SASS Wire Forum

Gun Cart Wheels

Yul Lose

I bought a Lichtenberg fractal burning machine last week and have been playing with it a little ( my wife says obsessed) and built a  couple of sets of gun cart wheels for a couple of carts I’m building. I used the fractal burner on the spokes. These pictures are both sides of one wheel before I’ve brushed the lacquer on. What do you think?

7A8DA363-38C4-462A-B8AE-9CFA1CEFE871.jpeg

4B07C3E5-EB6C-4892-902F-2BB6E2F6F8DE.jpeg

Just now, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

looks great

I was thinking of getting one of those machines but the chance of killing myself was too great for the wife to give her OK

You’ll die happy.:D

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OFS :excl:

Do certain types of wood work better than others with this engraving? 

OLG 

Yes. The spokes in the picture are African black limba and it burns very well. I’ve experimented with others and didn’t find any that burn quite as well as this one. It is what I call a lighter weight hardwood. Pine and soft woods don’t burn that well. I’m sure as I educate myself there will be ways to make some  of them burn better. Spalted hardwoods like tamarind and maple don’t burn that well they’re to soft.

8 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yes. The spokes in the picture are African black limba and it burns very well. I’ve experimented with others and didn’t find any that burn quite as well as this one. It is what I call a lighter weight hardwood. Pine and soft woods don’t burn that well. I’m sure as I educate myself there will be ways to make some  of them burn better. Spalted hardwoods like tamarind and maple don’t burn that well they’re to soft.

Just wonder how Oak or Ash will do.

You tried mesquite?

OLG 

They look great, Yul, as is usual for you.  But DO BE VERY CAREFUL using that fractal burner.  No short cuts, No working distracted, 100% attention 100% of the time.  It won't give you a second chance.  

Years ago, I bought a bucket driven tree pruner for working my orchard.  A neighbor and contractor immediately approached me a gave me a serious warning.  He said if you ever tip it over, it will go fast and be like a 3000 pound hammer driving you into the ground.  I never forgot his warning.  About ten years later, another neighbor up the road from me was killed when he tipped over an identical machine.  He got the same warning as me, but he took chances and cut corners.   Bad choices. 

DO BE VERY Careful, Yul.  

(added). And be very careful about arcing.  No rings or other  jewelry, no metal belt buckles, no coins in pockets, etc.  (pull all teeth with gold crowns - just kidding).  2,000 v can arc much further than we think if conditions are right.  

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

They look great, Yul, as is usual for you.  But DO BE VERY CAREFUL using that fractal burner.  No short cuts, No working distracted, 100% attention 100% of the time.  It won't give you a second chance.  

Years ago, I bought a bucket driven tree pruner for working my orchard.  A neighbor and contractor immediately approached me a gave me a serious warning.  He said if you ever tip it over, it will go fast and be like a 3000 pound hammer driving you into the ground.  I never forgot his warning.  About ten years later, another neighbor up the road from me was killed when he tipped over an identical machine.  He got the same warning as me, but he took chances and cut corners.   Bad choices. 

DO BE VERY Careful, Yul.  

(added). And be very careful about arcing.  No rings or other  jewelry, no metal belt buckles, no coins in pockets, etc.  (pull all teeth with gold crowns - just kidding).  2,000 v can arc much further than we think if conditions are right.  

This one is 12,000 volts but pretty low amperage. As they say it’s the current that kills not the voltage.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

This one is 12,000 volts but pretty low amperage. As they say it’s the current that kills not the voltage.

Yul, it's the energy (Joules) that kill= voltage x amperage x time. 

I suspect if there's enough amperes to burn wood, there's enough Joules, when Amps are multiplied by 12,000v, to effectively stop a person's heart.   Keep in mind a pacemaker is usually only about 10milliAmps and between 5 and 120v. emitted in instantaneous capacitor bursts  -- and that's enough to capture your heart rhythm.   12,000v and even 1mA across your chest for much longer time spans would be 10x or more the pacemaker joules/energy.  

Please do wear your rubber gloves and follow all the safety instructions.  I don't want to read about you here, instead of looking at pics of your artistry.  

Have fun - - be safe. 

That Lichtenberg fractal burning is so dangerous that the American Association of Woodturners has banned its use at any seminars, training or the displaying of anything burned with it at their meetings.  Apparently a number of woodturners have been killed using those things.  They do make interesting designs but please be extra careful with that process.   

3 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Hey Yul  Are you using baking soda in the water? My son says that helps a lot on the softer woods they use

Imis

Yes. I’ve experimented with different mixtures and found one that works good on hardwoods but still looking for a mixture that will work well on softwood. Would he mind sharing his recipe?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Yes. I’ve experimented with different mixtures and found one that works good on hardwoods but still looking for a mixture that will work well on softwood. Would he mind sharing his recipe?

I will call him later today and ask. I cant imagine that he would have a problem with that.

Imis

Yul   I talked to my son and DIL(she does the burn)and got a lot of information. I will be glad to share by phone, takes too much typing. PM me for my number, also they offered to talk to you if you dont get what you need from me. One thing I learned which may help is they use a Variac transformer between the main transformer and the probes, because it gives more voltage control and another level of safety.

Imis

Oh you kids and your new fangled electricity machines. 

That looks really cool, Yul. Not to mention the fact that I had no idea what fractal burning was and had to look it up.

So there, I can learn something before my third cup of coffee. :lol:

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just wonder how Oak or Ash will do.

You tried mesquite?

OLG 

In this picture the left piece is sugar pine the middle piece is black limba and the right piece is red oak. The definition is much better in the black limba and red oak.

C4CF2D9D-15AC-4B05-A95F-39DF076558E2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

In this picture the left piece is sugar pine the middle piece is black limba and the right piece is red oak. The definition is much better in the black limba and red oak.

C4CF2D9D-15AC-4B05-A95F-39DF076558E2.jpeg

Have you tried sanding the softwood after burning it?  With conventional pyrography, sanding cleans it up and eliminates the fuzzyness.  

1 minute ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Have you tried sanding the softwood after burning it?  With conventional pyrography, sanding cleans it up and eliminates the fuzzyness.  

Not this one but others  I have and I just don’t like the looks compared to burning hardwood. Personal preference I guess.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Not this one but others  I have and I just don’t like the looks compared to burning hardwood. Personal preference I guess.

Nobody here will argue with the outcomes of your personal preference.  When you put it together, the resulting artistry  speaks for itself.  Great work, IMHO.  

24 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Yul, do you have a recommended supplier for cart wheels?
Don't want bicycle spokes or inflated tubes.

Thanks in advance.

I get the Marathon wheels like the ones in the picture from Amazon or Northern Tool, depending on who has the better price. The tires are solid , no tubes.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

16" or 20" ?

I use 20” but they do make a 16” also.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I can see where 20" would roll better.. kinda like those old Fords with the tall skinny tires.

I built one cart with 16” wheels for a guy about 10 years ago and every time I’ve seen the guy after that he’s complained about how much better the other carts roll with the bigger wheels. I tried to tell him when he wanted the smaller wheels when I started the build that he wouldn’t like it and he doesn’t, but he insisted.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:14 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Yul   I talked to my son and DIL(she does the burn)and got a lot of information. I will be glad to share by phone, takes too much typing. PM me for my number, also they offered to talk to you if you dont get what you need from me. One thing I learned which may help is they use a Variac transformer between the main transformer and the probes, because it gives more voltage control and another level of safety.

Imis

Imis, clean out your mail box.

Archived