SASS Wire Forum

Hey, Winchester experts. Is this a myth?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

It seems like at least once a week, I hear yet another story about someone who (or their grandpa) owned a minute-of-angle shooting Winchester with a HEXAGONAL barrel.

I have never seen a rifle with a hexagonal barrel, so I ask if they actually had an octagonal barrel.  Almost every one said, "No, it was hexagonal."

Were there ever six-sided rifle barrels?

Much obliged,

Mustang

Probaly  cant read a tape measure either      GW

It's one (or more) of the very rare 8 sided hexagonal barreled Winchesters.

Or maybe half octagonal and half hexagonal barrels (but they forgot to change the cut on the last half).:lol:

interesting , ive never heard of such save for folks that could not count or heard a word and retained it [albiet wrong] in construction there are a lot of wrong words out there that seem to survive the years and still be wrong , colume for column , piliaster for pilaster , masonary for masonry , could be something like that maybe ? im just throwing it out for the mistakes that take hold and become "legend" or 'common use' or worse yet  actually get accepted as normal , you can correct but you cant fix , 

OK, just to be sure I checked my copy of The WInchester Handbook by George Madis.

For the models 1866 through 1894, only round barrels, octagon barrels, or part round part octagon are mentioned.

No mention of hexagons.

Kind of like guys who don't know the difference between a spiral and a helix.

Right now there is an outspoken guy (a former neighbor) on Facebook telling about his magnificent 1896 Winchester hexagon barrelled rifle.

It's about all I can do not to dump all over his bullcrap stories anyway.

He also brags about being a Marine "sharpshooter".

I guess that's better than qualifying "expert" to him.

Thanks for the replies, Pards.

MG

13 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

It's one (or more) of the very rare 8 sided hexagonal barreled Winchesters.

Or maybe half octagonal and half hexagonal barrels (but they forgot to change the cut on the last half).:lol:

Part round but not half round

17 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I found this listed as a Marlin 1893 .30-.30 with a Hexagon barrel https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7071959  I'm not really sure about the barrel from the pictures.

Well, it does have six sides (plus two more). (pics from the link).

image.png.16aa47c2ca6f7360536277d7816a571e.png

34 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I found this listed as a Marlin 1893 .30-.30 with a Hexagon barrel https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7071959  I'm not really sure about the barrel from the pictures.

Clearly an octagonal barrel. Just another idiot who can't count to eight.

Hexagon:

image.png.a44bf75ffae5c5547e27c45eb7084e58.png

Octagon:

image.jpeg

Octagon:

image.jpeg.1c26979a12286bd7114278cb3ce08c43.jpeg

It's actually al old standard method for going to a lower caliber rifle barrel.  The key is to understand lines versus points.

The gun once was a much larger caliber, but changed it to a smaller caliber by lowering the top so that the two outer side are reduced to a point. 

I believe one of Rosie O' Donnell's ancestors used to lay on the barrels to make  this conversion.

Very common according to many sources.  :D:D:D

"........Kinda like albiet for albeit :)......." 

spell check obviously failed to correct what ive always had issues with , least it wont become accepted .....i hope , 

that is a nice looking volley gun , wonder how that feels when you pull the trigger , 

13 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Right now there is an outspoken guy (a former neighbor) on Facebook telling about his magnificent 1896 Winchester hexagon barrelled rifle.............

Thanks for the replies, Pards.

MG

Tell this guy to post a picture of the Tip of the Barrel.

Some of our hands had seen everything and were glad to recount their tales on Saturday nights!!!  :P  Hexagon barrels probably were discussed along with .30-30s that could shoot the pinecones off trees at 500 yards.

In vino veritas!!! :lol: When we "automated", my Mom burned down the bunkhouse. Entymologists all over the world were devastated.  :D

23 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

With lever guns, Minute of Angle means 1 inch groups at 25 yards. 

Now there's a MYTH!

6 hours ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Tell this guy to post a picture of the Tip of the Barrel.

That's a great idea, Sawhorse!!

I will start a war with him and his nephew is a shooting friend of mine.  So I best shut up.

50 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have it on good authority that Jim Bowie had one of those at the Alamo.

And I also believe that the Pony Express issued them to their young riders.

I seriously doubt the pony Express issues those to riders.  Way to much weight to be carrying on horseback.

21 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Right now there is an outspoken guy (a former neighbor) on Facebook telling about his magnificent 1896 Winchester hexagon barrelled rifle.

Somehow get word to him that the "1896 Hexagon Winchester" is extremely rare and he might be sitting on tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of dollars! He should get it to a reputable auction house and let them sell it for him.

(Also, if he does any of this, find out a way to get his reaction when all of the parties involved tell him what he really has and its' value. And, let us know. <_<)

Archived