SASS Wire Forum

Bond Arms Roughneck

Waimea

I've been laying around the house eating bon-bons and my mind wandered off to Bond Arms Roughneck.

So I was wondering if anybody here has bought or actually held one and if so, what did you think of it?

Are the barrels interchangeable to different calibers? Lengths?

Is the hammer spring too tight? I have a cheaper Derringer that takes two people to pull back the hammer. (Only kinda kidding).

Can the trigger guard be removed? It's kinda ugly.

Ok, that's it. Might think of a few questions later but right now I'm feeling sleepy and I have to finish the bon-bons before I take a nap. :lol:

Waimea

I looked at buying one. I personally held three or four different ones. Yes the trigger guard can be removed it looked and felt like a normal bond Derringer. Ended up getting a Texas defender because it was 357. The rough deck did not come in that caliber. I think it would be a great purchase

I bought one in 9mm.  Neat firearm.  Barrels interchange so if you wanted you buy one in 45 ACP - I think I saw one for sale, you could and then swap out the barrel for a 38/357 - might half to go with a longer barrel - but you can swap them out.  I will eventually purchase one in 44WCF - it come in a 3" barrel.

Get your hands ready for a sharp jolt however.  The hammer is plenty stiff, but certainly usable.   Trigger guard is removable.

STL Suomi

I am looking at my Roughneck, compared to one of my original Bonds (8-9 year old).

Roughneck - 9 mm also have 45 acp barrel.

Bond Texas Defender - 45 colt/410

roughneck no extractor on either of the barrels (non rimmed cartridges so just a slot to pull out spent cases)

Bond has an spring loaded extractor on the barrel

sights are both fixed on the barrels

Trigger is solid on the Bond, skeletonized on the roughneck

Hammers are equally hard to pull back (be sure you have someone around to help out, for a small child they are hard enough to qualify as a safety device!)

Trigger guards appear identical although the Bond is polished stainless and the roughneck is not smooth. same for its frame in black cerrakote (I think that is what it is)

Trigger on Bond has been upgraded with springs, both now feel about the same. The Bond when new was more of a pull down to fire and now they both are more of a pull back.

Wood grips on the Bond, nice sticky rubber on the rough neck.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I have the Defender in .38/.357 in a 3" barrel and it shoots great,   Trigger is stiff (which is what I want for safety) but nothing like the cheaper derringers that require a 2-man crew to pull.  Highly recommend buying the extended grip - gives a place for your pinky but doesn't take up much extra room.

Found a Roughneck in 357/38. 
removed trigger guard 

replaced hammer spring with spring for Ruger SP 101. Cut about 3 coils off spring to get it same length as the spring in the Bond. Then added washers until it would reliably pop federal primers. (Took 2). Now has a very easy to cock hammer. Works MOST of the time.  I would not want to rely on it for a personal defense gun, but for a derringer side match I think it will work. 

Archived