  None of us were ever confused. 

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Soooooooo, S/SGT Buxton was correct, yet again. I cannot load my M1Garand  from a MAGAZINE.  

I suppose they don't make ENBLOC MAGAZINES!  HUH!

But you load the clip into the magazine.  It just so happens the magazine isn't detachable.

Archived