SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 Disassembly / Reassemble Video

Hands

This youtube video appears to have been recently posted (as in yesterday) and is about the best I have come across. It is basically a tear down and put back together step-by-step instruction that would pretty much allow anyone to take it down to the last part. Good for cleaning or parts replacing, but not for tuning or diagnosing problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaR2SUo6dvg

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The solid frame version is a different procedure.

JMB did love puzzles :lol:

OLG 

AMEN B)

Be careful following the removal of parts in this video as there are a couple of errors that could cost you an expensive take down adjusting sleeve if you try using some force to remove it. Also, it doesn't show how to adjust it so it fits back onto the receiver. 

Watch the removal of the adjusting sleeve, it is removed before the lock and screw are removed. Someone not familiar with the correct way to remove it, which is to remove the screw and lock first, may attempt to put a wrench on the sleeve and attempt to remove it.

Another point, when it shows the re assembly the bolt and carrier are installed in the receiver before the trigger guard is installed. Normally the trigger guard is assembled and installed before the carrier. Eliminates the sear from sticking/hitting on the trigger.

Also, when removing the hammer from the carrier, it shows the hammer pin being removed from the right side of the carrier and out thru the left side. I would pay $ to watch someone accomplish that. The correct way is to raise the shell flag so the hammer pin has room to come out, lay the carrier on it's right side and use small punch from left side to punch it out the right side.

Other than that, I agree that is a good video. 

Good comments from OG. I have purchased parts from him and he has been helpful on the phone with technical info as I try to keep nearly a dozen '97's up and running. He has likely forgotten more about a '97 than I will ever know. And OLG correctly notes that a solid frame model is an entirely different critter. JCM has added a much more detailed and in-depth source of information that is available to purchase. Many thanks!

As noted in the OP, the gist of the short video is simply the basic disassembly and reassembly of a Winchester 1897 shotgun. It does not attempt to cover the variety of take-down models produced, adjusting, tweaking, repairing etc. My method follows OG's advice and technique. Perhaps his expertise should have been consulted before final production! So bearing in mind that there is way more to know and understand about one of

J Browning's puzzles, realize that the suggested video is most likely intended as a very basic instructional and understanding piece that is kind of fun to watch and hopefully helps someone. Your milage may vary~!

On 4/12/2020 at 11:19 AM, Sandhills Dude said:

Great video just acquired a 97 in 16 guage looking for load  data now

A 16 ga in an 1897 typically comes with a 2 9/16 chamber, it's worth checking. App SN below 500,000. A roll crimped 2 9/16 is nearly the same for loading as a 2 3/4 fold crimp. Best powder seems to be in the Unique or Universal range. 

The roll crimper I bought from Russia didn't work for me so I deep sixed the project. Not really the crimpers fault, the "brass" base just turns on the hull body, can't crimp if it doesn't go round and round.

I found the video by Maker Wright to be excellent. It is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=maker-wright+1897+shotgun+disassembly There are three of them. I shoot with Maker Wright and find his use and knowledge to be outstanding. He is a big fan of the 97.

Archived