SASS Wire Forum

Car exhaust suicide

Alpo

Can you still do that?

On another board a guy made a comment about "remember to make sure the exhaust is pointing outside the garage when working on the engine".

And I thought that was probably a good idea.

But I read several years ago that because of the catalytic converters on newer cars, you could sit in the garage with the door shut in the engine running and it would not kill you.

Does anyone know if that's true or not - that the catalytic converter prevents that from happening.

I could not figure out how to get that into a few words, to put it into a search engine.

So - no I am not planning on committing suicide.

I'm just curious. You see them do it on television every once in awhile, but they can do anything on television, whether it's real or not.

I don't know Alpo.  But, your post reminded me of when I was a young soldier.  A buddy in my platoon killed himself in his car using the exhaust.  Marital problem.  We all felt so guilty.  None of us even suspected...:(

The catalytic converters turn carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide.....which will also kill you.

Rye, this part

>Cars with catalytic converters should be started cold and allowed to idle, since catalytic converters don’t function when cold and allow carbon monoxide to build up in the exhaust gas.<

kinda sounds like what I read was true - that catalytic converters prevent it.

4 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Even if carbon monoxide wasn’t high enough still would be possible from oxygen deprivation 

I've read of people they THAT  were getting high on laughing gas dying from it. Oxygen deprivation. Makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Even if carbon monoxide wasn’t high enough still would be possible from oxygen deprivation 

Exactly. Any gas that reduces the oxygen level can be fatal.

(mixed gas deep diving excepted)

I have an Aunt that killed herself 20+ years ago from car exhaust.  

I'm not sure how many of you guys have heard of the missing mom from CT Jennifer Dulos.  Her husband was suspected in her death, and he eventually died from complications from carbon  monoxide poisoning.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fotis-dulos-charged-estranged-wife-s-murder-dies-after-suicide-n1126401

Red Wolf

I investigated far to many suicides from cars left running in an enclosed space. Not all those cases were intentional. Often seniors would forget to shut the car off and leave it running in the garage allowing fumes to flood the house and kill them.

My Uncle Frankie used to have this adaptor gizmo that let you put a garden hose on your car exhaust.  

The intent was to use it to kill gophers  ~ just run the hose down the gopher hole and ka-zingo, gassed gophers.

I suspect a few folks used 'em for other than their intended purpose.   :(

I had a case where the guy did this just a few years ago.  He duct taped a hose to the exhaust pipe, and then ran the hose into the driver's window.  Then he filled the gap in the window with cardboard and sealed it up with duct tape.  The exhaust was pumping directly into the driver's compartment. 

Like someone said, anything that displaces oxygen will deprive the brain of oxygen, even if a catalytic converter has rendered the gasses more safe for the environment.  The human brain isn't supposed to run on CO.  

Extremely bad way to go. Unconscious then comes convulsions and then the bad things happens to the body. If you get rescued in time and live more than likely a vegetable. Far better with a gun if done right. Usually quick and over. Some suicides are justifiable, mostly to the person who performs the act. Hard yes, but the truth from experience I worked over many years.

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Can you still do that?

On another board a guy made a comment about "remember to make sure the exhaust is pointing outside the garage when working on the engine".

And I thought that was probably a good idea.

But I read several years ago that because of the catalytic converters on newer cars, you could sit in the garage with the door shut in the engine running and it would not kill you.

Does anyone know if that's true or not - that the catalytic converter prevents that from happening.

I could not figure out how to get that into a few words, to put it into a search engine.

So - no I am not planning on committing suicide.

I'm just curious. You see them do it on television every once in awhile, but they can do anything on television, whether it's real or not.

Try it out and let us know.  :P

another thing:  carbon monoxide, CO, will bind with the hemoglobin on the surface of the red blood cells much more readily than oxygen, O2.  

even if  you get a person out of the CO environment you have to deal with this problem.  100% O2 treatment is about all you will have in field.  In hospitals treatment can go as high as blood transfusions.

It only takes a few minutes for major brain damage to occur and CO poisoning does not lend itself to a quick resolution 

Also have to consider safety of first responders  

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My Uncle Frankie used to have this adaptor gizmo that let you put a garden hose on your car exhaust.  

The intent was to use it to kill gophers  ~ just run the hose down the gopher hole and ka-zingo, gassed gophers.

I suspect a few folks used 'em for other than their intended purpose.   :(

Rodinators are more fun.  The only problem don't use one when the vegetation is dead.

Rodenator is no more.

From rodenator.com

Important Please Read

For 18 years Rodenator produced the finest and only one- piece concussive force rodent eliminating device in the marketplace. Rodenators shipped world wide and set a new high-water mark in the industry.

Rodenator experienced a major embezzlement and theft of assets by the CEO and Director of Operations.

The company formally known as Rodenator filed for dissolution with the Secretary of State of Idaho in July of 2019.

Carbon monoxide poisoning will also turn you an ugly black.
This is not conducive to a wake viewing of your handsome self.

If you are serious about it, helium is the ticket.
Hook it up to a CPAP mask and away you go.
There is no gasping or suffocating with helium.. just drift off.
The folks who take off the mask and remove the bottle are accessories to murder, though.
That might be a problem getting them to help out.

Wine is fine but whiskeys quicker .

Suicide is slow with liquor !

My Father-in-law has been trying for 54 years with Liquor .

The only thing he has accomplished was wrecking 3 Marriges and hurting 7 Children .

My incorrect anecdotal knowledge was from some crime movie where the guy died from CO poisoning and turned black.
One of my medical doctor clients tells me the only medical drama he will watch is "House" because it is 100% accurate.

Ducky is certainly a favorite.. dunno how accurate the show is though..  We've have seen every episode.
Last fall we attended a Navy retirement there at the Navy Museum so I got my tourist picture of the Navy Gold Star building they use in the TV show for the front of the NCIS office.

Archived