SASS Wire Forum

Blew up a pistol today: UPDATED (2nd page)

When you deprime and resize how far are your cases going into the die? Each time they are resized they are probably becoming weaker at the same location and if it's right at the top of the head that's where the separation occurs. Maybe, don't resize as far down. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

When you deprime and resize how far are your cases going into the die? Each time they are resized they are probably becoming weaker at the same location and if it's right at the top of the head that's where the separation occurs. Maybe, don't resize as far down. Just a thought.

Become brittle from being work hardened. 

Same reason casemouth's start cracking.

OLG 

UPDATE #1,   4-13-2020

You Pards have been GREAT with information that could have been the gremlin.

BUT, here is something strange.

I had received an email from SIG on March 15th about upgrading my P320 with their

newer system which helps prevent firing when dropped.

BUT...it was under the guise of a lawsuit about the P320's (prior to August 2017) firing

BEFORE the slide/barrel were in complete lockup.

This explains a lot to me.   Mine was purchased NEW in March 2016.

In the lawsuit, SIG has agreed to upgrade the P320, etc..... etc.....

There is a slight possibility that my brass, reloads, etc..... may not have been the culprit.

I will be shipping the P320 back to SIG following their instructions.  And I will also

send them the piece of brass that separated and my reload information.  These are things

they should know of.   My whole pistol could very well be replaced at no charge.

Honestly, Thanks everyone for your input and sharing with each of us some darn good

information.   I learned a few things, as I suspect many of us did.

Have a great day.

..........Widder

On 4/11/2020 at 10:27 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

S.DAVE:   OOB has crossed my mind.   But will a striker fired pistol allow me to pull the trigger

and fire the pistol without being fully in battery?    I don't know.

The max pressure you mentioned could be the gremlin.

..........Widder

If the Sig has the P320 voluntary trigger upgrade, the disconnector added should not allow it to fire out of battery.

We used to train with some Air Marshals and they all carried 357 Sigs. Dang those things were loud and I had to wear a headset over my molded ear plugs.

That is a great round, however, very uncomfortable for spectators or timer operators. They carried large frame guns and most were very proficient, more so than most LE I've trained with. 

56 minutes ago, Assassin said:

We used to train with some Air Marshals and they all carried 357 Sigs. Dang those things were loud and I had to wear a headset over my molded ear plugs.

That is a great round, however, very uncomfortable for spectators or timer operators. They carried large frame guns and most were very proficient, more so than most LE I've trained with. 

Howdy Assassin.

I love both my .357 SIG's.   This particular P320 is my normal carry pistol, with factory rounds.

But the one that stays by my bed and around me in the house is my P229 Legion.  This is a

super nice pistol and is very controllable because its weight seems to be all compacted

in a smaller steel frame and 4" barrel.

I think the Air Marshals and Secret Service carry the P229 in .357 Sig.

Indeed, it is a fight stopper.   

I've experienced nothing but great accuracy with both of these SIG's and have been

happy with both.

..........Widder

45 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Widder, have you contacted Sig?

They may well want to look it over and possibly give you a discount on a new one.

OLG 

Hey Lumpy.

Based on the email I received, they will probably totally upgrade mine plus a new grip or

totally replace the pistol with a new one.

It looks like there have been some customer issues with OOB discharges and a lawsuit

is being settled with P320 owners.

..........Widder

Actually Lumpy,  I just laid the pistol down.

It was a tremendous 'boom' and blasted some pressure rearward.  Glad I had on my normal shooting

glasses.   I think Slater was more alarmed than I was when it happened.

The cracked frame stung my hand rather sharply.   But no cuts or broken parts.

But honestly, I wasn't effected in a nervous manner.   I finished my shooting with my P229 in .357 SIG

although I did not use anymore of those rounds.

I've had a couple OOB with my 97 over the years and nothing seems to effect me when those

things happen.

..........Widder

Widder You might want to reconsider sending in your reload. There might be something in the Sig manual about Not using reloads. They might renig on warranty. 

Imis glad you are ok

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Widder You might want to reconsider sending in your reload. There might be something in the Sig manual about Not using reloads. They might renig on warranty. 

Imis glad you are ok

Someone else suggested that.  BUT, regardless of cost to me, I want SIG to know ALL the details of the situation.

When a situation such as that occurs, its good for all those concerned to have as much info as possible.

Besides, contrary to what TN Williams would like for everyone to believe (:P), I find it almost impossible to

lie or deceive anyone.   The reason I say 'almost impossible' is because sometimes, when I bring a new

toy into the house,  I have to quickly hide it among the others hoping it ain't noticed by the

Bunkhouse Boss..... :D

..........Widder

Wow Widder. Deceiving the boss like that..... I would NEVER do that 

Twice in one day.....

M.Slim,

well, its kinda like this.   Some of those guns that drift into Fort Widder are some Marlins and Henry's that

belong to other people.   I check em out and then send em out.

The Bunkhouse Boss don't know which is which, should one of them follow me home from another 

'source'.  

And, there's no need to burden the Boss with unnecessary and trivial details..... :D

..........Widder

I Never let the Devil in on the details of My gun purchases ,,,,  What she don't know can't hurt me ....

There is Safety in mass ....

Jabez Cowboy 

On 4/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

M.Slim,

well, its kinda like this.   Some of those guns that drift into Fort Widder are some Marlins and Henry's that

belong to other people.   I check em out and then send em out.

The Bunkhouse Boss don't know which is which, should one of them follow me home from another 

'source'.  

And, there's no need to burden the Boss with unnecessary and trivial details..... :D

..........Widder

Widder,

Tried to send PM to you, Says you can't receive messages.  Can you PM me?

Jeb

On 4/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis glad you are ok

Isn't that SOP with gun companies?

JHC

If SIG somehow wants to hold me responsible for this incident, I will be glad to inform them

that it would be a terrible thing for word to get out that they produced a pistol that blows up

and malfunctions while using reloads that are on the light side.

ESPECIALLY since they are retrofitting their P320 models (made prior to August 2017) 

for having problems with Slide/Barrel lockup problems and firing OOB.

OOB problems are a real issue, factory or reloads.

..........Widder

16 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

ESPECIALLY since they are retrofitting their P320 models (made prior to August 2017) 

for having problems with Slide/Barrel lockup problems and firing OOB.

OOB problems are a real issue, factory or reloads.

..........Widder

Is this the trigger thing where it was failing the drop test?  I don't remember talk of OOB discharges with that.  I have one I got in Oct 2017 that's already had the first problem fixed.  Do I need to send it back to them again? 

Ramblin,

I got an email from SIG on March 15th.

It informed me that SIG had agreed to an out of court settlement with some plaintiffs over problems

with the P320 firing before the "slide/barrel" lock up.

Because I send in my purchase (warranty) cards when I buy SIG products, they had be down as a 

contact because I bought my P320 in March 2016.

They stated that this retrofit only pertained to pistol made prior to August 2017.

The email also mentioned the trigger situation.

If I can attach that email, I will try to do it on another post.

..........Widder

Archived