SASS Wire Forum

An informal poll for a personal purchase idea.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I am going to soon purchase a Mares Leg pistol.   I would like opinions on the following as to what is the best "option" for me.

1.  .44 magnum   That way it will match the caliber of my 92 rifle with the John Wayne loop lever that I will most likely shoot it with.

2.  .45 Colt.  If I ever can find myself an AWA Lighting Bolt (essentially a Mares Leg version of the Col Lightning) both weird pistols will be in the same caliber.  Granted, finding one of these will be exceedingly difficult based on where I live and their extreme scarcity to begin with.

3.  Who cares?   Just have fun.

Option 5, the one which you want.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Option 4 - Both 

^ This is always my first option when available.

That being said, I usually make these decisions based on what the gun will be used for.  The cartridge should fit the task. 

Just now, Ramblin Gambler said:

44 mag for now.  If you ever find the AWA, then you just have to buy more 45 colt firearms to pair it with. 

I am assuming based on context that the AWA was only made in 45 colt. 

I like spending other people's money. 

As far as I know, they were in .44-40, and .45 Colt.   No .44 Special and definately not Magnum.   But as far as I can determine, the .45's were the most common for a gun that was rare to being with.   

9 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

As far as I know, they were in .44-40, and .45 Colt.   No .44 Special and definately not Magnum.   But as far as I can determine, the .45's were the most common for a gun that was rare to being with.   

Well, that's a good reason not to go with 45 colt now.  You never know, you might wind up with a 44-40 version of the bolt. 

Unless you just want an excuse to buy 45 colt stuff.  Nothing wrong with that either. 

Perhaps a little clarification in is order.

If I get the Mares Leg in .44 Magnum, it'll be in the same caliber as a 17.5" big loop 92.   I can pair the pistol with one of two Colt Clones I have in the same caliber.

If I were to get the Mares Leg in .45 Colt, it could theoretically pair with a Lightning Bolt in the same caliber, but the odds of me finding one are remote.   However, I have a plethora of revolvers that I could pair it with, as well as rifles that are all in the same caliber, including my favorite Main Match Rifle, which happens to be a Lightning.

Similarly, if I get it in .44-40, there is still the possibility of pairing it with a Lightning Bolt, however extremely rare, but again I have a handful of nice pistols and rifles to complete the battery, including a Buntline Special and another Lightning.

When all is said and done, I'll be using a Chiappa Mares Leg 87 for the shotgun.   The point of all of this is for me to have the absolutely most ridiculous batter I can think of, just for sheer fun and, I'll say it, idiocy of having it.   The pairing with the Lightning Bolt is SO remote of a possibility that this is why I am leaning to the .44 Magnum so I can pair it with the 92 mentioned above.  That said, I know there is no rule that says you have to use the same caliber in everything, and in the past I have used three guns in three different calibers.  But part of me can't help but think that some day a friend I drag to the range is gonna wanna use these things, and I don't wanna confuse a newbie with different calibers, especially say .44 Magnum and .45 Colt, which at a quick glance could be confused for each other.  That being said, that's the whole thinking behind it all.  Remember, this is pure silliness on my part.   I know it's impractical, but as Daffy Duck once said, "What the hey, I gotta have some fun."

I've never seen a hearse towing a trailer...  so do what best scratches your itch.

I never had any intention of dipping into 44 magnums,  but I'm a sucker for Bisley grips, and two Vaqueros came along new in the box...
That sacrifice required an additional sacrifice for a Uberti 1873 also in 44 magnum.. just because it matches.

I'm also real simple, and want to reload for as few calibers as I can.

9 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm also real simple, and want to reload for as few calibers as I can.

What a novel concept.   I think that except for .38-40 and .44 Russian, I reload for just about every conceivable SASS type caliber from .32 S&W to 56-50 Spencer.   Kinda happened by accident over time.   This game is dangerous!  

Archived