SASS Wire Forum

A good quote

Utah Bob #35998

From the Nameless series by Dean Koontz I’m reading now.

He tips the waitress 200 dollars, nearly 16 times the total of the check - not because she’s cute or friendly - she is the latter, but because....Well, someone wants him to do it. Someone who once said, “it’s not about the money, it’s the kindness, the way it makes the recipient feel special. Life is hard and lonely for many people. If all of us would make one another feel special every now and then - not just with money but however we can - wouldn’t that be lovely?”

On the other side of the coin:

At first you don't think you can stand to get hit, then you realize you can take it 'cause the blood don't matter, and you know you're gonna live. It's a great gift I'm goin' to give you - to know it don't hurt to fight!  Kid Sheleen

8 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

We all need to have sense of commitment to something.

Every man has to believe in something; I believe I’ll have another drink.

W.C. Fields (Perhaps while under quarantine?)

Seamus

I see this thread has taken a turn I did not anticipate. :blink::D

At any rate, the OP was a book quote. Movie quotes don’t count for purposes of points and prizes. 

You may continue.

Read this last night - book is fiction (J. Robert Kennedy, The Templar's Relic); two people are arguing about immigration. One character comments on the oft-heard "But we're a country of immigrants!"  It's lengthy, and undoubtedly one which some would find offensive:

“Many of those who come to this country today are immigrants. But our ancestors were pioneers. They were settlers. They came here to build a better life, to build a country.

"When they left their old homelands, they knew there was no going back. They left everything and everyone behind. So when they got here, they were motivated to build a better life for themselves, and in doing so, their fellow man, by helping build roads, churches, railroads, hospitals. The very things that make this country great.

“But now, most immigrants come here and there’s nothing for them to do, the hard works’ been done. Now they come here and figure out how they can take advantage of those centuries of hard work. They don’t leave their homelands behind, instead they use the Internet to keep in touch, their cheap long distance to talk daily to the old friends and family back home. They watch television in their own language, they read newspapers and websites in their own language, they shop in their own stores, eat their own food, go to their own places of worship, and don’t integrate..."

I wrote a table top book entitled "Everything I Know About Women" It has large, beautiful, colourful cover and an awesome back..

It has no pages.  :huh:

2 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I wrote a table top book entitled "Everything I Know About Women" It has large, beautiful, colourful cover and an awesome back..

It has no pages.  :huh:

Reminds me of this one....

A man on his Harley was riding along a California beach

A man on his Harley was riding along a California beach when suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in a booming voice, God said, "Because you have tried to be faithful to me in all ways, I will grant you one wish."

The biker pulled over and said, "Build a bridge to Hawaii so I can ride over anytime I want."

God replied, "Your request is materialistic; think of the enormous challenges for that kind of undertaking; the supports required reaching the bottom of the Pacific and the concrete and steel it would take! I can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your desire for worldly things. Take a little more time and think of something that could possibly help mankind."

The biker thought about God’s offer for a long time. Finally, he said, "God, I wish that I, and all men, could understand women. I want to know how she feels inside; what she's thinking when she gives me the silent treatment; why she cries; what she means when she says nothing's wrong; why she snaps and complains when I try to help; and how I can make a woman truly happy."

God thought for a moment, then replied: "Do you want two lanes or four?"

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

He tips the waitress 200 dollars, nearly 16 times the total of the check - not because she’s cute or friendly - she is the latter, but because....Well, someone wants him to do it. Someone who once said, “it’s not about the money, it’s the kindness, the way it makes the recipient feel special. Life is hard and lonely for many people. If all of us would make one another feel special every now and then - not just with money but however we can - wouldn’t that be lovely?”

I like it. A lot. 

My now-grown kids have finally learned I’m serious about wanting my birthday gift from them, should they want to give one, would be to take their own spouse to dinner and leave a monster tip. 

It all all started with a kind Waffle House server in 1990, but that’s a story for another day. 

Many of my favorite quotes come from David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series.

“Never keep a lawyer waiting. They have friends in low and infernal places.” (Ashes of Victory)

"
 My duty is not affected by what others may or may not do to discharge their own."

“Whatever it took, she would discharge her own duties and meet her own responsibilities. Not just to protect her career, but because they were her duties and responsibilities.”(On Basilisk Station)

"But what kept them on their feet when there was no sane reason for 
hope were the bonds between them, loyalty to one another, the knowledge that others depended on them even as they depended on those others. And sometimes, all too rarely, it came down to a single person it was simply unthinkable to fail. Someone they knew would never quit on them, never leave them in the lurch." (Honor of the Queen)

"Oops." (Ashes of Victory,  Shannon Foraker - Peoples Republic of Haven Tactical Officer(after covertly sending self-destruct codes to twenty-four of State Security's 8-megaton warships, destroying them will all hands aboard, about 150,000) 

If you have integrity nothing else matters.

If you don't have integrity nothing else matters.

U. S,.Senator Alan K.Simpson, Wyoming

There are a lot of people who do not want to think for themselves, who just want to be told what to do.  Their existence is aggravating to those who do not want to be told what to do.

Me.  

Just now.

You may quote me.

edit:

Sorry, it has been a long day.  Going to bed now.

7 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

It don't cost nothin' to be kind.

James Hugh Callahan 2020 AD

And my mama.  My whole life.

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I see this thread has taken a turn I did not anticipate. :blink::D

At any rate, the OP was a book quote. Movie quotes don’t count for purposes of points and prizes. 

You may continue.

You shouldn’t underestimate the dementia:blink: uhm demented:Perr creative minds here in the saloon.:lol:

“A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones.” 
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

I suppose our family is doing OK. Our dogs seem plenty happy.

21 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

There are a lot of people who do not want to think for themselves, who just want to be told what to do.  Their existence is aggravating to those who do not want to be told what to do.

Me.  

Just now.

You may quote me.

edit:

Sorry, it has been a long day.  Going to bed now.

Take your Teddy Bear, J Bar.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:25 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It's a great series. Let me know what you think of the last one. 

Oh! And my personal quote is:

"I'm fast enough to catch you if you mess up, and slow enough to make you look bad if I do!"

"There are three theories of understanding a woman.

None of them work."  

Will Rodgers

"The best way to double your money is to 

fold it in half and put it back in your pocket". 

Will Rodgers

Archived