SASS Wire Forum

SASS legal shotgun??

Brandon Mavericks

Yes, but there is very likely a big hunk of steel between the chambers that will be a pain in the butt when loading shells.

511-1-4.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg.ced6d4c749651af6a4d68c31b0b655b0.jpg

It will get you started; just wanted to mention that.

Sure.  Legal for all categories except Classic Cowboy/girl.  So, about 30 of the 32 or so categories it would be legal for.

It's got a long barrel for a Cowboy shotgun (it's 28").  And probably tightly choked, although the listing does not say.  :angry:  Probably fixed chokes of Full and Modified.  Having barrel shortened to 20 to 24" would remove those tight chokes and make it more maneuverable.  Then having action (hinge) smoothed out so the action opens easily, and perhaps opening the breech slightly ("coning" the breech) to make loading faster, and the gun would be quite usable.   If it automatically ejects fired shells, a gunsmith can disable that function so it simply extracts (partially lifts the rim of the shell out of the chamber) (this is to meet the rule that auto ejectors are not allowed on a side-by-side).

You seem to be new to the game, and as we always recommend, go see a match or two before you start buying firearms.  You may already have attended a few (BV - before virus).  But if you buy guns right now, realize that you could buy without knowing well what your needs in the game are.   Before bidding, make sure you have a FFL holder who is open for business now and is willing to do the transfer from an on-line auction site.    This may even be a seller who has no FFL and no intention of shipping from an FFL on his end.   Check those things out before you commit to a transaction at this current time, to avoid major disappointments.

Good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Sure.  Legal for all categories except Classic Cowboy/girl.  So, about 30 of the 32 or so categories it would be legal for.

It's got a long barrel for a Cowboy shotgun (it's 28").  And probably tightly choked, although the listing does not say.  :angry:  Probably fixed chokes of Full and Modified.  Having barrel shortened to 20 to 24" would remove those tight chokes and make it more maneuverable.  Then having action (hinge) smoothed out so the action opens easily, and perhaps opening the breech slightly ("coning" the breech) to make loading faster, and the gun would be quite usable.   If it automatically ejects fired shells, a gunsmith can disable that function so it simply extracts (partially lifts the rim of the shell out of the chamber) (this is to meet the rule that auto ejectors are not allowed on a side-by-side).

You seem to be new to the game, and as we always recommend, go see a match or two before you start buying firearms.  You may already have attended a few (BV - before virus).  But if you buy guns right now, realize that you could buy without knowing well what your needs in the game are.   Before bidding, make sure you have a FFL holder who is open for business now and is willing to do the transfer from an on-line auction site.    This may even be a seller who has no FFL and no intention of shipping from an FFL on his end.   Check those things out before you commit to a transaction at this current time, to avoid major disappointments.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for info.  Auction is not closing until end of May so just asking some questions right now.  Have not bid just watching at moment.  Usually can pickup for decent prices at this auction.  Hopefully will find some local members with some items for sale when time comes.  But, just seeing what is out there that would fit the budget....

Hi Brandon,

That would be a good starter gun if you can get it dirt cheap but the hunk of metal between the barrels will make it hard to load fast and the long barrel will make it easy to open but you'll bump it into everything like doorways, loading table roofs, and windows on the stages. 

If you don't mind those hassles -- get the gun but if you want something hassle-free; invest in a short, slicked up gun made for CAS.  That way you can concentrate on having fun.  

You're going to eventually spend the money on a good gun in the future so get the "good gun" to start off!  :lol:

Nothing beats "hassle-free guns!"

I hope this has helped.

Mo

There is one MAJOR problem with the savage, stevens model 311, 511 and so on.   When the gun is open to load the barrels don't go far enough forward to unload or reload the next rounds.  You have to hold the barrels open to load or unload the shotgun.   If you are just shooting for fun that's fine if you want to be competitive this is very slow.   The overall gun is well made and inexpensive yet not well suited for fast loading or unloading.    Bullett 19707

Maverick, you should check out Longhunter they have SASS ready Stoeger's  and CZ's at a reasonable price then you wouldn't have to pay to do everything that would be needed, might even be a little cheaper in the long run.

Brandon, there will be plenty of opportunities to buy when the Cowtown and ACSA (Ben Avery) shooters start getting together again. Probably more so as they all sit confined at home shopping with stimulus money! 

I know this is a minority opinion, but I think longer barrels with a full choke are better than short with no choke.   My two favorite main match shotguns are a 97 with a 30" full choke barrel, and a 30" Parker with Full/Full.   When I compare these to a 20" no choke 97, I miss a lot less, and the 18" Parker no chokes kicks like a mule.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Steven's sxs shotguns are built like tanks.  I started with a 311.  The locking tab between the barrels will slow many shooters.  The 511 is very difficult to break down (to me).  A Stoeger or Baikal is a good $400 option.

6 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Maverick, you should check out Longhunter they have SASS ready Stoeger's  and CZ's at a reasonable price then you wouldn't have to pay to do everything that would be needed, might even be a little cheaper in the long run.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I started with a Stevens 311. Which is almost identical to the 511. As has been pointed out the locking lug will be a problem. There are was to mitigate the problem but they effectively kill the resale value of the gun. On a stock gun, the action will not stay fully open if you shorten the barrels any. You can put in reduced power hammer springs which will allow the barrels to be shorted to no less than 22 inches. However changing the hammer springs in this design is not for the timid I can assure you from first hand experience that the process of changing the springs will expand your vocabulary. I am retired Navy and I made myself blush. The locking lever spring will also need to be changed to a lighter one and again this is not easy. 

Another issue is getting the action to open far enough to make it easy to reload. This requires a lot of trial and error with a dremil tool and if you mess it up the only fix is a new cocking lever which can only be changed by removing a hammer. As I pointed out earlier this is not for the faint of heart.

Call Long Hunter or look in the merchant corner and buy a ready to go shotgun. Personally I would buy a Baikal or CZ before I would buy a Stoeger. 

In the long run you will save a lot of money and enjoy a more harmonious outcome. 

Two comments, 

Some say the lug extension actually helps guide the shells into the chambers.  Kind of takes a different approach on loading with two shells mashing them over the lug. (And other popular CAS doubles have a lug extension)

The barrels will open and stay open better if left factory length.   Cut them to coach gun length will cause problems unless the action is worked on by someone that knows what he's doing.  Lots of people shoot long barrel shotguns. 

Howdy

I started this sport with a 16 gauge Stevens 311 which is almost the same gun.

Yes, the locking lug between the barrels can be a pain, but I learned to use a shotgun with it long ago.

pmyUhdLMj

I have been shooting this old Stevens hammer gun for many years now. The locking lug between the barrels does not slow me down at all. Of course I am never in a hurry anyway.

po5zXaWFj

Do not cut the barrels down. Those old Stevens shotguns like to close themselves up slightly if the barrels have been shortened. Longer barrels will help keep the action open because there is more weight to overcome the tendency of the springs to close the action.

Generally those shotguns came with a modified choke on the right and a full choke on the left. The idea was the front trigger controls the right barrel, so the first shot would be closer in. If a second shot was needed, sliding your trigger finger back to the rear trigger will fire the left barrel with the tighter choke, because the target is probably farther away at that point.

Here is the link to the old $7 fix for Stevens shotguns. No idea if the parts are still available, or how much they cost now, but I used this on a couple of old Stevens 311 shotguns and it worked to help keep the barrels open.

https://marauder.homestead.com/Stevens311.html

Regarding barrel length, my old hammer double has 24" barrels, somebody cut them down before I bought it. I have no trouble maneuvering around tight quarters with 24" barrels. I used to shoot an old Stevens with 30" barrels, had no trouble maneuvering in tight quarters with it either.

pmAlsQfpj

Archived