SASS Wire Forum

OT - TIme to brag a bit

Howdy:

Second grandson completed his Infantry Officer's Basic Course at Ft Benning  on APR 3.  Graduated #2 in platoon, top 10% in company.  Pretty good I think.  They shut down the jump school so he fiddled around til today.  Off the Ranger School for 62 weeks of fun in sun.  He is very excited, like his father, he has had this dream since he was five.  Must be a genetic flaw, five generations of folks wanting to be bullet sponges.  I am, of course, quite proud, Pardon me for being so.

WARNING:  He is a brand New 2LT - I don't know when they will give him a map - so beware.!! :-)

STL Suomi

Congratulations! Tell that young man "well done"

Extend my thanks to your Grandson, for his service. :FlagAm:

SALUTE!!   Look for the best NCO in your first command and make him your friend.  {Friend =Cooperative working relationship}

23 hours ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Howdy:

Second grandson completed his Infantry Officer's Basic Course at Ft Benning  on APR 3.  Graduated #2 in platoon, top 10% in company.  Pretty good I think.  They shut down the jump school so he fiddled around til today.  Off the Ranger School for 62 weeks of fun in sun.  He is very excited, like his father, he has had this dream since he was five.  Must be a genetic flaw, five generations of folks wanting to be bullet sponges.  I am, of course, quite proud, Pardon me for being so.

WARNING:  He is a brand New 2LT - I don't know when they will give him a map - so beware.!! :-)

STL Suomi

Hey pard, Ranger school is only 8 weeks long.  I think it would be physically impossible to stay alive for 62 weeks of that!

3 hours ago, Noz said:

SALUTE!!   Look for the best NCO in your first command and make him your friend.  {Friend =Cooperative working relationship}

This advice is beaten in to cadets (soon-to-be-officers) and 2LTs more than I can even recall.  That said, my first platoon sergeant as a 2LT was an absolute worthless dreg.  Fortunately I had been enlisted for a few years, so I knew what right looked like, even if I didn't have the expertise of a senior NCO.  So I got rid of him by sending him to hand out towels at the gym and appointed someone else.

3 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Hey pard, Ranger school is only 8 weeks long.  I think it would be physically impossible to stay alive for 62 weeks of that!

Right you are - 62 weeks is a LONG time - 65 days sounds much better - however, they added two weeks at the front end for quarantine time. Bummer.  Maybe I was thinking about how long it felt like :-)

STL Suomi

Archived