SASS Wire Forum

Help with Vaquero reassembly

For some reason when I reassemble the pistol I can't get the loading gate to open properly.  I've had vaqueros apart before and never had a problem getting them reassembled.

I must be missing something .  Loading gate will open about 1/2 way and then binds   Any suggestions ?

Is the tail of the spring protruding past the recoil shield ?

Howdy

I haven't taken a Vaquero apart in a long time, but one thing I learned was do not open the loading gate until the revolver is completely reassembled. Opening the loading gate before complete reassembly can allow the spring to slip out of position. With the spring out of position, the loading will bind on opening.

Using a very very small screw driver you may be able to push the loading gate spring in place without taking it apart again. 

For some it's easy.  I know a cowboy who brought his pieces to a match in a plastic bag and handed it to a experienced cowboy for reassembly.

8 hours ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

I was doing one recently and the spring would not stay 

in place . Luckily I had another spring and the new one 

worked just fine

Not too long ago, I tried to clean up and recontour the tip of the spring by rubbing it against 320 grit silicone carbide sandpaper, backed up by a saw table.  I was surprised when the less than 1/32" I removed left the gate loosely hanging about 1/4 open.  Lessons learned.  

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Not too long ago, I tried to clean up and recontour the tip of the spring by rubbing it against 320 grit silicone carbide sandpaper, backed up by a saw table.  I was surprised when the less than 1/32" I removed left the gate loosely hanging about 1/4 open.  Lessons learned.  

I have found this the best way to soften opening the loading gate. Squeeze very very softly and very very little. It works..

E27647C6-AE22-4624-9F60-5D589B90753D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived