SASS Wire Forum

I wonder if this kind of thing annoys anyone else

Alpo

There's a novel. Historical fiction. And I'm reading the little blurb where they are telling you enough interesting stuff about the book to make you want to read it.

The protagonist was "a member of Elizabeth I's court". Except in 1570 there was no Elizabeth I. There was simply Elizabeth. And she stayed Elizabeth until 1952 when we got Elizabeth II.

I was reading something the other day where it said that Wild Bill Hickok was killed in Deadwood, South Dakota. Except that he wasn't. South Dakota did not exist. He was killed in Deadwood, Dakota Territory.

I just wish people could be a little more - correct in what they're writing.

If I'm feeling grumpy when I read it, yes.  On the other hand, if it is just a teaser, sort of like the abstract of a review, then having it specify which QE's court could be helpful.  Heck, if it is an "alternative history" novel, it is possible that someone is time hopping between both courts.

>The author of The Flashman Papers delivers a novel “that’ll stick in the memory for long afterwards” (The Spectator). Margaret is raised as a lady of Queen Elizabeth I’s court. After her father’s murder, she inherits his estate — along with a world of chaos and violence<

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

(The Spectator). Margaret is raised as a lady of Queen Elizabeth I’s court. After her father’s murder, she inherits his estate — along with a world of chaos and violence<

OK, so that tells me that it is set in the 1500s.  If it had read "Raised as a lady of Queen Elizabeth's court" I would be wondering which Queen Elizabeth.  

Yeah it gets me to not finish a book when an FBI agent gets her Glock out of the glove box in her car and jacks a round in the chamber. Or when some one draws their S&W revolver and takes the safety off. Ive got about 4 half finished books that I refuse to read to the finish.

I read a good Brit mystery a year or so back that had a big flaw toward the end that messed it up a bit for me. The bad guy holds the girl at gunpoint, with a revolver, for a long time, say a half-hour, while the good guy desperately searches.

The lass gazes at the revolver in horrid anticipation as the bad guy pours out all of his malice in a long disquisition.

Good guy breaks into the hideout, just as the gunman pulls the trigger. Click! The revolver was empty!

You could just- barely- pull that scenario off with a semi-auto pistol. (The bad guy was a toff who didn't know a whole lot about firearms, but he got this one from the uncle's estate, or something like that.) But how do you not know whether a revolver is loaded?

And the gal could have saved herself a lot of anxiety. She did look at it for a half-hour, after all. Should have been able to see that it was empty-- at least that several chambers were.....

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

OK, so that tells me that it is set in the 1500s.  If it had read "Raised as a lady of Queen Elizabeth's court" I would be wondering which Queen Elizabeth.  

The one that took her head off....

Texas Lizard

When movies get gun stuff wrong it's annoying, but it's to be expected.

But when Western writers and crime writers do, it's inexcusable. Firearms  are an integral part of those kinds of writing, and it's not complicated to get it right.

The only time this happened to me and made me put the book down, the author claimed that when you breath through your mouth the air goes to your stomach instead of your lungs.  This wasn't even a fiction book, it was supposed to be informative. 

I have had numerous times with mystery type stories where I assumed they had an inaccuracy like this and it turned out to be a clue that was supposed to help you solve the case.  I wish I could think of an example, it happens so often that they're not memorable after a few days.  I got burned a few times when I was young by over-analyzing mistakes in stories.  Got embarrassed in front of the class and missed questions on quizzes.  That trained me to ignore things that look like ignorant errors. 

Archived