SASS Wire Forum

Non-cowboy reloading question...

I have a Garand that hasn’t been shot in about two decades. Took it to the range today with some 20 year old reloads that were based on an M2 ball duplication load, the details of which were lost in a notebook during one of my many moves. 

After maybe five Pings, I had a misfire. Pulling the round, it appears that the previous round had the neck separate and stay in the camber. The next round entered the chamber but couldn’t fully seat, causing the light strike. Very lucky indeed!

After gathering the empties, I noticed that more than half the necks showed cracking and partial separation. These were all loaded using once fired Lake City national match brass. 

Any guesses what might might have happened?

710827EF-2F53-4AA0-B004-66DC624E24B7.jpeg

36208C3C-3579-4BDD-B0B6-3CB255B152E3.jpeg

Just read a posting elsewhere, that sounded very similar.   The author was talking about old rounds corroding between the case neck and bullet causing severe pressure spikes.  You mentioned it hadn't been fired in a long time and guessing reloads were same vintage.  He suggested putting the rounds ito your seating die , then bump the bullet in slightly to break the tension between the case and bullet.  Simple to try    Good Luck      GW

13 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Brass can harden with age making it brittle in some cases.  Some will say it doesn’t but google and will find many situations very similar.

True, depending on the conditions where it was stored.....

also are you sure it was once fired?

Annealing the necks might cure it.

Could be powder deterioration causing corrosion 

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581789

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

True, depending on the conditions where it was stored.....

also are you sure it was once fired?

Annealing the necks might cure it.

Could be powder deterioration causing corrosion 

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581789

When I bought my 8mm right after I bought some CHEAP German WWI corrosive ammo from like 1916. I has half expecting POOF. Nope, that stuff was hot as Hell's doorknob, d*mn near kick your teeth loose!

JHC

Im thinking corrosion from dissimilar metals. I would try pulling a couple of bullets and inspect the cases and bullets. If they are extremely difficult to pull it may indicate corrosion sticking the bullets, resulting in high and/or inconsistent pressures. Might be time to dump that bunch of rounds.

Imis 

I had the exact same thing happen years ago.. It was old Lake City ammunition, not reloads. I think UB is correct. Powder deterioration causing problems.

I hope that cartridge neck stuck in your chamber was easy to remove. I had one heckuva time getting one out of my chamber.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I'm thinking that brass is way past saving :lol:

Uh yeah, probly.

I meant the rest of his 50,000 rounds. :lol:

Archived