SASS Wire Forum

Old Walther P-38

Brandon Mavericks

Back around 1974 my brother in law gave this to my father.  All original with box & papers (dates to about 1970)  Never fired.  Anyway, my dad was not into guns and it sat in his closet until 1998 when my parents moved to Arizona and he sold to my buddy who was into guns for pretty much nothing.  My buddy sent to me a year or so ago.  I never plan on shooting it and have considered letting it go to get my rifle needed for SASS.  But, it’s so clean and original, I keep going back and forth.  Just thought I would show it off and get some others thoughts.  

AD3E2759-6A42-499D-B8B1-49F15959429F.jpeg

I do not find the P-38 at all comfortable to shoot.

I would LOVE to have a P-38.

I would REALLY love to have a P-38 that had been Dad's...!   :blush:

I'd vote for ya to keep it.  :)

You should probably keep it. Having said that if you do desire to sell/trade I might be interested. I live in Arizona City (about 1 1/2 hrs from Avery) and shoot with the folks up there most of the time. Lou Graham knows me as do all the rest of the cowboys at Cowtown and ACSA.

PM me if you are interested and we will find out what it is worth and let me know what you are looking for.

kR

Any gun connected with family is a treasure to hold on to.  I have several that fall into that category.  However, as you said your Dad was never into guns and never fired it.  It wasn't even a "prized possession", it sounds more like that funky vase your great aunt gave you that you push to the back of the shelf and never use.  This is a decision you need to make, but it doesn't sound like there is a lot of emotional attachment to it by either you or your dad.  So, if you can sell it to get a gun you do want to shoot and that you may be able to share with somebody of your own and pass along to at some point in the far future, then it may be the right thing to do. 

Bought one at the post rod & Gun club in Germany in 68. I think it was about $75. Sold it about a year later when I was strapped for cash and getting married.

While the P1s are aluminum framed, that gun is stamped P38.

Hardpan, if:

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I do not find the P-38 at all comfortable to shoot.

Then why:

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I would LOVE to have a P-38.

Those two statements appear to contradict each other.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Hardpan, if:

Then why:

Not at all. I understand completely.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

You should probably keep it. Having said that if you do desire to sell/trade I might be interested. I live in Arizona City (about 1 1/2 hrs from Avery) and shoot with the folks up there most of the time. Lou Graham knows me as do all the rest of the cowboys at Cowtown and ACSA.

PM me if you are interested and we will find out what it is worth and let me know what you are looking for.

kR

It's true, you can trust Kid Rich, he won't steer you wrong.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Hardpan, if:  I do not find the P-38 at all comfortable to shoot.

Then why:   I would LOVE to have a P-38.

It's an appreciation thing - an appreciation of the engineering and design, the craftsmanship... and just because it's not comfortable to shoot, I always enjoyed shooting Hank's P-38.  Plus they're just plumb cool.  ^_^

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Plus they're just plumb cool.  

I agree.

Huh. This seems to be the only pic I have of it. I took my nephew out to play one day. Top right corner.

Eddie trip.jpg

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I agree.

Huh. This seems to be the only pic I have of it. I took my nephew out to play one day. Top right corner.

Eddie trip.jpg

Alpo, you lucky dawg....!   ^_^

Those post-war alloy frames had a problem with cracking, so much so, that they were retro-fitted with a hex crosspin to prevent it. 

P38.jpg

Is uramex the full automatic bb gun, or the semi automatic "pistol" without a stock?

MP40.jpg.55be133aafe8c7b973bc85954e09e6e4.jpg

Don't really matter I guess, since that one is a real one, but I'm curious.

1873795495_Wetwo.jpg.61b2b4423da601bd268c7de76705f5a8.jpg

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

Is uramex the full automatic bb gun, or the semi automatic "pistol" without a stock?

MP40.jpg.55be133aafe8c7b973bc85954e09e6e4.jpg

Don't really matter I guess, since that one is a real one, but I'm curious.

1873795495_Wetwo.jpg.61b2b4423da601bd268c7de76705f5a8.jpg

It's the full auto BB gun with a folding stock.  Umarex Legends MP40.  I just got one and it's a lotta fun.  I need more CO2 though. 

Awesome.  Your real one is full auto too, right? 

On 4/14/2020 at 4:55 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Bought one at the post rod & Gun club in Germany in 68. I think it was about $75. Sold it about a year later when I was strapped for cash and getting married.

well Utah Bob, THE QUESTION—Are you happy that you traded a gun for a wife?

I think I already know the answer!

i bought one of these in that 67-68 time frame , i never really could shoot it well , i was fond of its mechanics  but ive only ever thought of shooting what i keep , sold it in the 80s , think i bought a depth finder for my boat with the funds , never looked back , that said - if there is an attachment to your father or friend it might be worth keeping for that reason ,

P38 is a bucket list gun. Keep it you can never replace it.

As a kid, I learned on both my Dad's P38 and his 1911.
Today, I have neither, as they both went "somewhere else" when his wife disposed of his guns and tools.

Archived