SASS Wire Forum

So . . . . can they do it? Legally?

Lawdog Dago Dom

Working in the government's favor is the fact that challenging these rules requires access to the civil courts which are moving slowly at this time and in the best of time is would take months to get a ruling.  By the time a challenge is presented and ruled upon, we'll be well into our next "disaster"

Anybody who has ever been the plaintiff in a lawsuit understands that justice is very, very expensive, and very time consuming.
Every time you take a breath, your lawyer has his hand out for another $5,000 retainer check.

All the defendant has to do, is sit down, and let you drag him through court.
The plaintiff has to have much resolve and seriously deep pockets to take somebody to court.
When the defendant has the endless deep pockets of the gov't, the plaintiff is in for a very rough and expensive ride.

bgavin and J Mark are right.

There are cases that have birthdays. Sometimes more than one.

When you are talking to an attorney, the meter is running.

Probably second to a civil rights case in cost, would be a custody battle.

Knew a guy who's ex moved 300 miles away. Just for spite.

He had his hometown attorney suggest an attorney in the new jurisdiction.

Old attorney and new attorney had a phone call to discuss his case.

He was billed by BOTH for the phone call.

He did get the kids after spending big bucks.

But that phone call billing still makes him mad, after almost 20 years.

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Working in the government's favor is the fact that challenging these rules requires access to the civil courts which are moving slowly at this time and in the best of time is would take months to get a ruling.  By the time a challenge is presented and ruled upon, we'll be well into our next "disaster"

Unfortunately this is very true

Lawdog... yep.
Been there, done that, more than a few times.
When I was an engineer at IBM, we have employees whose entire career was working on the Consent Decree.

"The only winning move is to not play"
-Joshua, War Games, 1983

21 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howd

type all the numbers you want but my favorite mex restaurant is still closed.

rotsaruck.

CR

is it weird that I have no energy to put that tang sight on the marlin?

I got a great deal and the marlin is right over there...….

But I got my taxes done and a little bitty bit o cash wandering my way.....

How many days can you live without Mexican food?

2 minutes ago, Sawyer said:

My favorite Mex place is open, but all they have is TOGO and I hesitate to try new dishes.

TOGO doesn't mean what you think :D

Since this is a rather unusual circumstance,  it would seem desirable for SCOTUS to provide a general comment or two about whether or not Constitutional rights can (still?) be suspended by elected officials during this kind of emergency (or whatever this is).  Something on the order of, “You dumb b————ds do not have the authority to make or attempt to enforce these orders” would be my choice.  It would save a lot of time, expense, and wrangling to hear a hypothetical decision to a hypothetical suit.

I know, SCOTUS doesn’t operate that way, but I wish they would consider an exception to normal operation.  I mean gee whiz everyone else is having to make exceptions to normal operations.

Here is a good idea! 

Let's put everyone on house arrest!

What? They are already doing that? 

Well I'll be darned............... Who died and made who King?

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Since this is a rather unusual circumstance,  it would seem desirable for SCOTUS to provide a general comment or two about whether or not Constitutional rights can (still?) be suspended by elected officials during this kind of emergency (or whatever this is).  Something on the order of, “You dumb b————ds do not have the authority to make or attempt to enforce these orders” would be my choice.  It would save a lot of time, expense, and wrangling to hear a hypothetical decision to a hypothetical suit.

I know, SCOTUS doesn’t operate that way, but I wish they would consider an exception to normal operation.  I mean gee whiz everyone else is having to make exceptions to normal operations.

I like the idea, but maybe that should originate with Bill Barr and his staff.

Just my 2 cents

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

TOGO doesn't mean what you think :D

This year Cinco de Mayo falls on Taco Tuesday.

And your TOGO is sponsored by Corona!:D

3 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I like the idea, but maybe that should originate with Bill Barr and his staff.

Just my 2 cents

Feel free to forward my idea to him.

:)

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Feel free to forward my idea to him.

:)

Will do! Usually shoot together twice a month. Just some basic stages.

He likes the Bernie Sweep. You shoot the stage and they give your score to the guy that hasn't shot it.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Dang Matthew, 

I don’t know whether to like that or not!

:o

It could be close to the truth, our State Supreme Court just amended there emergency pandemic order to continue cases out until at least June 1 for some and July 1 for others.  I had to revise our order to match it and leave instructions for my clerk to make the necessary notifications.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:57 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

And that is exactly the right way to do it.  Allow people to make choices in their own best interest, not being ordered by the government.  

It disturbs me a bit that you said you don’t care if the orders are legal or not.  The Constitution and due process are important to follow in tough times, IMO, but we may have to agree to disagree on that point.

well put and what i was thinking as well , everyone is responsible for themselves and need to make their own decisions regarding their health , but our governing bodies are responsible to all of us to do things correctly within the law - we do not have dictators in this country , we are free people , 

the "good intentions" can be debated but assuming they were the motivation there is no justification for ruining the economy and so many lives in this irresponsible way , that is what communists do  

Archived