SASS Wire Forum

Leather rifle sleeve

Highwall

I found and bought this cowhide suede leather for my 1885. It's 60" without the flap, width starts at 3.5" and it ends at 8". Flap measures 5.5", and ties with leather thongs.

Heavy duty genuine suede leather cowhide
Reinforced sight areas
Flap closure. It was just $50!
Made in USA and the stitching and leather quality was outstanding! 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The cool thing is it's thick enough leather that I can imprint the name of my 1885 with my embossing tools.

ebay cedarsboy2013

32 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Where'd you get it?

ebay cedarsboy2013

I have a couple, but never leave the firearm in the leather after a match.  Some tanned leather will enhance rust opportunities.

2 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I have a couple, but never leave the firearm in the leather after a match.  Some tanned leather will enhance rust opportunities.

This

Very nice looking.  Looks like a space saver, perfect for local transport of a rifle or a Win97 shotgun to and from a match.  It looks sturdy enough so the rifle won’t suffer any scratches, dents or dings.  Saves using a padded zipper case.

I agree, I wouldn’t leave a firearm in that type of case for more than a day or so, because of the likelihood of the leather itself and the moisture it tends to attract, causing corrosion.

A great find! 

Cat Brules

Got one just like it at a tag sale. Works great for my H&R 1871 Buffalo. The leather is quite thick.

That's a very nice case and love that it's made in USA.  If I was going to make one for myself I would line it with a 2-3 oz veg tanned leather.  Suedes are chrome tanned and don't play well with gun metal.  I would think for short term transport it would be fine, but I know me and I'd forget to take the gun out.

Yes, I never leave my rifles in the leather sleeves! It's just for hunting adventures or transporting it to the gun range.  

Archived