SASS Wire Forum

CLASSIC COWBOY SHOWDOWN 2020 (NEW VENUE)***UPDATE 10/3/20***

Major Art Tillery

****THE ORIGINAL VENUE WITH THE FORT DES MOINES RANGERS, IN IOWA, HAD TO BE CHANGED DUE TO A DATE CHANGE BECAUSE OF THE CURRENT COVID-19 CRISIS.   WE ARE LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A GREAT CLUB HERE IN KANSAS, THE FREE STATE RANGERS, LET US JOIN IN ON THEIR ANNUAL MATCH FOR THE YEAR****

CLASSIC COWBOY SHOWDOWN 2020

ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH?

I am once again throwing down a challenge to all the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shooters for 2020!!   That is right,  a challenge has been issued for you take on the challenge of the Classic Cowboy Showdown!  Do you Accept?  Below is where you can find more info for this great match!

***NEW VENUE***

"BORDER WARS"

OCTOBER 16th - 18th, 2020

FREE STATE RANGERS

Parker, KS

https://freestaterangers.com

ENTRY:  

https://freestaterangers.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/border-wars-2020.pdf

The Showdown is something I started in 2017.  I wanted to get a big group of classic shooters together for a great match, so I put up a custom buckle for the top Classic Shooter!  In 2017 we had a group of about 7-8 classic.... followed by a few more in 2018... but in 2019 we had about 23 CLASSICS!!  So this thing is really taking off! 

So once again I am putting up an amazing buckle for the top Classic Shooter! ***We now have a buckle up for grabs for the top classic Black Powder shooter too!*** I would even put up a buckle for the Classic Cowgirls as well if we can get a few signed up!  Again this year, with some help from fellow shooters, we will also have some amazing 2" custom Conchos for several placements as well!

The Classic Category is, in my mind, the greatest category in SASS!  To shoot this category you have to be willing to not only dress the part, but also shoot the bigger caliber firearms!   So I urge you.. sign up for the Showdown in 2020 and come hang out with the greatest bunch of folks in SASS in.  Please help spread the word and keep checking back as many things will be added to this post.

I would like to do several things this year for the showdown.... including:

-  Classic Dinner ?

-  Speed Duelist and Hammered Side match ?

If you have any suggestions please feel free to contact me.

Plan to attend, let me know and will add name to the list!

WHO'S COMING LIST:

Major Art Tillery (KS) * BP*

Pony Soldier (OK)

3 Shot Shamrock (MO)

Boss Shamrock (MO) * BP *

Asa Smith (KS) * BP *

Wymore Wrangler (NE)

Bulldog Brown (KS)

Pit Mule (IA)

High Plains Hud (KS)

Kansas Reb (KS)

Dantankerous (KS) * BP *

Sam McNeely (MO)

Jonny Gringo (KS)

Sasparilla Groz (KS)

Doc Dag (MO) * BP *

Abilene Slim (KS)

The Verdigris Kid (KS) * BP *

Shady Willie Brown (KS)

Lucky Drover Mo (MO)

Mo No Name (MO)

Mt. Zion Yellowboy (SC)

Cowtown Scout (TX) * BP *

Long Ranger (MO)

Star Shooter (NE)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Which annual match? Spring Roundup (is this match still on?) or Border Wars in the fall? Dates?

Sorry hit wrong button and it posted before I was done editing it.  Border Wars In the fall October 16th - 18th.  

I had that weekend scheduled off at work already so it works out great.  I hope you can make it, may be a busy month for matches!  Think I may even shoot the Henry!

Hello Major

Count me in!!!

I plan on shooting it slow and with black!

My being there will probably scare off Hud and Abilene though...

:rolleyes:

Asa

Cornbread, are you man enough to shoot Classic?

Who else can I insult...:unsure:

22 minutes ago, Asa Smith said:

Hello Major

Count me in!!!

I plan on shooting it with black and slow!

My being there will probably scare off Hud and Abilene though...

:rolleyes:

Asa

Cornbread, are you man enough to shoot Classic?

Great!!!  I bet they are scared! :lol:

It will be good to see ya.

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Can you change the font in your new venue note, its hard to read? I'll have to check out those dates.

Got it changed... That script was a little harder to read.   Hope you can make it... Bonus is new venue should be less of a drive.  Neat range out in the trees... The folks that put it on do a good job.  

4 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

Major, can you give us a link to Lodging in the area, in the past years ago it was pretty sparse...

Dont mean to step on the Major's toes, but here is some info.  NCOWS will be holding their National Championships at the Free State Rangers in August, and on their page they have a list of hotels.  See, http://www.ncowsnationals.com/2020_Lodging.html  For more selection you might also look at Olathe, Kansas, about a 40 minute drive to the north.  They have a number of hotels at differing levels. See,https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=olathe+kansas+hotels

On 4/21/2020 at 1:15 AM, Parson Remington said:

Dont mean to step on the Major's toes, but here is some info.  NCOWS will be holding their National Championships at the Free State Rangers in August, and on their page they have a list of hotels.  See, http://www.ncowsnationals.com/2020_Lodging.html  For more selection you might also look at Olathe, Kansas, about a 40 minute drive to the north.  They have a number of hotels at differing levels. See,https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q=olathe+kansas+hotels

Thank you for providing that list, I appreciate it.  If you are wanting to attend this great match, and need a room you may want to chexk on them now.  

Hope to see you all at Border Wars!

3 hours ago, Bulldog Brown said:

Link to sigh-me-up-sheets please Uncle Bulldog

I believe they are still working on getting it ready.  As soon as they do I will get it poated.  Ya shoot'n classic for the match Uncle Bulldog?

So planning on having a classic Cowboy side match stage.   What do you all think of this?

Must be shooting Classic Cowboy /Cowgirl and meet the needed criteria.

Side matches incude:

Fastest Stage

Fastest Duelist/Double Duelist

Fastest Hammered

Fastest 87

Fastest Rifle

Fastest 1860 Henry

I think this would be a hoot!!!

Let me know your thoughts.

Major,

Great idea!

Will be a most excellent time!

:D

20 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Major,

Great idea!

Will be a most excellent time!

:D

I sure hope so! 

Ya better make the trip... Just would not be right, not having you there to whooop up on!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you still planning on offering a FCCC award for those who want to shoot in the SDCC? (Super Duper Classic Cowboy)

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Are you still planning on offering a FCCC award for those who want to shoot in the SDCC? (Super Duper Classic Cowboy)

Yeah there is a buckle up for BLACK POWDER classic Shooter... Thanks to another fine Classic!  Should be a picture in an above post.

• 2 weeks later...

The Classic Cowboy / Cowgirl  Showdown has another great Donation this year!  Someone shooting Classic will get this great Loading Block made by another shooter just for this event!  Thank you for your support!

PSX_20200607_132319.thumb.jpg.96454578c179b6dce8fab3eab5e71f3e.jpg

4 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

I just went to the Free Stage Rangers website, nothing on there for Border Wars 2020!!!!

They will have the entries up once their Spring Round-Up shoot is finished.  Confuses lots of folks when they have both available.  I will post a link as soon as it is available!  Glad your coming to play Classis Pard!

Major ,Tried to find the info on Border Wars.Would like to get an Entry to see if can make it.

Largo

Here's a couple suggestions for motels. There are also motels in Osowatomie, about a 30 minute drive from the range.

GARNETT HOTEL & RV PARK
109 Prairie Plaza Pkwy, Garnett, KS 66032

(785) 448-6800

Economy Inn

604 N Maple St, Garnett, KS 66032
(785) 448-6816

Spring Roundup was this last weekend, it was a great shoot. Info on Border Wars should be up on the Free State Rangers web site soon.

Irish Tom.

1 hour ago, Irish Tom said:

Here's a couple suggestions for motels. There are also motels in Osowatomie, about a 30 minute drive from the range.

GARNETT HOTEL & RV PARK
109 Prairie Plaza Pkwy, Garnett, KS 66032

(785) 448-6800

Economy Inn

604 N Maple St, Garnett, KS 66032
(785) 448-6816

Spring Roundup was this last weekend, it was a great shoot. Info on Border Wars should be up on the Free State Rangers web site soon.

Irish Tom.

I plan on going I think we can all stay with Irish Tom what do you say ol buddy

12 minutes ago, Wild lead said:

I plan on going I think we can all stay with Irish Tom what do you say ol buddy

Uh, who are you? Never heard of you.:D

Archived