SASS Wire Forum

Any Kaiser Senior Advantage members here...? Use CPAP?

I have Kaiser-Permanente's "Senior Advantage" for my Medicare replacement.  Trying to figure out if they cover any part of CPAP supplies costs.  Lady in "Client Services" couldn't figure it out...  

I have Kaiser Senior Advantage and Kaiser pays 100% for my CPAP machine and supplies.  I am somewhat surprised that they couldn't tell you what your coverage was.  Did you try what is called the business office here in Santa Clara County.

No longer have Kaiser but a really good CPAP is relatively inexpensive.

I use the ResMed Air Sense 10 with a built in humidifier (I have 2, one for travel one for home)

Insurance paid for one with a $44 monthly rental for me to pay for 12 months. ($528 to me.) basic machine, humidifier, extra mask, cleaning brush, carry case, extra filters (3), SD card, power unit and plain hose. When I got the reconciliation from the provider my $528 + $1,499 from the insurer total $2,028

I bought the second from CPAP.com for $1025 out of pocket but that included above plus a second humidifier reservoir, blocking plate if I wanted to not use humidifier,  heated hose, 12 volt battery converter, international plug in converter, total of 3 masks, 6 filters, airline medical tags, one year of supplies like additional filters, cleaner for the humidifier and 3 year replacement insurance as well as 2nd day air shipping.

Before when I had Kaiser they were Respironics Remstar units and were 100% covered after an initial rental period (so long ago don't remember what $$$ that was) but I bought one to keep in the truck and they were in the neighborhood of $300 or so without the humidifier system. Not nearly as nice but very functional.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Awrighty, Pay Dirt!  That is encouraging news indeed!  I'll call again tomorrow...  I must've gotten someone new on the phone when I last called.

Down to my last mask - almost ordered one online today, but damn!  Hundred eighty some bucks for a plastic mask??  That's nuts.  Found one on Amazon for something like fifty bucks... some off-brand, with free delivery sometime around mid-June.

Gateway, thanks for the information.  I actually have three machines... it's the "supplies" (mask, hose, filters) that I'm needing.  

Thanks, Guys~!!  

I got an Rx from my Kaiser doctor, but the CPAP hardware the plan covered was junk.

I bought a Respironics model with the water tank and optional heat.
I don't use the heat because the excess humidity fills the mask and gives you a bath when you roll over.
My wife fabricated a wonderful flannel sock for the tube and secured with a zip tie on each end.
This is a vast improvement in comfort with cold nights.

My Respironics is really old, and tired out.
It needs a rebuild because the pressure has dropped.
However, it is still good enough... dunno if rebuild kits are available or not.
It was pricey back then, don't know about now.

16 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

No longer have Kaiser but a really good CPAP is relatively inexpensive.

Relative to what?? :blink:

Got 'er done ~ Thanks again, Pay Dirt!  ^_^

Wasn't painless - it took no fewer than nine calls to Apria and dealing with the most annoying "for this, press that" routine, plus being told four times by a machine that their system was having problems so 'Bye!  But done, for the princely sum of thirty-eight bucks co-pay, with delivery in two to four days.  I'm happy!  

52 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Mebbe a Shiloh '74...?  Them boogers ain't cheap!  :o

Markup on 'em is absurd.

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Got 'er done ~ Thanks again, Pay Dirt!  ^_^

Wasn't painless - it took no fewer than nine calls to Apria and dealing with the most annoying "for this, press that" routine, plus being told four times by a machine that their system was having problems so 'Bye!  But done, for the princely sum of thirty-eight bucks co-pay, with delivery in two to four days.  I'm happy!  

Mebbe a Shiloh '74...?  Them boogers ain't cheap!  :o

Markup on 'em is absurd.

Yeah. Mine was squealing something awful. But Medicare wouldn’t pay for a new on seeing as how it was still putting out positive pressure, therefore according to them, it wasn’t broken. Had to get one out of my own pocket. :angry:

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. Mine was squealing something awful. But Medicare wouldn’t pay for a new on seeing as how it was still putting out positive pressure, therefore according to them, it wasn’t broken. Had to get one out of my own pocket. :angry:

*Ouch!*  :huh:

How old was it?  Medicare will replace at five years.  If it was less than that, jump on their replacement at the original five-year mark and have a backup.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Check out the price on a new miroku Winchester, or  a pair of new vaqueros, or a new Dillon 750. Or just about any long range rifle such as a pedersoli 45-70 or if you have the itch a Shiloh Sharps

None of which are essential for a persons life but a durable piece of medical equipment that will last a long time and improve pretty much all aspects of ones health, relationships and daily activities is (IMHO) a considerably better deal relatively speaking.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Plus, you look so debonair, in your avatar, wearing yours UB.

Oh wait! That's a military gas mask.

If you hit it enough to stop the squealing maybe you will get a new one. 1-800-cpap will sell you a basic machine relatively cheap. Always get a copy of your prescription so you can buy a backup. Makes smacking the squealing one less risky.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:52 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Awrighty, Pay Dirt!  That is encouraging news indeed!  I'll call again tomorrow...  I must've gotten someone new on the phone when I last called.

Down to my last mask - almost ordered one online today, but damn!  Hundred eighty some bucks for a plastic mask??  That's nuts.  Found one on Amazon for something like fifty bucks... some off-brand, with free delivery sometime around mid-June.

Gateway, thanks for the information.  I actually have three machines... it's the "supplies" (mask, hose, filters) that I'm needing.  

Thanks, Guys~!!  

CPAP.com is a good source for hoses and filters.  You need a copy of your prescription to buy a mask though you can buy replacement parts piecemeal.  I gave up on my local storefront supplier.  They refused to sell me anything for cash and insisted on billing everything through an insurance company.

Archived