SASS Wire Forum

First Attempt at Refinishing

Tequila Shooter

Today I started my first attempt at refinishing gun wood.  I wanted to do my SG stock, but I decided that I better walk before I run, so I'm starting out with a pistol set.  These grips are from a pair of Pietta El Malos that are my main match guns.  I changed the grips a while back to stag because I wanted a little more grip in the grip and I just liked the look.

So here's what we're starting with

IMG_1354.thumb.jpg.25ef61f1c73be2848a5b4b45fea8f1cb.jpg681935849_IMG_1353(1).thumb.jpg.ccc3bb5455c22325a0636ad94a7d9b98.jpg

As you can see there are some surface scratches

Here's what we'll be using

233657423_IMG_1352(1).thumb.jpg.216d8bf00c5d537913da7a7fc61c3c4d.jpg

First coat of stripper

IMG_1355.thumb.jpg.f702a5ac2904f2bf43e303f76f039ff9.jpg

After 2 hours

IMG_1356.thumb.jpg.c409ef4589c5a06b64a7640012714113.jpg

The stripper took off most of the finish.  

After scraping the stripper and finish off I hit it again with more stripper using the green scotchbrite.  When I finished with the scotchbrite I applied more stripper with the brush.  I'll wait a couple of more hours take some more pics and update this post as we go along.

...and if you don't have an old credit card, a wooden paint stirrer works well also.

I'm eager to see your results, since I have "mutilated" several guns in my time!

:D

Here's today's update

After applying more stripper and removing it (thanks @The Original Lumpy Gritz for the credit card trick) I still wasn't happy with the color.  The wood still looked very red so I broke out the sandpaper and did some light hand sanding, that lightened the color of the wood.

This after staining

IMG_1359.thumb.jpg.c344965e847bb0139d1f76befbb1df84.jpgIMG_1360.thumb.jpg.d77128343a199c6577637d135874141f.jpg

I waited overnight.  This morning I applied the first coat of Tung Oil.  This is how they looked.

IMG_1361.thumb.jpg.1431201983475475412d468c3148597b.jpgIMG_1362.thumb.jpg.ff157a63a78190d7c084f9d7a6fd2fdb.jpg

Not much of a difference.  Next I'll rub them with 0000 steel wool and apply another coat of Tung Oil.  At this point I'm not sure how many coats it's going to take but I've got time.

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TS, hope you are doing the finish in a heated room.

Makes a big difference in the outcome. 

OLG

OLG, I'm doing it in my shop/loading room which is temp and humidity controlled.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

@Tequila Shooter I'm really liking the grain on those grips. You're doing great. 

Looked yesterday at he grips on my other pistols and that grain is even nicer.  I think I'm going to refinish those next

Here they are at the end of today.  I did put one more coat after I took the pictures, I'll let that sit overnight and then give it one more hand rub.  Let me know what y'all think.

IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.689cff49781dbf856df0b03d554f1440.jpg

IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.6e0645d27d0509e78138caad05390831.jpg

I'd say you have some very porous wood in those grips.   By looking at the reflection highlights in your pictures, you can see the pores  - not just black fibers in the wood, but crevices where the oil finish has not filled in.    Some folks will take the oil they are finishing with, mix in some sawdust that came from the same wood (or as good a match as you can), and apply that as a filler before starting to apply the finish coats with just oil (or varnish).   Then sand that down and even put a little oil on the sandpaper to glue in any sawdust that might be raised off the surface.  A mark of a "pro" finish is no pores show as you look through the sheen of the finished surface.    Then again, for a set of pistol grips, those pores can actually provide a little extra gripping "tooth."  

Mostly, the beauty is in the eye of the user of the firearm.    You're not going to get much more "grain pop" than on the original wood.   But the finish will be warmer and show some age.

Good luck, GJ

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I'd say you have some very porous wood in those grips.   By looking at the reflection highlights in your pictures, you can see the pores  - not just black fibers in the wood, but crevices where the oil finish has not filled in.    Some folks will take the oil they are finishing with, mix in some sawdust that came from the same wood (or as good a match as you can), and apply that as a filler before starting to apply the finish coats with just oil (or varnish).   Then sand that down and even put a little oil on the sandpaper to glue in any sawdust that might be raised off the surface.  A mark of a "pro" finish is no pores show as you look through the sheen of the finished surface.    Then again, for a set of pistol grips, those pores can actually provide a little extra gripping "tooth."  

Mostly, the beauty is in the eye of the user of the firearm.    You're not going to get much more "grain pop" than on the original wood.   But the finish will be warmer and show some age.

Good luck, GJ

GJ, I never new that about fine finishing work, interesting.  As these grips are my first attempt, and they are for "working guns" I'm not sure I would've wanted a showpiece finish even if I knew how to do it..  I was just glad to get rid of the sprayed on stain and poly finish and get to a more natural look.

I have a single-shot c&b "pirate pistol" that I've removed the hardware from, and I'm ready to start the process.

Thanks for the incentive to keep going.

The comments are good, too.

Thanks, y'all.

Looking great .

Now I got some Motivation :D

those turned out wonderful , i think you did everything right on these , enjoy them , if down the road they start to look like you dislike them to , you now know what to do and how to do it , fantastic job 

Archived