SASS Wire Forum

Quarantine Fever Got To Me -- Picked Up A BIG BOOMER Today!!

Well, the Stay-At-Home Quarantine finally got to me!

Cruisin' the gun auction sites, and the easy transaction potential of plastic made for a dangerous combination.

Jerkline Jesse got me started with a cheep & easy-to-obtain 10 gauge single shot.........

Then I started talkin' to myself (I've been doing that during the isolation)..........."Why not just look around for a 10 gauge side-by-side........

When I saw her on GunBroker, I started shakin' uncontrollably, twitchin' like a junkie going thru withdrawal...........

My cursor was drawn to the "Buy it Now" button like a moth drawn to a flame.................

So I am now the proud owner of a 10 gauge double.

My pard "Hacksaw" Coffinmaker is gonna make it into a coach gun for me........

40 brass shot shells, a loading kit, and wads have been ordered.

Got several bottles of 1.5Fg KIK out in the shed, and maybe 100 pounds of shot in the Munitions factory (basement).

Won't always shoot it (cuz I love my TTN Hammer gun), but When I do, you should see a big cloud of smoke & hear a BOOM! from my area of the range.

"Pale Rider Plus" loads -- Yeah Baby!!

Here's a coupla preliminary photos....................

--Smoke & BOOM Dawg

10.jpg

10_2.jpg

Had one of those tempt me in a weaker moment 12 or so years ago. Mine was cheap, ashamedly so. I bought, hacked the barrels at 20 inches, then never shot it. It's around here somewhere. Heavy sumofabuck, even after losing a foot of barrels.

I use my 20" barrelled ten 3-1/2" AyA for ALL of my CAS matches. I shoot trap and skeet with my long one. Warthog loads of Holy black are my choice.

I have a semiautomatic ten 3--1/2" for waterfowl hunting. After many decades of extra heavy loads, all three are now quite comfortable. Try it, you'll like it! :wub:

Lots of fun! Me and My 10 G 

0558C012-D8A6-4F57-B8CA-4FCCF598C946.jpeg

Golly DAWG,

after reading the title of your Thread, I thought maybe you bought yeaself a .22 magnum

or something like that.:lol:

If you run into Godzilla, looks like you got the equalizer..... ;)

..........Widder

I shot with a guy a couple years ago that uses a 10 gauge. And black. We were all thinking it was just the concussion alone from the 10 that was taking the knockdowns out.

Good job.  Now find that 1887 to go with it. 

IMO, if the gun made it this long, don't molest its barrel, its earned its place in your cart the way it is.

Anyone and everyone shoots a coach gun, not many shoot a real gun. Are you gonna be Doug Flutie or Ben Roethlisberger?  

A normal 20"12 ga for reference to original Winchester 87 10 ga and Remington 83 10 ga. 

IMG_20200411_081049.jpg

9 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

So how much black powder and shot do you fellas use in a 10g?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Seamus 

6 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

7 CCs of Shot and 7CCs Powder ....

Don't cut the barrels to less than 24 inches ..

Jabez Cowboy

7cc should be around 100 grains  by weight of Goex 2f. 

I load "mid-range" with 90 grains (volume) 2f and 1 1/8 -  1 1/4 oz shot 

Works out to 106.5 grains on both my scales...

To tell you a secret I use Weights in my Loads to set my Powder Measure ...

I use Goex 3F in about all my Cowboy loads as I find it gives me more velocity and a cleaner Burn ..

In .44 C&B guns my measure gives 37.7 grains under a ball , in .36 C&B guns I have my Grandmothers Non adjustable measure that gives 23.4 grains...

For the odd time I use .38 Spl. I set the measure to drop 17 - 17.2 grains depending on case used , Under 158 gr. RNFP bullets...

For .38-40 I use 34.4 - 34.8 grains under a 180 Gr. RNFP  ,  In .44 Special I use 30.0 - 30.2 grains under either a 220 or 240 grain RNFP ...

In .45 Colt I use 37.7 grains under a 255 or 270 gr. RNFP ...

All loads Use Goex 3F ...

In 12 Ga. I use 68 grains under 1 3/16 or 1 1/4 oz. of shot which ever amount gives the best crimp in the case in use ...

In 10 ga. I use 106.5 grains under 1 5/8 oz of shot... Sometimes I increase the Shot volume to 2 Oz of Shot ...

These Shotshell loads pattern nice and even, and serve nicely for Cowboy and in the field ...

Jabez Cowboy

6 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

So how much black powder and shot do you fellas use in a 10g?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Seamus 

Out of my modern Spanish 10 gauge, 120 grains of powder (1F or 2F) and 1 1/2 ounces of shot. 

Sometimes I pull both triggers at once  :D.    Despite all the flame, thunder & concussion it's actually pretty pleasant to shoot.  The gun weighs about 12 1/2 pounds, has a pretty good recoil pad and with BP it is just a giant shove rather than the sharper "punch" of smokeless.

Two reasons for 24 inches , Balance and Complete burning of the powder ...

While Modern  lite target loads in 12 ga. are mostly consumed in barrels of 19 inches in length...

Standard field  loads need 22- 23.7 inches of barrel ...

Heavy field loads and magnum loads need from 23.7 - 26  inches of barrel For a complete burn ...

10 ga. loads need even longer barrels to burn efficiently light loads 22in. , medium loads 25,  heavy loads 25-27 in. and Magum 3.5 inch loads need about 29 inches ...

And with Blackpowder Longer barrels are more efficient , in burning the powder ....

As to balance most SxS guns are made to Balance at the hinge pin and they become Butt heavy when chopped ....

Making them slower to get on target and more prone to muzzle jump ... Also barrel weight helps to open the action and Keep it open ...

Certain Guns like my Cowboy Delux are factory made with short barrels and are balanced for use with short barrels ....

They still have more muzzle blast than those that burn their powder in the barrel verses in the Air ...

Jabez Cowboy 

I had the pleasure of shooting with Dutch Luke E and Cracker Smacker at Dark Day and after 10 stages of running the clock for both of them I now need to get the fillings in my teeth reset. It was quite entertaining watching the leaves fall off of the trees behind the targets every time they pulled the trigger. I'm thinkin I might just need one of them '87s in 10 g.

Howdy Coffinmaker ;

The info I gave is a rough Average based on 30 + years of ballistic testing and Industry standard averages ...

Burn rate and Shot load effect results as do wad column composition and to a lesser degree Burn rate of chosen Powder ...

Barrel lenght is also a minor factor in choke performance ... 

With Holy Black other factors come into play ...

About 20 years ago I took two guns with 32 inch barrels and Shot them over fresh snow and over the screens of my Chronograph ... One Gun was a 12 and the other was a 10 ga. they were tested at 32, 30, 29, 28, 27, 25, 24, 23.5, 23, 22.5, 22, 21.5, in both gauges then the 10 ga. was dropped ... testing continued with the 12 ga.

At 21, 20.5, 20, 19.5, 19, 18.5, 18, and 17.5 inches ... This took over two weeks to do, each lenght was tested with three load levels of Shells ...

The result was that I decided barrel lenghts of less than 29 inches in Ten ga. 3.5 inch guns, or less than 27 inches in 2.7/8 10 ga. or less than 24 inches in 12 ga for field loads or less than 21 inches for target loads were less than opium....

Jabez Cowboy

All test ammo was Winchester manufactured ...

This same ammo was tested to find what I consider the best shot size for Home defense in Urban and Rural settings ...

Jabez Cowboy 

On 4/11/2020 at 10:38 AM, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Seamus 

There was a fellar that used to shoot with us and his load was 150 gr. black behind 2 1/4 oz. of shot. ( you didn't want to get caught in a building with him shooting)!

Randy

PM:
Buying a gun sight-unseen is always a crapshoot.

But, there are ways to tip the odds in your favor, IMHO.

First, I wanted a modern gun, not one 100 years old, as I am not qualified to make those kind of judgement decisions.

I felt that a modern gun, made of modern materials would be a better bet.

Secondly, I look at the seller's description & balance that against feedback.

Buyers on GB have not problems ratting out a dishonest seller.

So, between the feedback numbers and the feedback comments, I feel that it helps one make an informed purchase.

It's never 100% perfect, and sometimes you get burned, but (for me), this was only going to be a fun gun for occasional use.

Quite frankly, I've been burned more times on the SASSWire classifieds (3 times) by cowboys, than I have on the Internet auction sites (twice).

But like I say, it is always a crapshoot, so, if you can't deal with the occasional bad purchase, you shouldn't buy from there.

I've been positively surprised many times both on the Wire Classifieds, and the auction sites (GunBroker & AuctionArms have been the sites I have used) 

I avoid Armslist, as I got burned badly there, and have found that there are lots of scammers there.

If it seems to good to be true.......

I do look for local shops selling there & have visited them & purchased a gun in person.

Just my 2 cents.

--Dawg

12 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

It's never 100% perfect, and sometimes you get burned, but (for me), this was only going to be a fun gun for occasional use.

Quite frankly, I've been burned more times on the SASSWire classifieds (3 times) by cowboys, than I have on the Internet auction sites (twice).

Me too! :angry:
Most of my Gunbroker buys have turned out to be better, sometimes MUCH better, than described. :)

Archived