SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 ejector springs

Philosopher

I'm working on bringing a nice old 12 gauge Winchester 1897 trap gun back on line. It currently extracts an empty shell, but then fails to eject it. I've traced the problem to an ejector spring that has its' end sheared off.

I've found a few sellers of replacement springs online but at a pretty wide range of prices. Is there more than one manufacturer of these springs? If so, who makes and sells the better spring?

Thanks for any help.

Numrich Gun Parts, I have had good luck with them over the years, used them in many guns. Yes the Smith shop makes a heavy duty one a little pricey, they are Great people to do business with. I have one but have yet to put it in as the other ones are still working, If it's not broke don't fixes it.

Good luck.

Rob 

PS  You should get two or three, put one in the gun and one in your cart, you can make your self or a Pard happy at the range when you fix there gun.

Just a warning, many times the standard spring is made to be a little wider that needed so it can be adjusted. 

The spring should set in the slot and have just enough room to move.

Most times for me, the new spring will not fit in there so the first time or two and I've broken the new spring.  So all it takes is a little experimenting by putting the spring tip into the bolt.  And then with a file or stone take a little off the top and or bottom to be sure it fits.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought two from the Cowboy and Indians Store. Arrived in just a few days. Installed without issue in my model 1897 trap gun.

Made it out to the range for a test fire and everything works great!

Thanks all!

Maker Wright has a great video on extractors and ejectors on utube      GW

Archived