SASS Wire Forum

FREE ALIAS

Utah Bob #35998

Bored to tears, I was reduced to channel surfing and watched a rerun of last years The Masters golf thing. Now I don't do golf but I know the basics. Saw some guy, I think his name was Marinara or Macarena or some such. He was runnin neck and neck with that Tiger fella (who I thought was kilt by his wife). Anyway the ball and it hits the green and takes a long roundabout trip one way and then t'other and finally stops pretty close to the hole. "That's a pretty dang curvy green", I says to Brinkley the dog who was sitting on the bed with me hoping for a treat. "Mrf"' he said, unimpressed.

So there ya go any golf fanciers.

Curvy Green add an "e" if you wanna be fancy.

You're welcome

I golfed once...1962 it was I believe...lost all hope of ever doing anything like that again. Spent a few years collecting lost balls along the 7th, 8th, 9th,Holes and a creek that had some magnetic attraction to them. I'd find them, and use the scrubby thingy to clean and sell them to golfers for 20 cents to a 25 cents each,depending on condition. Once I was in the banks of the creek 20 feet down from the Fairway and a Ball comes whizzing by. I run and pick it up and go up and clean it and offered it to the golfers. One guy says "Hey that's my Ball. Brand New too, I said 50 cents. He said no, I want it back. I turned and threw it in the Creek and said GO GET IT!!!  A$$bite.

Big Jake

So you were out on the golf course, and a golfer shanked one out into the rough, and you go over and pick it up and try to sell him his own golf ball, and when he declined to buy his own property back you threw it in the creek.

Have I got that right?

Do you go to a match and take a gun off a cart and try to sell it back to the man that owns it? Maybe go to a bowling alley and grab the ball as it comes out of the return and try to sell it back to the bowler?

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

So you were out on the golf course, and a golfer shanked one out into the rough, and you go over and pick it up and try to sell him his own golf ball, and when he declined to buy his own property back you threw it in the creek.

Have I got that right?

Do you go to a match and take a gun off a cart and try to sell it back to the man that owns it? Maybe go to a bowling alley and grab the ball as it comes out of the return and try to sell it back to the bowler?

No, but if a guy was dumb enough to throw his shotgun in the creek, and I pulled it out and cleaned it, you can bet your bippy I'd want to be paid for it.  :lol:

LL

I chased salmon in small creeks in Michigan with a golf club as a kid. Very effective and great fun! I loved golf! Man was my uncle Dave pissed at my cousin and I. 

Pissed Uncle

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

I saw it as him putting the ball back where he found it.  Aint the rules of golf that you have to play it where it from where it lands?  He messed up when he touched it in the first place, but he tried to make things right. 

20 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

Once I was in the banks of the creek 20 feet down from the Fairway and a Ball comes whizzing by. I run and pick it up and go up and clean it and offered it to the golfers.

You notice he does not say the ball went into the creek and he got it out of the water. He picked it up off the bank. Where it was still in play.

Be like running out of the stands to snatch up the ball that the first baseman missed.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

You notice he does not say the ball went into the creek and he got it out of the water. He picked it up off the bank. Where it was still in play.

Be like running out of the stands to snatch up the ball that the first baseman missed.

Alpo,  you're making it seem what it's not. We were 13-14 year old kids out on a Saturday having fun. We lived 6 blocks from the Golf course (9 holes) and the last 3 were along a big creek with tons of trees along the top and some down a bit. 60 feet across from top bank  to top bank and at least 20-25 feet deep down 45 degrees slope. First time in the Creek we found over 100 Golf balls. most were on the steep banks under tons of IVY and ground cover. You had to look under each leaf and it wasn't easy. A few were in the creek about 6 feet across and a foot deep, Very muddy. 

We never ever saw 1 golfer ever go down and look for or play a ball. they would just walk to where to ball left the fairway and drop a ball, take a stroke and continue.  We sold the Golf balls for 20-25 cents unless it was like new. Just making enough money for a burger/fries/coke at the Pronto Pup in Willow Glen or the Frost Top. maybe if we felt flush, we would buy a comic book or play a couple of games of Pinball. 

All the Golfers were very glad we sold them lost balls and even their own back because they would never go down and get them. It was 1964 and times were different, they knew were kids trying to have fun and provide a service no one wanted. I could mow a lawn for a buck, wash a car for a buck and wash all windows on your house for a buck. This was more fun and less like work. So Alpo your guns are safe and your bowling balls are safe, I won't steal them and try to sell them to you. Baseballs are safe too, I don't go to them here in Anaheim Stadium.  Now go sit with your feet up and cool your jets about my rowdy childhood.  just sayin'

OH, by the way Alpo, by the time I found his ball, crawled up the steep bank, used the scrubby thingy and caught up to them on the 8th TEE. They were already finished with the 7th hole and teeing off again. maybe 15 minutes after the ball went whizzing by. 4 guys and I didn't know who's ball it was. Turns out it was some CheapA$$ guy who wanted me to give it to him for nothing. I threw it to show him how much 50 cents meant to me. Lots more Golfers, lots more balls every Saturday.

Big (what's ain't a Thief) Jake #1001

• 4 weeks later...

Archived