SASS Wire Forum

Western

I was watching a Western that came out in 1953. War Arrow it starred Jeff Chandler, Maureen O'Hara.

What cot my attention they were using 1860 Henrys. There was also 92 Winchesters with the forearm removed.

Nice to see the Henry take center stage. 

It is good to see the Henry’s in those older movies. I see the 92’s with the forearm removed in quite a few of the oldies. I guess they are trying to make them look like a Henry. One of the blessings (or curses) of playing this game is knowing the firearms. It always bothers me when the movie is set in the 1870’s etc in the old west and they all use 92 Winchester’s . I watched “The Searchers “ again the other night which is set a few years after the civil war and there are the 92’s and 1873 colts. I have learned to live with it.

They did the same thing on The Undefeated. War Arrow is a good movie.

The 1950 movie, Broken Arrow, starring Jimmy Stewart, was supposedly set in the late 1870's. Central to the plot is a war between whites and Cochise's band in the southwest. There are some glaring problems with this - for instance, Cochise died in 1874. Another is evident in this still from the movie.

BrokenArrow.jpg

My new pet peeve is all the pistol caliber rifles carried by cowboys with bandolier full of rounds that would never cycle through the action. Worst of all is War Wagon

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 7:38 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I was watching a Western that came out in 1953. War Arrow it starred Jeff Chandler, Maureen O'Hara.

What cot my attention they were using 1860 Henrys. There was also 92 Winchesters with the forearm removed.

Nice to see the Henry take center stage. 

Maureen O'Hara :wub::wub: and you notice the RIFLES?!?

You ARE far gone!:o

On 4/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

My new pet peeve is all the pistol caliber rifles carried by cowboys with bandolier full of rounds that would never cycle through the action. Worst of all is War Wagon

Wanted: Dead or Alive.

https://myfavoritewesterns.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/steve-mcqueen-131.jpg

On 4/10/2020 at 1:42 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

The 1950 movie, Broken Arrow, starring Jimmy Stewart, was supposedly set in the late 1870's. Central to the plot is a war between whites and Cochise's band in the southwest. There are some glaring problems with this - for instance, Cochise died in 1874. Another is evident in this still from the movie.

BrokenArrow.jpg

Actually, Stewart’s character, based on the real friend of Cochise, has an opening narration that says the movie is set in 1872.

3 hours ago, Red Hooker said:

Yeah I was gonna mention that. :)

On 4/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, Mack Hacker, #60477 said:

Wanted Dead or Alive gets my vote for the worst.

Archived