SASS Wire Forum

Lost my Best Friend

We lost our beloved Boston Terrier, Gus, on Tuesday.

Gus was 15 years old, and he gave us a great deal of joy over all those years.

We decided we needed a dog after dog sitting for a couple of pugs for a week. Mrs. Johnson wanted to get a pug, but my Dad had just passed away, and Dad had a Boston Terrier when he was a boy. So getting a Boston was a way to connect with my Dad. It turns out Mrs. Johnson's Dad had a Boston as a boy too.

We got him as a 3 month old puppy in March of 2005. I named him Augustus McCrae after the Robert Duvall character in Lonesome Dove. Gus was a small dog, he never weighed much more than 20 pounds or so. I figured a small guy like him needed a big name, and the Duvall Gus McCrae was a feisty character.

Of course he was just Gus to us. I usually called him Sweetie when we went out on our walks. Our walks were often a half mile out and a half mile back again. Walking Gus was never much exercise for me because he would stop and smell his Pee-mail at every bush.

Mrs. Johnson took him to the dog park regularly when he was young and he loved to run. He would chase all the other bigger dogs. He was so fast one of the other dog owners took to calling him Bullet. Being a feisty character, Boston Terriers are like that, he got himself in trouble a few times with bigger dogs. Like most terriers, he thought he was bigger than he actually was.

Gus was well traveled, Mrs. Johnson took him with her every time she went to visit her Uncle Bob in Rochester NY. Uncle Bob loved to see Gus, and the other residents of the rest home where Bob lived loved to see him too.

Because of their short nose, Boston Terriers are very noisy. They snuffle and grunt a lot. We always knew where he was because we could always hear him snuffling.

Gus was bright, sweet, inquisitive, and a bundle of energy. His favorite game was fetch and don't let go. He would insist on playing it for hours on end. 

As Gus got older he slowed down like we all do, and he was on several medicines but his sweet inquisitive nature stayed the same. He was like a little 90 year old man and spent most of the day sleeping. He would get up late at night and pester me for food. What he had in his bowl was never good enough, so I spoiled him shamelessly by giving him treats.

Around Thanksgiving last year he had seizures. They were very severe, and the vet put him on an anti-seizure medicine. The vet told us the seizures were probably caused by a brain tumor. There really were not any options for a 15 year old dog other than to put him on anti-seizure medicine and also to give him Prednisone to slow the tumor's growth. He had a couple of more very minor seizures two months ago, but he did not have any more seizures until Monday. Monday morning he had a severe seizure. I left a message with the vet, she was not in the office until Wednesday. Tuesday morning he had another seizure, and as the day progressed he had several more. They were severe. We knew all along he would not be with us forever, but that afternoon we decided he was not going to get any better and we took him to the vet to put him to sleep. Ruth went in with him, because of the Corona virus they would only allow one person in the office at a time. I waited in the car. She said it was very quick, his eyes closed and he was gone.

Fifteen years is a lot of time for habits to form. I keep checking his water bowl to see if is full of water. If I am clattering in the kitchen late at night I expect to hear him gallumping down the stairs looking for a treat. If I hear a noise, I think it is him.

We are very sad right now, but we are very grateful that we had Gus for these few extra months.

Gus as a sleepy little puppy.

pnkUd214j

With his Christmas collar on.

pnavcvWlj

Always ready to play.  This is his tough face. He is saying just try to take this towel from me.

poembSk0j

Who, me?

plh27cT1j

Ruth dressed him up every Halloween for the neighborhood kids to see. He is dressed as a pumpkin in this photo. He hated costumes, particularly hats.

pnGwl5Ijj

Gus and me.

ploMNZr5j

Gus and Ruth

pnRPEtZPj

My sincerest condolences!!  I've been there more times than I care to count!!  You will remember the joy and the good times long after the worst of the hurt has passed!!

I think the bottom half of my signature says it all!!

Back to Petloss.com

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow bridge together

Click here for The Custom Made Rainbow Bridge Print

Driftwood, they get into our hearts and become another child.  We all know that one day they'll pass, but that never makes it any easier.  Take comfort to know that Gus lead a good life, full of love and kindness.  Nothing we say will ease your sense of loss, but try to remember that he's in a better place waiting for you both.

My heartfelt condolences,

TS

I love when people are really connected to their pets, they are part of your family & give so much joy & wonderful memories, sorry for your loss Driftwood, best wishes to you both & I think Gus will still be chasing the bigger dogs on the other side.

Howdy Driftwood

So very sorry to hear about Gus. I know the sorrow you are going through. I don't know if you remember our dog Buddy but he went through the same illness. We lost him in 2014 at 14 years old. We miss him every day still. It doesn't make it any easier but keep thinking of the good days and times you both had with him.

B.P. & Annie 

You pick the time, but getting another dog can redirect that feeling. Part of what I miss when losing a dog is something to care for. Each one is different, not a replacement per se.

Driftwood:

My most heartfelt condolences and words of comfort.

I too have a 14 year old dog names Gus.  He is a Havanese bred, and I could have written this exact same message.

My prayers are with you, my brother.

T-Square

I feel your pain.  There are two labs and a beagle mix that I miss every day, after more than 20 years.

Duffield

So sorry for the loss of your friend and family member. We too have been there a number of times. Each time we said that we would not get another because the loss was too much to bare. However, each time we ended up doing so because living without the love and comfort that a true K-9 friend can provide is just too much to bare. You can never replace you friend, but you can enjoy another one. The years of joy should not be wasted. If possible, after a short time, get yourself another friend.

Snakebite

Our condolences on your loss.  When we lost our Lily Langtry a three years ago, someone posted this poem for us, which we keep with a photo of her.  Perhaps it will bring you some comfort:

I lost a treasured friend today

The little dog who used to lay

His gentle head upon my knee

And shared his silent thoughts with me.

He'll come no longer to my call

Retrieve no more his favorite ball

A voice far greater than my own

Has called him to his golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears

I thank him for the happy years

He let him spend down here with me

And for his love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know

I shall not fear the transient night

For he will meet me with a bark.

Author Unknown

As soon as I read the title about losing a best friend I knew it would be a dog.  Lots of us have been there.  I lost my Labrador, Phoebe, 13 years ago and I still miss her.  Her successor Lab, Josie, is now 13 and of course really slowing down and I know our time together is closing soon.  I feel for you and I am very sorry for your loss, and I know you will grieve, but remember as doors close doors open.  Your next best friend is waiting for you.

I have read a lot of your posts over the years.

This is the first that brought tears to my eyes.

My sincerest condolences.

Waimea

Pard, I feel your pain and loss. I just had to part ways with my best friend of 14 years, Dinga Roo, in February. I've no words to help the hurt, but I send all the best wishes from the heart.

I’m so sorry to hear about Augustus. Your loving tribute to him is a powerful, warm reminder of your deep caring for him & you have my sincerest condolences.

My wife and I have lost a lot of pets in our 49 years of marriage. They've included dogs, cats, opossums, birds, and a slough of llamas.  I sympathize with you.  We've learned to enjoy our animal friends while they're alive, and to remember them fondly after they go.   Our job is to give them the best life possible and be as good a friend to them as they are to us. 

Snakebite is right, after a time, another pet is really the only way to fill the huge hole that they leave in our life and soul.   I am sure our selfless pets look down and hope we can be happy again.   

sorry to hear this , there is a special place in our hearts for our pets - one that nothing and noone else can occupy , ive grown attached to a good number of fellow cowboys/gals pets seeing them year after year at shoots , ive experienced a few changes in some good friends households that always set you back a little , 

Our Vet has a framed document on the wall that says that every time you lose a dog it takes a piece of your heart but every time you get a new dog they give you a piece of their heart.  Eventually if you own enough does in your lifetime you get a chance to have a heart that is as good and pure as a dog’s. 

Condolences to you and everyone else who will be missing Gus.

Seamus 

Oh man, sorry for your loss.  I have a 16 year old dog who I love more than anything and she's really slowing down.  Dreading the day.... Your sweet pooch had a GREAT life!

Archived