SASS Wire Forum

Vimy Ridge Day

Today I took a few minutes and thought of my great uncle George who was lost at Vimy Ridge and my uncle Ernie, who survived.

I missed placing a flag on your grave this year Uncle Ernie but I said a prayer in remembrance of you and of Great uncle George, who has no known grave.

God bless you both.

Coincidentally, when the Vimy Memorial was dedicated by King Edward in 1936, I had relations from both my Mother's and my Father's sides of the families there as part of the Pilgrimage groups that journeyed from Canada, to be at the dedication.

(My parents hadn't even met at the time and didn't until the first Sunday of WWII in September 1939, three years later)

There were excursions sailing from Canada as part of what was called The Vimy Pilgrimage. It brought veterans of the battle and people from all over Canada and elsewhere, who had taken part in the battle.  

This was at the tail end of the Great Depression and the fare to attend, while small in term of today, in 1936, it was a lot.

Third Class Ocean fare, with a 20% discount was $119.00 the land tour $36.00 and Pilgrimage Equipment was $4.40 for a total of $160.00

A little more than 6,200 made the trip.

My Dad's uncle was with the 44th Battalion and was killed by getting hit in the head by enemy shrapnel near Arras, France on Sept 02, 1918 but was buried at Vimy Ridge.

It was a helluva fight.

Speaking of the Great War, dud anybody see the article about Indian snipers in the Canadian Army in this issue of The Rifleman?

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Good article. 

Yeah. Except the Canadian army wasn’t the only one. The US Army had a number of Indians in it’s ranks.

Moving subject.

My grandfather was Canadian and was a pilot in the Royal Air Force in the Great War. He flew as an artillery spotter, which is how military aviation in the First World War mostly started out. Indeed, he was an artillery office before being brought into the Royal Flying Corps as a spotter. (RFC became the RAF in early 1918).

He had many stories of the War.

Archived