SASS Wire Forum

Stimulus Colt SAA 38WCF first generation.

Warden Callaway

1848560929_StimulusColt38WCFAApril2020.jpg.40b596f67d6ba33b389e4bee35afc7b1.jpg

1865159359_StimulusColt38WCFBApril2020.jpg.7966e93e7f45dba20547464890717a04.jpg

I spotted this old Colt first generation 38WCF at one of our favorite toy stores back in early April.  But timing was really bad.  I'd just traided and bought two Colt single actions in February. 

But then..  suddenly "found money" became available. 

Numbers match. Screws not buggered. No finish but don't look polished.  Grips are in super good shape and have an unusual cocoa color to them. 

Anyway,  I'm happy to do my part in keeping the economy going. :)

Very Nice Colt.... And in a Great Caliber Too!!!

I ordered a custom made pair of Boots back in January and been wondering how I was gonna Pay for em ever since..... :blink:

Well, looks like Uncle Sam's Stimulus $$ just got spent.... Cuz I got em Today!!!!

Keep them Small Businesses rollin'......... like Boot Makers :FlagAm:

IMG_1290.thumb.jpg.f08c6b01597cddb1c0abdf009b244ecc.jpg

17 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

If that's a standard PU tailgate,  them's some mighty big boots! 

I got mighty big Feet !! 

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

1848560929_StimulusColt38WCFAApril2020.jpg.40b596f67d6ba33b389e4bee35afc7b1.jpg

1865159359_StimulusColt38WCFBApril2020.jpg.7966e93e7f45dba20547464890717a04.jpg

Grips are in super good shape and have an unusual cocoa color to them. 

WC... You may already know this but that brown color is because those are original grips and made out of Gutta Percha.....

They turn that color after after about 100 years or thereabouts..........

You would'nt be willin' to swap that ole wore out Pistol for whats left of my "Stimulus" $$ and a couple a pair of Old Boots.... Would'Cha....

Very nice old Colt.

Have you figured out when it was made? If not send me the serial number and I will look it up.

The hard rubber grips on this 38 WCF Bisley Colt from 1909 have faded quite a bit from their original color. Hardly any finish left on it.

pnqXSFGEj

posWhShLj

22 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Have you figured out when it was made? If not send me the serial number and I will look it up.

1905 by Colt lookup.   Has the cone firing pin and correct checkering on hammer for 1905 also.

Yes,  I'm really pleased with the condition of the grips.  No chips or cracks, fit perfect and very little wear considering. 

I have one that is similar to this one, but that was manufactured later than yours. 

Love the .38 W.C.F. caliber, a real sleeper! Congratulations on a great find.

Ya done great, Pard! 

Enjoy this...it is history, legend, and fun, in an iconic design, all rolled into one. 

I bet your face is tired from all that grinning. 

W.K.

7 minutes ago, Burn Through said:

ok warden hows  she shoot ?? I need to see a video please

Nasty today.  Maybe a range report tomorrow if it clears and warms up.  The front sight is low. Maybe, probably shortened?   It may shoot high?  Someone may have slighted it in for high velocity loads? 

It was down to freezing this morning!   But near 60 now.  I got the old Colt out and made some noise.

850191814_Colt38WCFgroupApril6402020.jpg.37a249e015098254329be1eb13ef74bc.jpg

Using a 6 o'clock hold from 10 steps.  This is with 7gr Unique 180 load.  

I shot video but it'll be a day or two to get it edited. 

I shot video on Saturday of me shooting the old Colt for the first time.  I uploaded the vedio clips to PC to edit.  The computer popped up with a message saying it needed to be rebooted to install updates.  Turned it off.  Turner it back on Sunday morning and all it would do was display the spin cycle. I took the PC into the computer Wizard this morning.  Fortunately,  I still had the video on the camera.   Here is one segment that wouldn't require much editing.  

Yes, I need a haircut.   

This is actually the second attempt.   I had a FTF on first try.  I had installed a spring out of one of the Cimarron Eleminator 8s.  

485434652_PiettaspringSept2018.jpg.4eb81eb53264cdb0a99ec9b20abc221f.jpg

I changed out the spring on the right for spring on left.  I've shot 30 rounds with no more FTF.

Ok!  The young ladies in at our local PC fix-it place got my PC back up and running. There was nothing really wrong with the PC, it was just hung up trying to update Window 10.  She said they had "tons" of them come in with same problem.  Anyway,  it works now and I've glued the video clips together for hopefully a better video.   Wind noise is bad an spots despite using a "dead cat" on microphone. 

Archived