SASS Wire Forum

625 or 45A?

Tom Bullweed

I have owned Colt 1917, S&W 1917 and a S&W 625 of 1989.  All sa/da revolvers in .45 ACP.

Regret not having a .45 revolver now.

There are two nice options out now: S&W 625 and Ruger Redhawk .45A in .45 ACP and .45 Colt.  Don't like the Governor.

Any of you cowboys got experience with this Ruger?

625 without question, I own and shoot a lot of Rugers but the Redhawk just isn't right for me in any caliber.

Had both S&W and Ruger.   Added 2nd 625   Have a 4 in and 5 in     Only way to go in MY opinion     GW

I currently have three Smith and Wesson revolvers in 45 ACP.  A 625 Mountain Gun, a 625 Jerry Miculek, and (recently acquired) a Model of 1917 (made in 1918).  I like them all very much. 

I'm not much on the Redhawk.  It's always seemed ungainly to me.

Not sure it is a fair comparison.  I've owned a 625 and now on my second Redhawk (I made the mistake of selling the first one).

The 625 is very good at shooting the .45ACP round in a revolver, especially if you want to go fast.

The Redhawk was designed to handle heavy loads in 45 Colt and 44 Magnum (and other calibers).  

If you are going to hunt, want a handgun to defend against most dangerous animals or just want a handgun that you can fire magnum level loads through, buy the Ruger.  I'd suggest the stainless steel 5.5" barrel, the 7.5" barrel makes the gun a  bit too large to comfortably carry around in a holster.

If you just want to plink or maybe shoot a revolver in one of the action games, buy the 625.

Chantry, that is a thought that I did not have.  Most of the .45 Colt loads that I fire now are CAS levels, but I do have some hotter loads for desperate situations.

I've also owned both the 625 and Ruger Redhawks.

I would vote for the 625.

If you plan to MAGNUMIZE some of your reloads in case Godzilla comes around the Bunkhouse,

then go for the Redhawk.

Just my opin.

..........Widder

625 Mountain Gun is a little easier to carry as it has a lightweight barrel.  Clearly my favorite DA Wheelgun!

34968262321_ecd03213c3_c.jpg

DSCN0669 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

My elk and deer hunting revolver is a S & W 6-1/8" .44 Remington Magnum. My bullseye gun is a Les Baer .45ACP. I carry a 3-1/2" barrel .44S&W Special revolver. I use 2 Ruger OM .45 Colts for CAS.

Those fit my hands and do a great job for their intended purposes.

Pretty hard to beat an N frame. Especially the skinny barrels around 4". Almost as good a balance as a model 19/4". Rugers.....hmmm. They're just tonka-tough. Don't ever seem to break unless you fiddle with them. Redhawks are a good chunk a gun. I have one in 45ACP/45LC.s. No. y'all can't have it. Mine. No, it doesn't carry near as nice as my S&W model 21. No. Y'all can't have that neither. But I really like shooting it. Right pleasant. In a Chesty Puller rig from Simply Rugged Holsters (shameless plug for my good friend Rob, LOL) it carries right nice.

Take the Red Hawk when you deliberately go to kill something.  I like 5.5" barrel on everything.  Take the Smith if ease of carrying is a consideration and a nimble gun that would be quickly into action.

Archived