SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart Wheels

Yul Lose

Yul,

Do you have any words of wisdom on what size fingers to cut for the box joints?
I figure after you have built so many carts, there would be some lessons-learned wisdom along the way.

I have a good dado set that will go up to 7/8" finger width.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Yul,

Do you have any words of wisdom on what size fingers to cut for the box joints?
I figure after you have built so many carts, there would be some lessons-learned wisdom along the way.

I have a good dado set that will go up to 7/8" finger width.

I use through dovetails on all of mine. I’ve found over time the box joints or finger joints always come apart. If I were to use box joints I’d use 3/8” because you get a lot more gluing surface.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Ok Yul the wheels look beautiful, but what's the next fractal project going to be?  A whole gun cart maybe? Love your work!

Stay tuned. With no EOT and the ankle bracelet:D still on there’s a couple of them in the works.

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Stay tuned. With no EOT and the ankle bracelet:D still on there’s a couple of them in the works.

With things opening up soon I hope the warden let's you out  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yul,  any words of wisdom about the general dimensions or perhaps a method you use to determine the layout?

I'm planning four long guns, six Vaqueros, and the usual cart supplies.
3/4" Baltic birch and 20" Marathon tires.

34 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Yul,  any words of wisdom about the general dimensions or perhaps a method you use to determine the layout?

I'm planning four long guns, six Vaqueros, and the usual cart supplies.
3/4" Baltic birch and 20" Marathon tires.

Open or enclosed long gun cabinet? Baltic birch is a good choice, not as sexy as hardwood, of course. Get the Marathon wheels with the bicycle type rubber not the flat tread ones, they roll better. Replace the bearings with Xike 1/2”ID x 1 3/8”OD bearings unless you want to use 5/8” or 3/4” axles. If you notice my carts they all have a longer chassis with the chest out front and bigger. The reason for that is when the cart is loaded with six long guns in the back and sporting a big umbrella they don’t turn over in a gust of wind. Why don’t you send me a PM and we’ll exchange email information.

Once more, beautiful work. I'm not sure even the word artistry describes it well adequately.

Heck, I'd be interested to see the evolution of Yul carts. How does 001 compare to 00last?

Or do we just have to wait for the docuseries?

Archived