SASS Wire Forum

being Prepared

Being Prepared . . .

Hi all, . . for what it is worth . . ( or maybe not ? ) here is how I and a couple of friends have been staying prepared . . . well in advance . . .

We (Myself, Pike, and Calamity Myke who pal around together quite a bit ) have stayed prepared . . but not for the Virus . . rather for the possibility of a major earthquake.   We figured that a major quake would leave us isolated for a while with highway bridges collapsed and travel very restricted for a while. 

Thus we have generators for back up power, propane for cooking with extra propane on hand . . . I have solar power for my “man cave” that is home.  The solar is handy when there is good sunshine. . . . but limited as it is a cheap outfit that I bought at H. Depot and put in myself.  It provides 12 volt power around the clock alright. . . . and 110 to the TV and Disk player but will only provide power to the trailer and the computer in the day with the sun is shining strong on the panels.  So for the computer on cloudy days or early and late in the day the generator provides occasional 110 power to the trailer.

We attend monthly “give a ways” at a couple of local churches and put away must of the canned goods that we receive. I also get a few extra cans when I shop at the 99 cent store each week.  Stater Brothers is just down the block from the 99 cent store and I shop there also.

When I did the re-building of the place to be my “Man Cave” home . . . I wanted the kitchen very small and kept it so by added on a “Pantry” that is 6ft. wide and 8 ft. deep and is accessed thru a pocket door. It has been very handy. 

So when the virus problem looked to be arriving soon . . .  I bought major supplies 2 days before the big rush at stores began and have been in pretty good shape.  It is 20 miles to town from where I am located.

A couple of years back I thought of the possibility of civil unrest and of possible home invasions and so decided that in addition to the several shotguns that I already had it might be worthwhile to have a pump gun as well.  So I started looking about for a 97 Winchester and soon found an original advertised for a nice price by someone close enough to do a face to face purchase and it was a take down model as well.  So, I added it to my little arsenal.  Midway and a special at the time on Seiler and Beloit buckshot so I laid in three boxes of them.

It has been comforting to have been ready in advance for an emergency when it did occur.

0515190606a.jpg

20200224_013210.jpg

Pantry.jpg

97 take down.jpg

Ditto ! 

With a fresh water creek running threw the center of my property. 

IMG_20200407_174410_065.jpg

Rooster . . that looks NICE  :)

No creek in my place . . . have a water tank near the road that I have filled occasionally.  

Maybe I should have posted this info a couple of months ago ? . . . but who would have listened then ? :huh:

I used to keep a well stocked pantry.  So did the wife before we married.  We fell out of the habit, and I have had a hard time getting her back into it.  After this last two weeks, I don't think it will be that hard to convince her to keep essentials on hand.

I've already started back keeping the pantry stocked...and intend to do it better from now on.  

Our only weak spot is water.  We rely on city water.  Bottled is our only means of stockpiling for that.  

Archived